News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:44:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Big Mig question  (Read 805 times)

Offline John Crocker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Another Big Mig question
« on: June 26, 2007, 06:01:57 PM »
Should I take the screen off the venturi?  I know why its there, but it would seem that it could impede airflow.  Anybody cooked an engine in a crash because something flew into the venturi?

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: Another Big Mig question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:21:46 PM »
I have one that simply lost its screen a couple of years ago, I didn't take it out...can't tell any difference in how it runs.  I doubt it impedes the air flow to any significance.  I consider it sorta neutral--doesn't hurt anything; doesn't really help anything either.  Most engines don't have a venturi screen, and I haven't heard that it's a problem with them.  But I guess I'd just leave it alone.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »
If you are flying on grass etc, screen is a help to keep "stuff"out of the engine.
Note: Over time, the engine side of the venturi screen will tend to clog (looks like a light Castor film), not easily visible from the outside. I store mine nose down so any residual fuel or after run oil will collect on the screen. I periodically pull mine and clean it.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:40:26 PM »
John, i fly daily on grass and dirt and the cox engines i have without screens need to be taken apart regularly and dirt cleaned out of the reed and tank. I wouldn't think of taking the screens out of my norvels. If you fly in any dirt i would highly recommend keeping the screens in, as far as casto clogs go, i feel sure over time one small blast of engine cleaner would clear the screen and evaporate .
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here