News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:39:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airfoil shaped Balsa  (Read 909 times)

Offline Allan Leonard

• A&P Mech
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Airfoil shaped Balsa
« on: March 07, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »
In my building supplies file I list 9 balsa wood distributors. The only one that lists 1/4 x 4 x 36 airfoil shaped balsa is Sig. Last I checked, which was recently, they are out of stock. They have been out of stock since last November when I originally placed an order. Anyone know where I can find some?

Thanks,
Al

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Airfoil shaped Balsa
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 02:52:42 PM »
I would look for something like that on my workbench, after a session with whittling knives, wood planes, and a sanding block.

Even back in the day the Sig airfoiled stock was random grain (i.e., not C grain) and not terribly light.  The nice thing about doing it yourself is you can start with a selected weight of C-grain wood, which should make a much better airfoil.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »
I can't help you find the Sig airfoil balsa, but I had some and as you say, it's heavy.   I just built my last piece into a Buster for Goodyear.  15-powered Goodyears NEED the strength of hard balsa.

This stuff comes up in estate sales now and again.

Using glider stocks sure does save a lot of sawdust.  Plan B is a big belt sander from Harbor Freight.
Paul Smith

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 06:05:10 PM »
             Did you place your order with Sig? I placed mine a few months ago and even though it was out of stock, they sent it within 2 weeks. Sig first sent me a e-mail indicating out of stock but as soon as they had some I would receive it.

Offline Allan Leonard

• A&P Mech
  • Ensign
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »
Yes, I placed an order with Sig back in november for a bunch of balsa. I got an e-mail right away informing me that a lot of the balsa was back ordered and should arrive within two weeks. So I waited. After six weeks I cancelled the order. I saved the order summary and two weeks ago e-mailed the same order asking what was available. They e-mailed back and I was informed that non of the balsa I had originally ordered was in stock. Oh well, thanks for the input guys. I'll just move on to plan B. I picked up the plans from Aerofred a "Scorpion" 20 in. profile. It just struck me as a neat looking inexpensive easy build . I figured I could build a dozen of them and maybe get a lap.

Offline rich gorrill

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
We used to use that pre-airfoiled balsa for catapult launch gliders. It was a little heavy but could hold up to the stress of the catapult. Too bad there's none in stock, in fact I got it from sig a few years ago to make gliders for my 6 year old nephew.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here