News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A quick project to knock out.  (Read 990 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A quick project to knock out.
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
There’re a couple of projects that I’ve been wanting to do for a few years, but just never made time.  I can’t claim credit for the original idea.  I saw a sketch a few years ago on the idea and it stuck with me.  I don’t remember where, but I saw the sketch of an F8F Bearcat and a Zero both using a Baby Ringmaster wing.  Seemed a good idea, but neither plane looked quite right with the BRM wing.  The wing shape just didn’t match the planes.  But the more I looked at the BRM wing, the more I realized that its shape did work for an F4F Wildcat.  It wouldn’t be too much effort to do, but I just wasn’t in the mood to build a couple of BRM wings.  I know I could order a BRM kit from PDK or Brodak, but it seemed like too much money for just the wing.  Not saying the kits are not worth the money, just not what I want to invest in this idea.   So I put the project on the back burner until my plate cleared (yeah, right!) and I had time to scratch out a couple of BRM wings.

Back at the end of February, Doug Hart (WillyNillies) posted about their new BRM kit.  At $24.95, it was closer to being worth shelling out some dough, but not quite.  I asked Doug what it would cost for just the wing kit, and he eventually got back to me with a price of $16.95 for just the wing kit and hardware.  That was the sweet spot.  So, I ordered two wing kits and one BRM kit.  You can never have enough Baby Ringmasters.  Being the patriotic guy he is, Doug also gives a discount to active duty military and vets.  So that was another 5% off the total, before shipping.

The wing kits came a couple of weeks ago, but as usual, I was in the middle of a couple of other projects I needed to finish.  After pretty much getting done with the Snip, I cleared some space on the build table.  I really shouldn’t be starting a new project, but what the hell.  Looking through what’s supplied, I have everything but the leadout materials.  They got left out somehow.  No biggie, I have materials to make up a couple of leadouts, and it’s not worth calling them over.  The 5% discount more than makes up for the cost of the leadout wire and crimps.  The wing is laser cut, and well thought out.  It slides together in a few minutes and you just put a drop of CA, or whatever your preferred glue is, on the joints.  The wing builds in no time.  It’s not the standard BRM wing, so don’t expect it to be exactly like what you’d get from PDK, Brodak, Sterling, Estes, whoever.  But it’s a good wing.  Here it is built, but with only the top sheeting left to install:

I’ll close this out once I make a fuselage and know how long to make the elevator pushrod.  As you can see, the leading edge is a flat piece of 9/16”x1/8” balsa, as is the t.e, rather than a stick of square or rounded l.e. stock.  So what you get is a little different from your standard BRM wing.  But it’ll fly well.  I used thick CA to tack the ribs, as that’s what I had on hand without opening a new bottle of CA.  Next wing I’ll do everything I can with thin CA.

All the wing pieces, except the top sheeting and shear webs, are laser cut from one stick of 1/8”x3” balsa, so I’m not sure why he programmed the l.e. for 9/16” width.  Maybe to give the ribs plenty of mating surface.  He also cuts the wing ribs from the same 1/8” stock, so the ribs are very stout.  WillyNillies produces 13 plane kits, but only one of them is a CL plane, so I’m assuming Doug is mostly an RC guy and has little CL experience.  That’s probably why he designed this kit so stout.  Or maybe it just makes more economical sense for him to use the wood the way he does.  I’ll not second-guess him for making a good kit at a good price.

More to come…

Mark

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A quick project to knock out.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »
Found his site/shop and looks like he has good deals.   If you could see what the bay is getting for comparable kits. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 01:00:09 AM »
Over on RCG in the 1/2A section, he's grown quite a fan base.  I saw one post where he said he's shipped more than a thousand kits in the past year.  Good start for a garage business.  I initially ignored his stuff the first time I saw it, as he was making smaller versions of some classic designs and I didn't have any interest.  Then I realized his marketing strategy.  All his kits are targeted at 250 grams and below to avoid the FAA licensing rigamarole.  Now it all makes sense.

Mark

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 03:18:22 AM »
A little more time into this.  I cut the fuselage and drew my reference line.

Then I traced the cutout of the #1 rib and added around it to account for the rib sheeting.

Then I cut out the fuselage for the wing, and cut my tail surfaces.

My further plan of attack is to:
1)   Make the wire joiner for the elevators and install it.
2)   Hinge the stab/elevator with a MonoKote hinge. 
3)   Drill the elevator for the 1/2A control horn.
4)   Pin the stab in place and figure out the pushrod length, then cut to size.
5)   Finish cutting the elevators into two halves. I left the center balsa in place so it’d be easier to work with for the above 4 steps.
6)   Install the pushrod and glue on the remaining center sheeting.
7)   Cut the fuse for the engine bearers.
8 )   Temporarily mount the wing and then drill the engine bearers for the Medallion .049 I plan to use, using my homemade incidence tools to make sure the engine thrust line is 0° to the wing.
9)   Bend up the landing gear and drill the mounting holes in the fuse.
10)   Cut out and glue on the doublers.
11)   Cover the wings and fuse.
12)   Make up the roundels for the wings and fuselage, the stripes for the fin, and the canopy panels.
13)   Glue it all together.
14)   Take a bunch of pictures.
15)   Put it away on a shelf because I’m too chicken to fly it and possibly crash it.

Mark

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 06:38:35 AM »
Mark,
Have you discussed your homemade incidence tools before? Can. You post links?

This is something I'd like to replicate and use!

Thanks in advance,

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
Jim,

I did a write-up on my setup in this thread: https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/my-cheap-is-showing/msg542053/#msg542053

I keep thinking I'm going to take an evening to build up a 1/2A sized rig, as this one is so big.

Mark

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 07:14:39 PM »
Thanks Mark. I thought this concept sounded familiar. Once you get the 1/2A tools sorted, there is a bunch over on that little reedie site with red, black and white banners that would also appreciate the miniaturization! I'm marking this as a favorite now.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:20:19 AM »
Well, I was bad and didn’t take photos as I went, but I made the elevator joiner and then fabricated the stab and elevator.  I covered them and then pinned them in place to get the measurement for the elevator pushrod.  I cut the pushrod, and then installed the last center sheet piece. 

Then I installed the engine bearers and glued on the 1/32 ply doublers.  With the major construction finished, I then moved to the engine mounting.  I used my homemade jig to verify I was drilling the mounting holes properly.  I did remember to take a photo.  As you can see, the jig is way too huge for this model.  I just have to make a 1/2A sized jig.

With the holes drilled and the blind nuts installed and glued, I added a 3/32” tripler on the inboard side and sanded everything to shape.  Then I covered the fuselage with white MonoKote and blue EconoKote.  I have work tomorrow morning, so I had to stop for the night.  Not my neatest covering job, but okay for the task.  Here’s where she sits:

Mark

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 05:25:34 PM »
When I got home last night I decided to knock out the roundels.  It took a lot longer than I thought, using just an X-Acto knife, compass, and pair of scissors. 

They don’t look too bad for cutting these out free-hand.

Mark

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 05:34:03 PM »
Beautiful airplane, Mark,

Looking forward to the flight report!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 11:14:07 PM »
Mark, you done good!  You chose a good subject for that wing.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 03:45:08 AM »
Almost there.  Just three or four more little things and then it’ll be ready to glue everything together.  The canopy didn’t quite come out as it looked in my mind, but it’s okay.  I only had to re-do it two times.  The rudder came out good, I think.  Working with four different types of covering is something of a pain, though.  When putting the number on the sides, I found that the blue Monokote of the roundels had shrunk slightly.  I’ve never seen that happen before.  I debated for a long while about whether to put the cowling lines on it, but I went ahead and did it.  I kinda wish that my panel line pen was more of a grey than such a dark black.  The lines stand out a little too much for me.  I did the ailerons with the panel line pen but since the ailerons on the Wildcat were so surprisingly small, it just didn’t look right.  So I used some Monokote Trim Solvent and removed the lines.  Ah, well.

More when I finish it off in the next couple of days.

Mark

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 08:31:15 AM »

Man, I like it a lot...!!!
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
Mark,

Looks great!  H^^

I wish I could finish something as nice! Unfortunately, old age is getting to my once rock steady hands.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself Mark, it's instantly recognizable as a Wildcat so job well done!

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 03:02:56 AM »
Pretty much finished with this one.  ‘Bout the only thing left is to put on the right prop and other wheel collars.  I ran out of 1/16” wheel collars, and as far as I can find, the old Goldberg spring collars for 3/64” wire are unobtanium.  I think a Master Airscrew 5x3 three blade prop will look better on this so I ordered a couple.  Hopefully the wheel collars and props will be here by the weekend.  I also need to put some kind of padding under the tank to keep in from marring the EconoKote and to keep it from moving.

I like how this came out, but it’s a porker.  7.8 ounces ready to fly.  The balance point is right at 25%, which is slightly aft of where I like it.  I prefer 15%-20%, but oh well.  Hang test came out fine, though.

Almost ready to fly:

Mark

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 10:15:25 AM »
Very nice!  Congratulations!   H^^ H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here