News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A quick evening’s project.  (Read 762 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
A quick evening’s project.
« on: November 18, 2023, 03:15:39 AM »
A fellow club member is a 1/2A Snapper fan.  He’s built many since he was a boy, as he flew with the designer of the Snapper when he was a kid.  He has an original set of plans, and he’s very protective of them.  But, he wants to build another one, and he wants me to cut the kit for him.  I told him I could scan his plans and draw up the .svg files for my Cricut cutter and also make a .pdf of the cut file for his future use.  The original plans are slightly different from the ones on Outerzone, but not enough to make a difference if you’re not a Snapper expert.

I spent a few hours drawing up a cut file and then fighting with the Cricut Design Space program.  But, I finally figured how to work around the program’s issues and cut the parts out.

I may make on for myself at some time in the future, but I’m not really partial to the Snapper.

Mark 

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A quick evening’s project.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2023, 06:42:10 PM »
   I need to look into one of these machines. Are those parts just drawn out or cut? The one or two Cricut machines I have seen used a very small carbide knife to cut with. thought they were a very tiny router bit. Those parts look nice even if they are just drawn pn the balsa! If you ever decide to offer just those parts, let me know. I'm pretty sure I have a set of Snapper plans.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2023, 08:40:02 PM »
Mark,
When a given plan says "pack up with scrap," do you plan on adding extra material?  LL~

You've done well minimizing waste and packing parts into those sheets! I'm completely slack-jawed seeing this work. I'm sure the plane will be just as remarkable, and look forward to seeing it.

I really need to get my head in gear and learn my CNC router. Sigh.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 03:19:34 AM »
Dan, the parts are cut through the balsa sheet.  The Maker series of Cricut machines are used for balsa, either 1/16” or 3/32” sheet.  The blade is a cartridge that is geared to hold a blade that always faces the cut.  The lower end Cricut machines use blades that drag as they cut, so they wouldn’t work with Balsa.  I never thought of using the pen holder and drawing the parts like the old printwood kits from Comet or Megow.  Maybe if replacement blades get too expensive I might try that.  Or maybe I’ll try it anyway just to see how it works out.

I’m sorry, but making parts to ship is just too much of a headache.  The price of good balsa, shipping, packing materials, blade wear, mat wear, etc. is just not worth it.   I cut for myself or fellow club members and they give me balsa to replace what I cut up.  But, I would recommend these machines to anyone who likes making their own kits.  The one I have is the last generation.  I think I saw them still for sale at Hobby Lobby for $199.00 on sale.  But I’d bet that’s just liquidating inventory.  The Maker3 is the new thing, and is much more expensive at about $349.  I’d imagine if you looked at Craig’s List or eBay you might find a lightly used one for a good price.

Jim, I initially bought one of those cheap laser cutting machines, but it was too long and complicated a process, and safety of working with lasers was also a concern.  CNC is beyond my ability or inclination.  For this Cricut machine, I use a freeware program called Inkscape to draw the parts, and the Cricut DesignSpace software drives the machine.  It didn’t take long to figure it out, and I find it quite easy to make kits or short kits.  I just draw all the parts, then arrange them to maximize wood usage.  The short kit shown used two sheets of 4”x36” 1/16” balsa, completely using one sheet and 24” of the other sheet.  Using Hobby Lobby wood, it’s about $7 worth of wood.  I have to buy at Hobby Lobby locally because the local HobbyTown wood selection is pathetic.  The Hobby Lobby wood labels say the wood is from Guillow’s.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 07:41:12 AM »
I have to buy at Hobby Lobby locally because the local HobbyTown wood selection is pathetic.
Are you prone to understatement?  Something happened to HobbyTown.  They used to have most of what I needed to build.  Their wood was not the lightest, but it was clear and good grain and you could talk to store people that knew what a model airplane was.

We have two locally.  About three years ago that all changed.  Their stock slowly depleted and they weren't replacing it. The excuses got more and more exotic.  "My dog ate the balsa shipment" and the classic "We don't sell enough to keep it in stock and we have to order too much to do special orders".  I simply gave up.  Haven't been there in years.  Hobby Lobby doesn't have a person in the entire store that knows what balsa is used for but someone at corporate does because they are always well stocked and if you check frequently, you can get some really nice wood in the 5-7lb range which is ok for the way I build.   I am not one in search of the zero weight stunter anyway.

Comically in their supplies department they have several full racks of CA Debonder and CA Accelerator but they don't carry CA glue.   One of life's mysteries.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here