News:

• April 27, 2024, 07:44:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A good all round 1/2A control line wire?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A good all round 1/2A control line wire?
« on: September 28, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »
I normally fly anything from an OK Cub 0.49 to A Wasp 0.61. I would like to standardise on a single source of C/L wire. I have got a little wary of Spectra Wire as I am having difficulty in locating a UK source of the "right stuff", although lots of ebay stuff of dubious pedigree. I am also put off by the business of isi t prestreatched or not and the continuing problem of reported failures when a plane crosses the circle and breaks the stuff at the terminations. If you need to terminate it as if it is conventional wire, then you may as well use conventional wire!
  Right now I am tempted to lay in a stock of 12 thou multistrand (MBS Model Supplies have done me proud in 15 and 18 thou multistrand). My only bother is that it may be a bit heavy for some of the marginal powered planes that I have?
  Any comments? Perhaps I am being overhard on Spectra Wire? It still has the attraction of being less fussy in handling and storage, but mixed reviews!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: A good all round 1/2A control line wire?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
On low power (OK .049) non high performance models Dacron is fine, the multi strand one has very little streach to it.  Higher performance models (Stunt/Combat) with stronger engines engines require stronger wire like .008 (easy to kink) to .010.  Okay now everyone will disagree.

Larry

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »
I was told to use spiderwire.  I think the generic term is "braided fishing line" -- perhaps you could do a web search on that, and see what UK suppliers pop up?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Yup, I disagree....008 = legal, sufficiently strong, but a Real Bother to mess with...it kinks if you look at it crosswise.  Handle it almost literally with kid gloves, don't ever let it drag across the ground (paved or grass either one), when untwisting after a flight you must be VERY CAREFUL to avoid introducing a kink...it's good for competition because it's so light and low drag, but for sport flying, or even much practice flying, I wouldn't use it (and don't).  

I use Spiderwire almost exclusively, up to 48' and .061-powered combat wings.  But if you're uneasy about that, I have a set of .012 multistrand and it works OK even with the mild-mannered Cox Surestarts, etc.  Yes, a little draggy; just set your LO guides a little further back.

I never saw Dacron that wasn't stretchy.  Not to say it doesn't exist, Larry says it does so it does, but this is the first I've heard of it.

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »
Yes! The Cox supplied Dacron I find to be a nightmare, it is so stretchy that I have some difficulty in flying a decent flight of any kind. I would go for Dacron for low powered stuff if I could find some that didn't stretch!
  I have used one reel of the 0.08 and find that to be another can of worms from the point of view of handling. Never seen 10 thou multistrand for sale (any hints as to where). That is the reason I was thinkinking of the 12 thou, cheap, readily available and much more user friendly!
  As to Spider Wire, I have googled extensively, I am not sure of the poundage one should use and virtually none of the suppliers state if it is prestreached. I have heard that not all Spider Wire is equal and looking at the huge variation in prices over here, makes me a little suspicious.

Thanks for your input so far

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »
There are several advantages to Spectra control-lines.  One is that you can get them in yellow color so they are visible on the ground.  The other is that you can't hurt them by stepping on them, even on pavement!  Also, they don't kink or curl.  They are less expensive than .008 wire and at least here in "the colonies", way more available.  On the downside, they do soak up oil eventually.

Making the standard ends isn't all that difficult, and you have to do that with wire too.

The key is to be sure the box has "Spectra" marked on it.  Spiderwire is no longer Spectra, but several other brands are.  There probably are other line brands that function as well as those marked Spectra, but why bother experimenting when you can get the material you know will work.

I have never come across Spectra that had any stretch to it that I could feel.  Also, I just use the thinnest material I can find, and have had no failures now that I use the line ends instead of tied ends.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:23:07 AM »
HISTORY 101:

"Jim" Walker flew his 1938 Fireball (.23 powered) on heavy carpet thread.  Up until 1960 many 1/2A kits recommended carpet thread for control lines then along came Dacron lines and thousands of fliers flocked to them.  I am NOT saying that these things are good today ... I am saying that if you are still flying a OK Cub .049 you can use anything for flying lines. 
     For ANY more modern engines or for any type of performance oriented flying you need to get better lines.  Contest; most seem to require .008 I DO NOT LIKE THEM FOR THE REASONS EXPRESSED BY EVERYONE.  I never tried Spectra but it sounds good - if you are a contest flier check to see if it is allowed.

Ray, you said that you disagreed then you seemed to agree with I said - we are one.

Larry

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »
Making the standard ends isn't all that difficult, and you have to do that with wire too.

Do you wrap around an eyelet?  The eyelets that I have seen are all way too big for the small "1/2-A" sized line clips that I see Sig et. all selling -- do you use extra-small eyelets (and where do you get them?!?) or do you use something different for line clips?  Do you tie around the eyelet, make a little hangman's noose, make some sort of fisherman's knot, swage an aluminum tube*, or do the "wrap, wrap and glue" method?

I've only had one failure, ever, with SpiderWire and that was the flight right after a "slack and jerk" experience, and it did, indeed, break off right at the knot.  So finding a better way to do my line ends is on my "to do" list.

* I'm just trying to be complete, here.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
           My son has been flying 1/2 A combat competitively since last year. I made him 2 sets of lines in which both set has been in line tangles, mid airs, line jerks, etc. This has been the Spiderwire brand lines. He's used these lines for the past 8 months.  We inspect them frequently  for fraying. The knot has been the polomar knot at the termination of both ends. I leave a tag after the knot 3/4" exactly to insure no slippage has taken place. I'm sold on it for strength and durability. I haven't used ca to secure the knot as I feel that would surely flex and cause a failure. I'm tying directly to a small line clip. I found the knot with a pictorial on how to tie it on the internet. The knot is very easy to tie up except for when your trying to make two lines identical. This takes patience which I quickly run out of.I'm still a fan of the braided stainless but the Spiderwire lines are great for when you know your lines are in jeopardy when lots of people are nearby. We all would like to say that even experienced pilots aren't going to step on your lines, but it does happen. This makes for quick destruction of your stainless lines. Unfortunately, the only available color in the local stores here are moss green. They're completely invisible in the grass. I have also listened to others stating about stretching. I've flown all these planes as well and haven't experienced this. I believe the confusing part when buying this material is how the manufacturers describe it on the package. As an example it will say 30lb/ 8lb diam. I assum the 8lb diam. is being compared to monofilament of that pound test. I'm not sure myself. I may be using a lb. test that is way higher than what I actually need hence the fact that I haven't had any problems. I've posted myself on what size to use and have received 5 different answers. All answers may have been correct. This is where all the confusion may be. I had answers with 10lb differences. As the lb. test strength increases with Spiderwire so does the diameter. Its just that even with the higher lb. test ratings the line diam is quite small.  Ken

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »
For years I used stainless .012 cable, recently I have switched to the "Spectra" braided fishing line. It comes in a variety of colors, I use yellow, It is available from numerous mail order houses if you can't find it in a local store. Last time I bought it I got it from Bass Pro Shops.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=739094&destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D738579%26WT.tsrc%3DCSE%26WT.mc_id%3Dpricegrabber%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D738579%26rid%3D40%26mr%3AreferralID%3D8cff6aa3-eb05-11e0-9e9c-001b2166c62d&WTz_l=YMAL%3BIK-115246
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:26:49 PM by john vlna »

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
HISTORY 101:

Ray, you said that you disagreed then you seemed to agree with I said - we are one.

Larry

well, you said "everyone will disagree" so I was just fulfilling the prophecy...

I was disagreeing about Dacron lines.  And about recommending .008 SS lines.  You did say they are easy to kink, so I concede that.  and I suppose if I could actually experience non-stretch Dacron I might agree on that.  The stuff I tried (long ago) was kinda like flying on rubber bands.  Even tried "pre-stretching" to get the springiness out;  may as well try to pre-stretch that rubber band and expect it to turn into a piece of string.

I'm certain we are "one" on most everything.  Don't take anything I say very seriously 'cause I don't!
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
Ray,
    I,m just shy of 67 years old, had three strokes, lost all of my hair and things that I can not even remember having ... I don't have enough time left to take anything seriously - least of all anything that I say as I can't remember anything that I say anyway.
    My doctor asked me how I feel about growing old.  I told her that as long as you can do it with someone that you really love it isn't so bad.  My wife recently beat Cancer so life is good again.

Larry

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:51:05 AM »
Braided Spectra (BS) is the proper name, and it beats anything I have ever used. Stretch is just a fable, with properly prepared BS lines, as it all has to be pre stretched only due to it's braiding in a tubular shape, and then being wound under slight tension on a spool, so it forms a flattened shape on the spool. Of course it will curl into a rats nest if allowed to unwind from the supply reel without tension, but a slight amount of tension can control that, and a little more tension will pull the flat ribbon back into a tubular shape where it will remain.

Stay away from any Spectra line that is described as fusion line. Some of the early Spider Wire was Fusion line, and does not stand up to shock, as the outer sheath is hardened and can not flex as much as braided Spectra.

Several people have tried CA to lock their knots to prevent slipping, but with disastrous results, as the CA only forms a stress riser and causes eventual failure. If tied properly with a Palomar knot, and enough tag end to watch for slipping, mine has never slipped or let go. The animated instructions at Grog's Fishing Knot site make this a dead simple knot, and the line clips I prefer are the old slider lock types. Just pretend that the clip end is like an elongated fishing hook eye, and slip the loop of the Palomar knot over the entire clip as you would the shank of a hook.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:38 AM »
As far as line ends are concerned with Spectra, please look at my thread in the rules section.  I detail out what I use.  Basically, I make a teardrop shaped tube for the line end, and use a ferrule with the line through and wrapped around it with three crimps to secure the termination.  1/16" aluminum tubing is used, and I chamfer the inside of each end of both pieces of tube to prevent cutting.

Unlike my experience with knots, I can get the line lengths precisely matched within about 1/8".  If this can be done with the knots that are recommended, I'd love to hear about it.

I will admit that I didn't know about wetting the thread as you pull the knot tight.  That may make a huge difference in the self-cutting problem.

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »
Ray,
    I,m just shy of 67 years old, had three strokes, lost all of my hair and things that I can not even remember having ... I don't have enough time left to take anything seriously - least of all anything that I say as I can't remember anything that I say anyway.
    My doctor asked me how I feel about growing old.  I told her that as long as you can do it with someone that you really love it isn't so bad.  My wife recently beat Cancer so life is good again.

Larry

How bout that, we're "one" in age too!  Well almost; I'll be 68 in Nov.  Agree completely with the lovable companion, approaching our 44th anniversary in Dec.  So far so good.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
Ray, do you remember when ....ah- what was I saying ... oh well I forget now .... D>K

Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
On the lower powered planes, go with shorter lines.   Especially if you are just sport flying.   I have not used .008 wire since it was out lawed in Mouse Racing.   I use the .010 wire that is required for racing and .012 cable for stunt and sport flying.  Dacron is only good for those that don't know any better until they try the same plane with cable lines. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
Young whippersnappers!  n1 67 and 68,  I gotch'a by a year!  VD~

DesignMan

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 03:09:04 PM »

The master speaks...
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »
Since we have license to disagree  n1, I guess that forces me to do so with regards to steel lines.
I have been using .008 steel cable for many years and none of my lines has ever broken or kinked for that matter. Of course, I do handle them carefully, but not more so than any of my other lines. I keep them clean, wound on good reels and stored in zip lock plastic bags when not in use. Maybe I have just been lucky that no one has driven their bikes over them or got them tangled in their feet.

Orv.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 05:40:02 AM »
                 Orv, my son and I are the only two that fly 1/2 A at our club. We had two sets of the .008's. One set that was 35' which was used exclusively for all Cox stuff and a 42' set used for Norvel and the likes. I actually made the same statement as yourself up above and some of the guys were quite surprised at the lifespan we were achieving. Soon after, flying my Dumas Lil Tomahawk the plane got light on the windy side flew out onto the opposing and snapped the down line. This was Tee Dee powered and I always felt it was the Tee Dee that did it. I trimmed down the 42's I had to 35' and a similar problem occurred with a Black Widow so my theory went out the window. I bumped my steel lines to .012 and never had that problem again. I don't want to wreck any of my models due to line failures. I was using Sig lines at the time. I think my problems were more from the crush sleeve which may have cut the line. I chamfered all my sleeves after that and installed shrink tube over them. It takes more time but it takes the tick out of the time bomb. I'm still a fan of the steel lines. I just feel that for the usage I'm putting the model through steel is not cost effective as I'd probably be replacing a set every time we fly. We had a fly away last year in 1/2 A in which the flyaway model was using steel while the other pilot was using synthetic. Action was taking place so fast I couldn't tell you what happened. It may have just been a coincidence that the steel just got caught in the prop. I do know it was .012. The model was not damaged and didn't go very far. I know that most flyaways occur when the lines are drug across each other at a angle. This usually caused fraying then the inevitable takes place. Ken

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 07:41:22 AM »
Hi Andrew,
 I am also located in the UK and I have used Spectra Power Pro Braid on a small Vic Smeed "Chubby" Biplane with no issues. I got mine from GiantCod. http://www.giantcod.co.uk/power-braid-20lb-p-405886.html (They are actually a model shop despite the name).

This may well be totally the wrong stuff to use but I have had no issues so far and not noticed any stretching or similar.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 05:49:12 AM »
Thanks everyone!
It seems that 12 thou steel lines are OK even for Cox engines (on 35 feet lines). So I will go that way for now. Thanks John, for the tip about Giant Cod. It seems that, like me, it isn't that easy to source the right stuff in the UK. If you have had no trouble so far, it may be worth a punt, providing that the stuff isn't too expensive!

Thanks again!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:40 AM »
Here has been my experience to date. 

So far no one ever seems to remember what they purchased and use vs what they found to be inferior.

I have tried to read nearly everything that I can on the “fishing line” lines.  To date I never get a “complete” answer that is “Specific” enough to go out and purchase the “Same Exact product” that someone else here claims to be using.  I have bought, tested and returned many boxes of line from the specialty fishing shops as well as Walmart. The stuff is expensive and I no longer fish.

My simple test has been to use two pieces of ½ inch steel rod. One goes in the bench vise and the other one goes in my hands. A knotted loop goes over the rod in the vise and another around the one in my hand and I carefully stretch it till it breaks. Any fishing line no matter what the numbers are, braided or not breaks sooner than Dacron. (Run on Sentence here) I’ll admit that the Dacron does indeed stretch but it stretches for one hell of a long time before it breaks and I am pulling a lot harder on it than any of the models I have been flying.  All the fishing line was inconsistent as to when it would break. The Dacron was predictable.  As far as a comparison to the steel lines.. well they just work.

I would love to try one of these “fishing line” products but based on the lack of specific product details along with the testing I just don’t trust the stuff. I ran the same test on a spool of stuff a friend of mine was using successfully and after he watched me do it he quit using it. 
I think it would be helpful if when talking about these lines the resource produced a photo of the box or a product number. 

Until then I have deemed this all a disinformation campaign. All of you are either using Dacron or Steel and the fishing line story is a ruse to cause everyone else to be in a perpetual stage of fabrication at the workbench building new planes or gluing the old ones back together.

Mark

PS: Last Sunday we were test flying a new Mouse Racer and during the refueling had to flag down a knucklehead in a Pickup who tried to drive across the lines. I guess he was more concerned with his phone conversation than the driving bit.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
[SNIP]So far no one ever seems to remember what they purchased and use vs what they found to be inferior.[/SNIP]

[SNIP]I think it would be helpful if when talking about these lines the resource produced a photo of the box or a product number. 

Until then I have deemed this all a disinformation campaign. [/SNIP]

Well I provided a web link to the product I have used in my post above, and that has a photo showing the product.

If you want more info you could always contact the seller, I'm sure they would be able to tell you what you want to know.

TTFN
John.
BMFA 165249

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Most certainly you provided a link and so far your it. so far this has all been like referring to ever copy machine by any manufacturer as a Xerox.

Often this is all referred to as Spider Wire instead of Fishing Line.

You didnt mention which one of the sizes you were using however. Could you please share that?
Have you done any form of pull test so far? What are your experiences? What types of models are you flying on it.

I am sure when I get to the fishing joint there will be at least 5 other versions of this product or more so that link and photo you shared will be valuable to all.

When I was in Bass Pro Shops with my Uncle years ago I asked him "how many of these products are meant to catch people rather than fish?" 

Mark

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
Mark,

Try this link. The Western Filament web site even shows on-line dealers, and it's carried by many of the big names in sporting goods. Cabelas, Bass Pro, and others.

http://www.tuf-line.com/products_TUF-Lines_1.html

This is the brand and type of braided Spectra that at least four of us half-A enthusiasts in our club (NW Fireballs) have been using for several years now.

The single failure we have seen was caused by one person who used CA to harden the Palomar knot, as I mentioned in an earlier message. It hardened the knot, and wicked into the line as well, which cause a stress riser, and eventual fractures at that point.

One other near mishap was caught when one of the guys adjusting his line length under tension, had one of the knots pull out. This was most likely caused by improper tightening of the knot, which was also thoroughly soaked in Castor oil.

Be sure to read the knot tying instructions carefully, as they caution against letting the line cross over itself in the knot. Simply holding the doubled lines side by side, while pulling the knot tight should eliminate the loss of strength caused by any cross over.

I have 10, 20, and 30 pound test, all in hi-visibility yellow Tuf Line XP, but have only used the 20 pound so far. The two heavier weight lines are gross overkill for half-A.

Bill

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 10:29:04 AM »

Rated pound test  Mono equivalent    Actual Break strength  Diameter in inches
20 LB                   6 LB                   27 LBS                      0.008

Thanks for that info. The yellow color is awesome as its easy to lose this stuff especially when green.
When they say that the mono equiv is 6 lb that must refer to the diameter of 6lb mono.

You know it might be easier to always refer to any of these products by the diameter of the line rather than the LB test as the rest can get lost in the marketing hype.

Mark

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
If I recall correctly, the diameter varies by manufacturer, so I use the rating in pounds test, when selecting my Spectra lines.

Tuf Line XP also comes in 6 pound test, but I've yet to find a stocking dealer.

Even the ten pound test was hard to find, and I ended up ordering from "Hook Her Tackle" in Florida, who then had it drop shipped from the plant in Colorado. Now a local fishing tackle dealer stocks most weights, but still nothing as light as 6 pound test XP.

Bill

Offline Mark Misegadis

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »
Huh .. Okay,

Well I am in Colorado and it may be available here at one of the specialty tackle shops. The lighter weights should be stocked as that is appropriate for Trout fishing.
I will take a look and let you know.

BTW: This is also where all the great Beer is at.   #^

Mark

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 05:20:14 PM »
Hi Mark,
 To answer your other question. The product I used is the one shown in the link (20lb). I have pull tested it but only to 10lb's (Which is way in excess of anything that my 5.5oz model is going to throw at it). I have used both the Palomar (sp)?? knot and also a "Hangmans noose" knot. I have had no problems with either slipping as yet and I do not use CA or anything just tie it tight.

I guess it might be an idea to do a pull test until it breaks, I'll sort out my reel and see at what point it lets go and report back

TTFN
John.

BMFA 165249

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 06:51:08 PM »
Mark,

We lived in Denver for almost five years. Still have family and friends there, so we visit as often as we can.

Flew mostly Ringmasters, and Shoe Strings there, with Fox and McCoy 35 engines.

Took one of my Ringmasters to fly at sea level  (Baltimore), and could not believe how well it flew there!  ;D

John,

I also plan to pull test the Tuf Line XP, and will use Palomar knots, and the same Half-A slider type line clips that most of us fly with.

Will let you know if I ever get around to it, as I'm pretty well known to be very slow getting things finished.  ;D

Bill

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 06:05:15 PM »
Forever Flying, L.L.C.
2528 Spring Ave, SW
Decatur, AL 35601-6345
(beside Whitt's BBQ--one block north of the Beltline)

Link to Directions

Phone: (256) 308-0988
Fax: (256) 308-0658
Email: info@foreverflying.com

Store Hours: Monday-Saturday / 10am-6pm CST
Manager: Shawn E. Donahoo

Kite fliers use Spectra line because it doesn't streach.  Shawn has a varity of sizes in bulk.  Email him and tell him what you want.  The last batch I bought from him was white.  Is true - no streach.  He will ship most anywhere
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
Many years ago we flew 1/2A reed Goodyear racers on 008 solid lines.  The airplanes were very light and we had a lot of trouble with lines sticking together.  Flying 1/2A stunt with TDs I have always used Sig 008 cables.  I wrap the ends as I don't trust my crimping on something that small.  I haven't had any trouble to speak of.  They do have to be handled carefully and thoughtfully.  I have several rolls and will use them if I need them in the future. 

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
Gotcha, speak for yourself young whippersnapper!  71!
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
Gotcha, speak for yourself young whippersnapper!  71!

Well, all you *old geezers* ( LL~ LL~ LL~ ) I am a baby faced young'un!  Only 60 years old here, but rode hard and put up wet all the time when I was even younger.

(need to check the "size" of my fishing line I fly 1/2A with! LL~ LL~ )

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here