News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1st build in 40 years...Combat Kitten  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
1st build in 40 years...Combat Kitten
« on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:04 PM »
Here it is.  The build I've waited 40 years to do.  As you will see,  age does not necessarily mean aquiring the skill sets needed to build.  However, I'm posting this so that perhaps other newcomers may learn from my numerous and horrific mistakes, and to hopefully give the experienced guys a headshaking laugh.  After purchasing what I thought would be everything I needed to start I took the plunge complete with an almost complete kit off E-Bay and an incorrect type .049 engine.  Here's the 1st pic of the glued wing section.  Don't laugh...I almost gave up here.  I read afterwards of constructing a jig of course.  Building a wing section without one is difficult to do without a jig and me trying would have made a good comical study on film.

The second picture is of the motor mount disaster.  I couldn't figure out how I could make the mount strong enough.  As a 10 year old, the problem I had was the motor vibrating itself off the mount.  I thought I could coutersink glued nuts into the balsa mount.  Wrong.  Then I was looking at the small hardware at the hobby shop and discovered blind nuts.  Problem solved.  Sorry the pics are a bit out of sync.  2150 is the pic of the semi finished motor mount.  One can see where I drew the blind nuts down hard with washers and bolts to the plywood face.  I was pleased with the result.

Pic 2142 shows a major botch which I was able to save.  Due to inattention to detail I actually managed to get the main spar into the wing upside down.  I didn't realize it until I tried to find the cut out for the bellcrank, which I noticed was on the wrong side.  Sigh...  I cut an ugly hole as best I could to accomodate the hardware and the result can be seen.  This improper installation would come back to haunt me later as well.  Pic 2148 shows the underside of the assembly which I beefed up with some extra staves and epoxy.  Turned out to be very strong.
Wilder Eber

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
Re: 1st build in 40 years...Combat Kitten
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »
     Pic 2155 shows my version of leadouts.  No consideration being given to saving weight, I wanted crash survivabilty over speed.  Yeah right... 
     Pic 2158 shows another result of the main spar being improperly installed.  The center panels peaked over the spar instead of fitting flush.  On close observation one can see where I tried to sand out the peak with mixed results.  I kept reminding myself of the youtube video of the flying lawnmower.....
     Pic 2164 shows that my efforts are starting to resemble the picture on the box, and it was at least progress.  Pic 2168 shows the bottom side is cleaning up nicely with some filler and lots and lots of sanding.  I was starting to look forward to the covering of the kit.  Pic 2168 shows the sanded control horn, which led me to decide to try and keep the plywood parts unpainted, if I made it that far.
Wilder Eber

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:42:30 PM »
     Pic 2236 shows the end result of a lot, and I mean a lot of sanding, doping, sanding, doping, sanding, ad nauseum.  The thing is, I found that the OCD part of me was becoming addicted to this part because I could see the results.  Every coat and sanding made the model better.  Finally I had to use the 5 foot rule and stop.  Pic 2237 shows another major foulup I don't know how I could have prevented.  The major dilemna here was fillets or no fillets.  I chose not this time.  Better to try to make this one as good as could be considering the mistakes already made.  Next time would be better.  Did I just say next time?    Definitely.....
     Pic 2243 shows again the results of patient sanding.  This is about 6 coats of SIG 50/50 dope/thinner, sanded between each coat.  Fortunately I read some posts on sanding and never once sanded through the paper at the ribs or edges.  I will next time however. do more sanding and rounding of edges before covering.  The part of covering I feared most, the wingtips, actully turned out great.  I really enjoyed this part of the build and seeing how silkspan works.  Amazing stuff.
     Pic 2245 shows my painting rigging with the model masked with Pic 2248 showing 3 coats of Rustoleum and masking removed.  To say I was delighted would be an understatement.
Wilder Eber

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »
     Pic 2250 shows a ding in the elevator I didn't see and have no idea how it happened.  Talk about paint accentuating mistakes...  Pic 2251 shows the result of improper paint coverage caused by using spray cans.  I was very careful to spray lightly due to the weight of Rustoleum, but this can be the result.  Fortunately, RO sands easily and covers even better.  This was an easy fix.  The rest of the Pics just show what the model looks like in the sun with some of the painting errors corrected.  More Pics tomorrow where I will post the final result and commentary.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:17:00 AM by Augsburger »
Wilder Eber

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:29 AM »
Before I post the last of the series tomorrow, Thanks to the following for their patience and advice:  Ty Marcucci, Larry Renger, Tim Wescott, and Bill Little. The members on this forum are most outstanding.  Can't wait to buld the next one...
Wilder Eber

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Looks fine! y1

Next time, think of butting the sheeting to the spar instead of laying it over it.  Much less effort to get it flush.  Also, Duplicolor spray cans (automotive lacquer) will allow you to patch the silkspan using dope.  Duplicolor Clear Wheel coating is fuel proof as much as Rustoleum so it can be "all lacquer".  You will have to use Min Wax Polyurethane or something similar to patch the wings painted with the Rustoleum.

Give up on crash survivability! LL~  The small planes do a pretty good job of not exploding because they are pretty light.  Larger planes should explode if built correctly! LL~  Unless you have a very large engine compared to the size of the plane, light weight is your friend in "flyability".

Keep it up, great "comeback". y1
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:02:01 PM »
Thank you Bill.  You've been a great help.

Here's the last three.  The decal bubbles have since been rubbed out. (took pics while there was still light and decals were wet).  Still need to clear dope the top side, tie off the lead outs, and attach the control horn.  Mounted motor for effect.  Decals are for fun.  Hope no one is offended, I made myself an instant ace.    The Black Widow was a NIB and broken in today.  After I took it apart and cleaned it, it actually started the first turn of the prop and ran the first tank dry.  (low rpm's)  Hope you enjoyed the post.  Cheers
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:56:35 PM by Augsburger »
Wilder Eber

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
(deleted) now I have to go get my Kitten kit and scratch up the missing parts and get it together!

Very nice job!!!!!!!! Looks great
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:56:26 PM by Bill Little »

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
Thanks Jamie!  If you need a template of a missing piece PM me and I'll send it to you...
Wilder Eber

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
          I built three combat kittens so far. My all time favorite was with the Black Widow. The plane just balances very nice and it flies well. The Combat Kitten flies much better than a Lil Satan in my opinion. I would advise you to turn that cylinder so that its not sticking up in the air. I took Larry Renger's suggestion of turning the cylinder inboard. It works very well. Ken

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »
well I do need to know if the ribs of the outboard side are the same as all the other ribs. SOmething is telling its not. My dad has the plans or instructions at his house but I wanna say from R5 on to the right I need. and the Boom template for sure.
When I bought my kit off of ebay a few years ago. I was told there was enough parts for 2 and half planes. Wrong.  Barely enough for 1.

I have both TE and LE sets. Wing tips. and inboard and center ribs. And nose block assembly. I wanna say

Lets see what I have. Goin by part number.

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »
R3
R4
R2
R2

Spar thats notched

TE and LE

wingtips

Elevator

R10
L2
t2,t3,t4
b1
Wing Trailing edge
F 1-6
and pushrod!

Wouldnt take much!

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
@Ken...OK, sounds like a good idea to me, inboard it is.  Will do.

@Jamie...Roger...PM sent
Wilder Eber

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 06:42:26 AM »
It's a great looking little plane, but in the world of 1/2A combat, a fully painted wing is rare.

If you build another, you might think about clear dope and dyed silk or silkspan.  A half or quarter-ounce in vital on one of these.

The Little Satan was (as others have mentioned) undersize and the Combat Kitten was not so undersize and thus a lot better.  Back in another era I helped some neighbor kids strip down Jumping Bean to its basic necessaties and it performed very well as a 1/2A combat plane.

Pitchered here is a 15-size Clown, built light with tissue and dope and powered by a TeeDee .049.  It's under 8 ounces and with 200 square inches, does the AMA & OT patterns (on the same tank of fuel) quite easily. 
Paul Smith

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 06:53:59 AM »
Wilder,  great pics and story!  It really brings back memories of just a couple of years ago for me. You will be suprised at how fast you will progress in your building skills and look back on this and smile! Oh yeah,  those little dings will never go away    n~
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
Paul...  your Clown inspires me to do better.   What a slick Plane!

Ray...  thanks for the boost!
Wilder Eber

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
Neat project!  Welcome back.  Somehow, I suspect that the emblem on your decals is not the original from the kit.   LL~

And definitely, on a plane that size, even 1/4 ounce is significant.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
As the guys say, with the 1/2As lighter is better.  A minimal finish, light wood, minimum of glue, all the "tricks" will result in a better flying plane.  But for your own needs, make yourself happy!  A little better looking model makes us feel better sometimes.  If you want maximum performance, you will pick up the "tricks" pretty quickly. ;D

Neat decals, they look great on the plane.  Glad you're back and enjoy this crazy hobby the second time around!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »
Nice modelling of a hot unit. But too much investment to trash in a combat match. I still have the second half of an original Twin Kittens Top Flite kit. I bashed the first half by giviing it conventional tail feathers and a super thin/super light conventional profile fuselage with a two wheel L/G. A sporty lil' trick indeed on a Golden Bee!! The Baby Flite Streak wing design is killer!!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 02:38:04 PM »
HI Victor,

Does the Combat Kitten use the Baby Flight Streak wing?  (never had one).

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Augsburger

• Augsburger
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 03:53:17 PM »
FYI...this week a Flite Streak kit went for $96.00 on Ebay and a Combat Cats kit went for $157.00. 
Wilder Eber

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
FYI...this week a Flite Streak kit went for $96.00 on Ebay and a Combat Cats kit went for $157.00. 

Yep,

Collectors will pay what some would consider "big bucks" for a good condition original kit. 

I haven't done a "cost analysis",  but I would be interested in seeing just how much a scratch built model would compare to the costs of a kit.  The cost of the materials needed to construct one would be interesting to me.  Especially comparing a "collector kit".  But then, building the kit isn't the point of collecting. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline JamieHolford

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 05:43:47 PM »
I jsut wish someone would reproduce the kittens and Cats.  ( hint hint Pat J or K )

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
Talk to Pat King.  I think he already has cad drawings for the Baby Flite Streak, and if the Kitten uses that wing, it would be simple for him to draw up the other parts. y1

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Victor Jeffreys

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 06:14:56 PM »
RE: Big Bear--"Does Kitten use Baby Flite streak wing. . . ?" -- yes and no--same fat airfoil, wing tips, and structural design but slightly less wing span. All George Aldrich.

Yeshttps://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Aldrich-George.pdf     

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
RE: Big Bear--"Does Kitten use Baby Flite streak wing. . . ?" -- yes and no--same fat airfoil, wing tips, and structural design but slightly less wing span. All George Aldrich.

Yeshttps://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Aldrich-George.pdf     

Hi Victor,

As long as it's the same "rib", Pat K. has it on file so the rest would be easy to get right.  Changing the wingspan shouldn't be difficult for him to do.  I would think he would probably be able to supply a laser cut rib set, and the rest of the build shouldn't take much wood.  All that would be needed is a set of full size plans then. 

I never had the Combat Kittens but I did build a Lil' Satan for a friend back in the '60s. ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here