News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/4A FLEET--flight report  (Read 807 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
1/4A FLEET--flight report
« on: June 28, 2007, 03:56:19 PM »
Just got in from my long trek (about 20 feet out my back door) to my 1/4A flying circle, AKA the back yard.  Flew all 3 models, reminder pics below.

The ShedDoor (red one) flew well as usual, just like before the rebuild from the garage eave incident. Loops, lazy eights, bogs down some, requiring a level lap to get back to speed, but lotsa fun.  It did get a little loose overhead.

The Coroplast Quickie (II) was kind of a wild ride, tailheavy as could be, I need to sweep the wing back a little more severely to get the C/L back to where the C/G is.  Insisted on doing a rollercoaster impersonation in "level" flight. Sure would do tight, albeit sloppy, lazy eights.

The yellow/orange "Chizler" lookalike, well, I'm pleased as punch with it!  I haven't had a model fly so well right off the board in a long time.  This airplane is perfect as it sits.  Smooth, stable, beautiful loops and turns...I did inside loops, outside loops, lazy eights, then got brave and tried AMA eights, vertical eights, overhead eights, even square loops. Never bobbled, hesitated or got light on the lines anywhere.  Glided a full lap after shutdown, no whipping, I was able to set it down on my patio for beautiful landings. 

The prop on it is a 3 1/2d./2 1/2p. 3-blade.  The PeeWee loves it, makes it sound like it's on steroids.  I gotta buy me some more of these. The plane was, of course, very fast on my 15' lines; I reversed the prop and slowed it down a little, didn't change the flight characteristics a whit.  This airplane is so sweet, I might consider a limited kit run of it if anyone's interested, $25 including S/H as usual.  It's 21" span, 100 sq. in. wing area, 3 1/2 oz. RTF.  I plan to take it with me next time I go to the "big" flying field, and try it on 35' lines.  Maybe I'll cut a set of 25' too and try that.  Anyhow, it sure is fun...and I didn't even hit anything (sorry to disappoint, Frank)--well, I did clip a few leaves off the old Elm tree doing an overhead, but if you weren't watching you wouldn't notice, it didn't hinder anything.  Also, I may try scaling it up to, say, LittleAxe size for an .061, say 32" or 34" span,  and see how it does at that level.  Lessee, then a full-body version, and, and....

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: 1/4A FLEET--flight report
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 07:42:42 PM »
Here's another attempt to make a stable coroplast quickie.  It flies much better than the one above, though still inferior to a balsa slab-wing.  Indestructible, though.

Hinges are even narrower--this plastic is tough.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here