News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Snapper (new pics 1-22-07)  (Read 11866 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: 1/2A Snapper (new pics 1-22-07)
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2007, 07:46:59 PM »
Hi Larry,

Glad you're here! 

Frank, I have put off the covering for now................ it is completed, bare wood is doped and ready.  In the last month, I have accomplished very little in the way of building, at least as far as I am concerned........  just got a touch overwhelmed, or something.  I get just small things done when I go into the shop.........

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2007, 08:03:33 PM »
The best thing about model planes Bill is they don't mind being left alone. We got no quotas and no production schedule. You know I have a couple models around here I haven't worked on in years. I'm not getting much done myself in the basement. I feel a little guilty about the 1/2A Fierce Arrow project---I haven't touched that in a week or so.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »
No guilt, we all go in fits and starts.  I haven't done much to my FA since sheeting the LEs, and I may not be done with that step, if I decide to replace some. 

Oops, wrong thread.  Sorry. (Buncha stuff deleted)
--Ray
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 03:12:42 AM by minnesotamodeler »
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2007, 06:47:17 AM »
I took my Snapper out to the circle yesterday but there was a problem with the engine. And I didn't fly it. I'll have another go at it next week.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2007, 08:31:20 AM »
After sitting all winter, I think these little engines probably need to be taken out in the back yard or garage or somewhere and run once or twice to get all the gunk out before hitting the field.  Now we'll see if I take my own advice.

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
I agree Ray---Jan and I are going to be running those engines out back till they're juiced up and ready to go.
Frank Carlisle

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »
Well, OK, I went flying today--took out 3 planes: Snapper, new LilGeo, and LittleAxe.  Flew one: LittleAxe.  Why not the other 2, you ask?  BECAUSE, I couldn't get the engines to run...I sure oughtta listen to myself more.  The Snapper has a production Cox engine; I got it started but it quit before I got to the handle and wouldn't start again.  Acts like something's probably under the reed.  The LilGeo is even more asinine: It has a new VA .049 on it, never been run...my half-baked plan was to run a couple of tanks through it on the ground, then put it up in the air.  'Way stiff, never got it to start.  What was I thinking?

But my trusty Norvel .061 in the LittleAxe didn't let me down...fired right up, ran like a champ, as always; the airplane is great!  I actually believe I could enter a Stunt contest with this plane, note I didn't say win anything, but compete at least.  It turns the prettiest square corners you ever saw, I can square it out at the bottom with nary a bobble, sits on a rail flying level upright or inverted...makes even me look better than I am.  Very nice controlled glide, smooooooth landing. Only little problem is a trim issue: it gets a little light on the lines overhead, enough to make me a little nervous.  I'm gonna add some tip weight and move the leadouts forward about 1/4" and see if that helps any.   Running a 6x2, 48' lines, it's turning a 5+ second lap, may be a little slow.  I'll try a 6x3 next time out.  Also my clunk tank didn't cut off cleanly, it burped around a few laps first...I'm changing the length of the uniflow vent for next time.  All in all, a positive beginning to the 2007 flying season for me.

Next opportunity, I guess I'll take the Queen Bee out and see what it'll do...and the Autogyro.  But I'm gonna run the engines first in the back yard, I promise!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2007, 08:45:20 PM »
I got the .020 running very smooth today. I'll put it on the Queen Bee next. I guess I'll try 20 foot lines first.

Also got a Cox .049 running pretty darn good. That'll be going on the Snapper.

I've never just stuck an engine on a big plane without bench running it first. And now I know to do that with the 1/2As also. #^
Frank Carlisle

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
Try a 6x2 APC prop on 45 foot lines.  I think you will find you have a speed/line pull combination that works.  Theory says that more speed and longer lines gives better control, but that simplified theory does NOT take into account the angular rotation effects of line drag.  Been there, done that!

In my experience, you need a certain amount of weight to pull on a certain amount of line, speed not withstanding.  I haven't got it all straight in my head yet, but this is my best advice.  Lines have to be balanced by weight at speed.  And it is not a simple trade-off.  Sadly, I should be able to write the applicable formulas, but haven't gotten to it.  (I'd rather design new models!!)

Larry
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2007, 02:02:51 AM »
Thanks Larry,  if I can't get the overhead line tension I want with a 6x3, I will shorten the lines to 45'; I just like the extra room for maneuvering that longer lines give.  It just occurred to me also, my fuel cutoff problem could be related to yawing out too much, putting the back of the tank further into the circle than the front.  Moving the LOs forward may help that too.

Today I ran (in my backyard, on a test board) a Cox production engine for the Snapper, my new blue Brodak .049 (seems about equal to the Cox) which will go on the Autogyro; That new VA--it will run on draw, but the needle must be set very open, I have to put a longer tension tubing on it--; one of my PeeWee .020s and the TeeDee .020 both of which surprisingly run about the same, I expected the TeeDee to be stronger, for the Queen Bee.  Sure is easier to do this on a test board in the yard, than on a plane at the circle! I should have a little more success next time out.  The Cox produced quite a lot of vibration.  I'm supposing the prop is off balance and will try it again with another.  My neighbor's Boxer dog took offense at the noise, came over barking at the engines!

--Ray
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »
Except for Dave Shirley Jr.'s Cyclon powered model, which flies fine on 60'lines (340 sq.in. plane) I have yet to see a 1/2A or 1cc model that can handle even 5 second laps.  Mine fly in the low 4's.  Slower than that and I lose line tension.  If the speed problem can be solved, I would LOVE to hear about it!

My best results come from spinning a low pitch prop very fast.  The model tends to stay at a more constant speed, and doesn't slow down in square corners.  This gives better line tension all the way through maneuvers. 
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2007, 10:50:51 AM »
"... .........My best results come from spinning a low pitch prop very fast.  The model tends to stay at a more constant speed, and doesn't slow down in square corners.  This gives better line tension all the way through maneuvers. 
"

What Larry said!
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
I have .008 X 45 foot lines and a Cox .o49 of some sort with a 5X3 prop. That'll be my starting point.
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here