News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a Ringmaster  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
1/2a Ringmaster
« on: September 09, 2008, 07:07:05 PM »
Hi there all.  I am planning to teach my girlfriend to fly on a 1/2a PT Ringmaster re-build from an Estes kit from the late 90's I believe.  It was the all sheet one.  I had taught myself to fly on it and thought that it was the greatest thing.  Now the problem arises.  At the time, I had a choice of the all sheet model, or the model with a built-up wing.  I now regret not getting that built-up model at the time.  Would anyone out there have this plane in their hangar, or even better, the plans still kicking around.  If so I believe that the fuselage would be the same, and I think all I would need is a trace of a wing rib, along with the number required, and span of the ribs and the rest would be a piece of cake.  This would be a great up-and-coming winter project that I would love to tackle.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chancey

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
Re: 1/2a Ringmaster
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »
I learned to fly on a Baby Ringmaster.  Back in the Sterling days the Baby Ringmaster was just what it sounds like, a roughly 50% Ringmaster.  The Beginners Ringmaster was what looked to be the same plane with a sheet wing.  The one I learned to fly on was broken and rebuilt so many times it eventually got to be so heavy it lost a lot of it's performance, but it will still fly most basic maneuvers ok.  I built another one mostly from the kit but I've never flown it...

In the pic you can see 5 ribs per wing, total wingspan is 21" if I remember correctly.  The airfoil is pretty basic, you could probably get close using a piece of 1/2" square rounded off for the leading edge and 1/4x1/2 tapered for the trailing edge with a 3/16" or 1/4" spar.  The plans don't show anything helpful and I didn't save any templates. 

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »
Lee Strickland has a 250sq.in. Ringmaster he scaled down from the .35 kit (actually, the average dimensions from 4 kits and models!).  Weight is about 10 ounces, and it has a Norvel .061 for power.  A real dynamite combo, if I could ever get him to fly it again!  This plane is what Leprechaun Stunt is all about.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Just One-eye

• Another Old Fart
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 01:09:53 PM »
Dee Rice and Pat Johnston are supplying plans and laser cut rib sets through "Brothers of the Ring", for numerous sizes of Ringmasters.  Check them out at

http://www.brothersofthering.com/

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »
thanks for the help so far guys.  I will just end up grabbing a symmetrical airfoil from another 1/2a plane and inserting it.  Should not be that much different.  Thanks.

Offline Jeffrey Olijar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:39 AM »
I found this image over at the rc groups fourm.  I have flown both the sheet and the built up wing.  The built up wing was way more stable.  If I were you I would pick that one.  my $.02 if I were to change one thing it would be to make it a thicker airfoil.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:01:25 PM by Jeffrey Olijar »
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »
Thanks all for the help.  Much appreciated.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here