News:

• May 17, 2024, 07:47:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2a gas to electric  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
1/2a gas to electric
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
Well I have been converting my 1/2a gas fleet of planes to electric. Today in Yelm, WA... was a great day to go fly Swordsmen and a 1/2a Magician.

Well all I can say is this. Tonight we be a better night of repairs and rebuilding all 4 planes.  Good thing I only fly over grass. LOL

Good thing I have a good supply of super glue and wood.

Tally ho
Rosie
Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr, Yelm WA, USA

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
Re: 1/2a gas to electric
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »
Oh yes, they started out like this.
Tally ho
Rosie

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:59:23 PM »
Electrical problems, or piloting?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
The magician went into a flat spin due to wrong prop causing a loss of thrust. The 1st Swordsman was unstable... is dropping 5 feet with no handle movement and the wind was less than 4mph, then it acted like a hung up controller and did several llogos into the ground.. 2nd Swordsman was a mechanical failure when all 4 mini screws releasedfrom the back of tthe motor... First time I even seen a Swordsman do an imitation of a helicopter. 3rd and final Swordsman has a rough landing so I bruahed it off changed the prop and tried again. Did I mention it was missing the outboard wheel..well she nosed over and ripped off the motor mount.
So 100% pilot /pit crew failure. I fly alone so I am both pilot and pit crew. Been flying 1/2a since 1977. Thank for the input. The darn balance issue on the swordsman are great flyers with Novel .061 Big Mig.

Tally ho
Rosie

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »
Most of the 1/2A models designed for glow are hard to balance when converted to electric. I have found that extending the nose helps a lot.

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
I will have to try that.. 1/2 inch or 1 inch would you say? I still balance at the bell crank or the thickest part on my wing. These Swordsman have a jumping bean wing in the swordsmans wing profile.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »
I think the length depends on the design, but that is probably the ballpark. This gives enough room to move the balance to the the point you want by moving the battery. If you are a little rusty on flying CL, balance the model a bit nose heavy, and then slowly move the balance back until it is where you want it.

My 1/2A standard setup is a Turnigy 2730-1700, APC 6x4 EP, 12amp esc, and 500mah battery. Gives about 3-4 minutes depending on throttle setting. I use 2.4Ghz control for all my CL electrics. Right hand to fly, left for throttle. There is lot of info on different techniques, setups etc on the carrier, scale, and amp'd up boards.

Attached is a quicky foam wing Baby Ringmaster that should be similar to the Goldberg models

Offline Duke.Johnson

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:49:46 AM »
Rosie
Where do you fly? I don't live far away, just south of Olympia. I have two boys that fly with me and we have some great places to fly here in the NW.
Duke

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
     Hi there guys and thank you so much. I love the electric Ringmaster. The smaller 500 milliamp battery is perfect to me. I will be ordering many more batteries next month or so. Still need to get the size that will work for all my new unbuilt 1/2a kits.... Baby Pathfinder, the Stork, baby ringmaster with full wing not plank, Baby clown, the stuntman 23, and would like to get a Miss Ashley??? Seems to me it is similar to the Magician but maybe even better. I also have a Chihuahua to rebuild and I have the planes for the Pinto. Still trying to get a professional copy of the 1/2a Magician instead of the very blurry pixelated one I printed years ago. I will try and get the attached magician plans I posted on my previous magician posting.

Since I asked and got answers about flaps and the magician..... can flaps be added with IMPROVED flight characteristics to any and all kits so noted to include the Swordsman 18s? I know we can put flaps on everything. Whether it helps or not is another story????

What are the length of line that you fly with? Currently I have both 25 and 42ft lines. I use the neon green or yellow 100 strand fishing line. Sorry I am color blind so do not see the difference.  But I still have 1000ft or so on the spool. So I have NP at making new lines
lengths.

Again thank you all for any and all comments...

I seem to remember Shug... making an electric baby flight streak??? He mentioned be wanted to add flaps to his. Just wondering if he did and if it helped??

I grew up in Shelton WA but have moved to The Nisqually Pines housing community in Yelm  WA. I currently fly at the entrance grass field at the Nisqually Pines entrance or at the baseball fields located at the Yelm  Middle School kitty corner from the towns McDonalds restaurant.

I can be contacted either here or via email rosierosenau@yahoo.com or text my cell at 3604634566. If posting this contact info is against the forums rules??? Then please accept my apologies for I did it without any ill intent.

I would love to meet up with your flying team and see what Oly, has to offer. Just drop me a line. I have attended a few meetings back in the 2001-2006 timelines when the meeting was held in  club members garage. Great group of flyers. In fact I used to by from the auto body shop near Spanaway. I was saddened to see his shop closed down.

Tally ho

Richard "Rosie" Rosenau Jr.... Rosie is my military nickname from my PJs and CCTs from McChords AFB 22nd Special Tactics Squadron.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »
For the Baby Magician, Eric Rule at rsm distribution.com can fix you up with a short kit (no strip wood) laser cut parts and a set of full size plans. Flying Models was where the model was published, but they are gone with the winds of bankruptcy.

The Baby Magician will fly well with an AP Wasp, Norvel Big Mig .06, Tee Dee .049 or PAW 1cc (.061). I use 40' of .008 wire. No need for flaps with that combo, as it has more than enough room to maneuver. Weight generally comes out between 10 and 11 ounces if you cover it with Coverlite or park flyer type film.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 07:27:44 PM by Larry Renger »
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
Looking at your post in more detail, let me offer my opinions on smaller electric models.

It depends on what your goal is, so here are some of my (limited experience) guidelines:

Sport flying - 150 sq.in. size wing, 850 3s pack, 1750 kv motor, 6 x 4 prop, 38' lines
Competition flying - 200 to 235 sq.in. wing, 1325 3s pack, 1900 kv motor, 7 x 5 prop cut to 6.5" dia. 42' lines.

Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:30:52 PM »
 Bingo Mr. Rented!!! That is one of the key bits I really needed. Thank you so much. Now next month I will place an order of 20 new batteries. Eric Rule gave me a killer deal that I just can not beat anywhere. Thank you Sir Eric.
Tally ho and wow what a way to bring in the new year with priceless info.... Well it was a high cost so far... guess that just means I have a few spares... lol
Rosie

Offline Rosie Rosenau

• Tally ho
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 02:28:29 AM »
My apologize Mr. Renger not Renter. Darn auto correct just ain't too correct sometimes. I am sure you get it a lot. Already I have found more than 6 new spellings for your name

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here