News:

• April 30, 2024, 04:24:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A flying lines  (Read 976 times)

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A flying lines
« on: April 27, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »

Has anyone used the lines used for fishing on a 1/A model to fly with, and if so what size did you use and how well did they work?  Thanks
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A flying lines
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:38:22 AM »
Hi, Gil
I'm asking myself the same question.
Rusty Knowlton uses them with good results.
He's on the site somewhere.

Bob Z.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
I've been using Spectra for the last 7 years.  I use 20# test mostly, as the local Fisherman's Warehouse didn't have 10# in the yellow high-viz spool.  I sometimes use 10# if I don't care that the line is green instead of yellow.  10# is more than enough for the 5-7 ounce 1/2A planes I normally fly.  If going with one of the heavier 1/2A planes, I'd stick with 20# test, although that's overkill.

Mark

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
For 1/2a I’ve used braided fishing line exclusively for several years. Very flexible. No stretch. Way more steady than Dacron. I use braided spider wire. 20# test. It is the same diameter as 6# monofilament. I do not recommend monofilament. Tried it, didn’t like it. There are several good brands to choose from. I think most people look for one that specifically says spectra on the package.

You have to make knots that don’t slip or weaken the line. I use a clinch knot because the main part of the line stays straight and all the twisty stuff happens on the tag side of the line connection. I also leave a short tag so it is easier to check for slippage. Lots of people swear by the palomar knot and it is a good one. Do not use a crimp or tie like you would on steel lines. It’s overkill for 1/2a and there’s to much chance of a crimp damaging the line.

After braided fishing line I would not go back to steel. I’ve never tried it on a larger model. Some people have and love it.

I usually keep 35 and 40 foot lines made up. I switch back and forth depending on the model and the wind.

At the risk of being overly repetitive, look for BRAIDED, not monofilament.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:08 AM »
A suggestion only. There are other good knots and you may find one that works better for your use. I don’t always use the same knot.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 03:06:04 PM »
Braided PowerPro Spectra, 30 lb test. Zero issues. Smaller works, too. Flying on this stuff is much more like using .008 stranded steel cable than the old 1/2A Dacron, but nowhere near the handling care required to avoid damage. Monofilament fishing line is a non-starter for model flying unless you are just G-lining a rock on a string.

The Divot

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:32:18 PM »

Wayne and all the others, THANKS for the help/suggestions this web site is great..   Thanks Sparky..
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline John Given

• 21 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 03:46:12 PM »
This is what I use

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 09:31:29 PM »
This is what I use

I also use 30# Spectra for 1/2A and second all the comments above. Brett submitted a proposal for the next rules change cycle on getting Spectra legalized for competition. Let's hope it finally passes.

Ara

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 01:35:22 AM »
A suggestion only. There are other good knots and you may find one that works better for your use. I don’t always use the same knot.

Thanks for the illustration Wayne!  Serendipity, I hope to tie some lines later today and just came here to see any new construction, the line discussion is a bonus.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here