News:

• May 22, 2024, 10:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2A Baby clown electric questions...  (Read 1212 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2A Baby clown electric questions...
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »
Brodak, has both a kit/package that has everything to build an electric version.
My question is two fold. Is the baby clown the only kit that will work with the motor/battery set-up. And is the electric kit different than the gas kit ?
Trying to find out if there are other choices wwith the power  set-uo.
Maybe baby flite streak or something like that ? Does it need a non-beam mount kit ?

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2A Baby clown electric questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 06:55:13 AM »
     This may be to simple of an answer to your questions, but if you want to get the right answers to your questions you might try calling John Brodak.
Larry

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »
Brodak sells the electric package separately and it can be fitted to most any airplane. I haven't flown electric U-controll but I have flown electric RC.  The big thing is weight.  You must build light to allow for the added weight of the battery pack.  Electric motors do generally mount on a firewall not on profile beam mount.  So on any 1/2A model that is set up for a Black Widow or Baby Bee motor will work well. If not with a little wood and CA you can convert any model to a firewall mount. (this is part of the challenge and fun of modeling)

On the keep it light front - remember you don't need to fuel proof anything.  Even unpainted wood is OK.

Some more food for thought you will also need a battery charger and an extra battrie is nice if you want to put in more than one flight in a row.  Also sooner or later it will be handy if you know how to make a solder joint. Wires do break and connectors will go bad.

As I see it electric is just another way to go.  It has its problems and a learning curve just like nitro burners.  However it is quite (not necessarily realistic) clean and starts every time.  I am told that the top competitors in stunt are going electric.  They find it to be more consistent. Also they use an electronic timer to eliminate overruns. A luxury nitro burners are denied.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:04 AM »
Other than my disability and some level of depression. I hold an A&P certificate.
I can work in metal,composite,weld,solder,use just about every tool. Though not real profecientnt with major machining. Andriviting these days is out of the question.
And spelling is just a memory....
I'm trying to determine if electric on 1/2A is a matter of ugly looking assembly.
Or can look neat and be functional with out big lumps on the wing and looking like bombs ducttapes to the model.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »
In answer to your first question, the power package should work with any model of a similar weight and size.

Or can look neat and be functional with out big lumps on the wing and looking like bombs ducttapes to the model.

I'm not sure what you mean by that -- the full fuselage ones don't show that they're electric without close inspection, and profile models have their power system hanging out in the breeze by design.  So unless your aesthetic sensibility is offended by motor, wires and battery where it isn't by engine, tubes, and tank, then there's no problem.

I've seen some ideas for profiles here that put at least some of the ugly bits (timer, some wiring) into a tunnel, which would improve the looks.  But -- it's a profile, for crying out loud!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 09:38:37 AM »
On the keep it light front - remember you don't need to fuel proof anything.  Even unpainted wood is OK.
Unpainted wood won't get fuel soaked on an electric.  But it'll warp up like crazy if you fly over damp grass a few times.

So slap on a few coats of something for waterproofing, and away you go.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
Yes, it is a profile. But that does not mean it should look like it has jumper cables attached to it and a transistor radio duct taped to the wing as a big ugly lump.
So what I'm looking to see is will the set-up for the baby clown work on a baby magician with a 30 inch wing. Or do i need something smaller like the miss ashley ?

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »
Yes, it is a profile. But that does not mean it should look like it has jumper cables attached to it and a transistor radio duct taped to the wing as a big ugly lump.
Well, you could take this project as a challenge to figure out how to make it all look good!  Just off the top of my head, making a cowling to go over the right front quarter of the fuselage to hide all that stuff would be nifty, if you didn't mind the time & weight.
So what I'm looking to see is will the set-up for the baby clown work on a baby magician with a 30 inch wing. Or do i need something smaller like the miss ashley ?
In the "List your setup" thread (http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12044.50) there's a bunch of examples and some pictures.  I did a summary of this (toward the bottom), and it seems that the 1/2A plane's estimated consumption is around 8 - 10 watts/oz.  You probably want to size the motor at 25% to 50% bigger.  To calculate the battery capacity used go with
capacity in mAh = (1000 / 60) * (flight time in minutes) * (power in watts) / (nominal voltage)
note that nominal voltage = 3.7 times the number of cells, i.e. 11.1 for a three-cell pack, or 7.4 for a two-cell.  Note also that you'll want a pack that's substantially bigger than the capacity you think you'll use -- you want to end up using about 75 - 80% of the pack capacity, so take the above number and multiply it by 1.3 or so.

I.e:

For a 10 oz plane, expect to use 80 to 100W.  For six minutes you'll use 480 to 600 watt-minutes (funny units, yea yea yea).  With a three-cell pack that works out to a capacity of 720 to 900mAh used.  You don't want to drain the pack dry, so figure on a capacity of 950 to 1200 mAh.  You also don't want to work the motor on the edge of it's capacity (and you want some power to spare in case your plane is a bit porky), so figure on a 120-150W motor.

Forgive me if the math isn't clear -- I'm rolling this off the top of my head.  I trust my numbers, but I'm sure it could be expressed in a way that's easier to understand.
AMA 64232

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
I have listed a Baby Clown Electric in  the "Amped Up" board in the "List your setup" section. It weighs 10.5 oz and flies very well on 42' lines. Here is the link:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=12044.0

The original power system used a 3S 850mah battery but I now use a 3S 1000mah battery for longer flight times. To get tight overheads I run about 140 watts (13 amps at about 11.0 volts under load). My prop is an APC 8x8 run at 7500 rpm. The prop is big for a 1/2A but I get very efficient use of the power system with it.

As for looks my plane follows "pretty is as pretty does" - it flies real pretty!

Most of the electronics could be built into the wing but I prefer flying to building.

Offline bfrog

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures of my electric. Yes the battery is out in the breeze but it's below the wing so it doesn't stand out too much. You could actually get the battery to fit deeper into the wing or mount in 90 degrees to what it is and really hide it more. I don't think it looks to messy and it flies really well.

The motor mount is a plywood disc that I very lightly fiberglassed on the nose of the plane. You need the extra stiffness thus the glass. It has been pretty sturdy.
Bob Frogner

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:40 PM »
I spec'd the Brodak 1/2A system and have been doing a lot of installations, 3 Baby Clowns, one Twin Mustang, a (all sheet) Stuntman 23 and recently the .020 system on the Swordsman 18.

Total weight is not too bad, but there is a small problem of WHERE the weight ends up.
* The 2205 motor used in the 1/2A system weighs 34 g, about half what a Golden Bee or Black Widow does.  THe motors are also very short - they do not hang out very far.  So the problem is any airplane designed for a Cox engine with a stunt tank will end up tail heavy - you have to either have the nose stretched out (like an OK Cub mount) or slip the battery as far forward as possible.

* The 1806 motor used for the EPS-02 system is only 18 g - re-read the note on balance above!

*The "stock" EPS-05 turns  6x5.5 prop and runs like a strong reedie or Medallion.  If you want, substitute a 3 cell pack and the power jumps to a good 09.

* Installing the pieces is different - nothing quite as clean as a reedie with integral tank!  However with some planning its not too bad.  I have a couple pix attached to show a a couple of the Baby Clowns and the Stuntman...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here