News:

• May 17, 2024, 12:57:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A questions...  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2 A questions...
« on: July 20, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
Ok, just starting to fool around with some of this 1/2 A stuff! (Lots of questions). I'm using 8 lb Spider-wire for lines on a TeeDee powered stunter. This OK? Yes I'm CA'ing the knots! But what is appropriate length? Flew this AM with about 37+ feet and that seemed a little long...Using Cox grey 6 X 3 prop. OK? D--n broke one! Not too many left...Anything better out there? Would switch to a Bolly F/G if need be. My 15-20 year old Cox Competition fuel still seems to work. (Have about 3 pints left). What formulas are you guys using?

BTW, Had a ball!   HH%%

Ward
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Re: 1/2 A questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:09:54 PM »
I usually fly .049-powered planes on 35' lines, up to 42' if I want slower lap times.  8-lb Spiderwire is sufficient; I have used 12#, depending on what is available when I go to buy a reel. Can't tell much (if any) difference in performance. My .061-powered models use 42' minimum line length, up to 52', again depending on the lap time I want.  You have to be kinda masochistic to put an .061 on 35' lines, although I do it occasionally (too lazy to roll out another set of lines for maybe one flight).

You don't need to CA the knots if you use a Palomar knot, or two or three other kinds that are non-slip types. A standard double hard knot (square knot) will not hold in Spiderwire; it will slip out. (Unless CA'd I suppose!)

I don't have a TeeDee .049 so can't speak to the appropriate prop, but a 6x3 seems a little much, I would run that on an .061.  My .049s (Norvel, VA, Black Widow, Brodak) mostly use 5" or smaller props, down to 4 1/4", x3" pitch. Whatever it takes to get the rpms up, the little engines don't lug well. The Cox black plastic 5x3 broad-blade prop is sort of my base, then I whittle down the diameter from there as needed.   APC props perform better but will break, and will do more damage if you get a finger in one! I've found the APC 6x2 to be just about the ideal prop for an .061-powered stunter. APC makes a 5.5x2 that might work well on a good .049 for stunt.

Fuel, I've used everything from 10% to 35% nitro, castor oil and synthetic, it all seems to work pretty well--the higher nitro does I think result in easier starts. I don't habitually tach my engine runs, but I don't notice any real difference "by ear" in the various nitro levels.

You got pics of what you're flying?

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 11:28:12 PM »
Ray,

I have a roll of 8# size (12# strength) Spiderwire as well, but haven't figured out how to hang a line clip on a Palomar knot?  HB~>

The illustration shows the drop loop of a Palomar knot going through a fish hook eyelet, and then around the shank of the hook, before being pulled tight.

I've read here that using a too tight radius in the Spectra line termination can reduce the pull test to half the lines rated strength, and that seems a bit risky.

How do you connect your lines to a half A line clip?

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »
OK, here's what I'm flying! Not real hi-tek. Actually a Red Reinhardt design from the 50's. He called it the Snapper, a design in "Variable Dihedral"! Yup, the 1/8th sheet wing flexes considerably in manuvers. I re-published this in FM 12/89 as a take apart. Plans may still be available.

As to what kind of knot am I using...Yes, I am a fisherman but that spider web stuff is so fine I do it the simple way. An overhand loop. Now you know why I use the CA!

W.   :P

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »
I have had good success with MAS 6 x 3 cut down to 5 1/2 on TD's. The APC 5.75 x 3 also works well.  Usually used 42 ft 008 cables. 

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:05 PM »
I was not ready to post my latest information on 1/4A flying lines but!!!

I have not finished a series of tests on different weight lines but at present I can state that if you use any knot directly on the line clip it will fail at about 50% of the rated line test.  I.E. 20 lb test line will break at about 10 lbs load.

BUT!!!  If you tie the line around a ferrule, like you use on bigger steel lines, with a palomar knot it will hold to almost the rated breaking strength of the line.

I will add a sketch soon. 

Also do not use monofilament line!!!  Use only woven, non-stretch, line.  Ask me how I know!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
How about a source on those ferrules!

I used to do it the cheap way once upon a time. You know the little brass eyelet that was on the hanging items like Perfect and others? I would save these for my larger planes just for this purpose. Never had to buy any!

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »
Ward,

Thanks for the info. I have lots of CA!  ;D

Clancy,

Looking forward to your article.  H^^

Your earlier postings were the source of the line failures I cited.

Bill

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »
How about a source on those ferrules!

The best, IMO, is P/N 3436T12 on page 1390 of the McMaster-Carr online catalog. Not cheap (≈ 25¢ ea. if you order 50) but almost infinitely reusable, and good for any size controllines or leadouts.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 12:21:16 PM »
Ralph,

Those look good, and the price is reasonable enough, but have you tried them?

If so, how sharp are the small open end edges, where the line would rub?

Bill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here