News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:54:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A Questions  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Andre Ming

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
1/2 A Questions
« on: September 25, 2023, 05:25:46 PM »
Hi All:

Kicking around the possibility of piddling with some 1/2A mini-combat airplanes with a nostalgic slant. I've done this in the past, but sort of drifted away from it. I do not want to mess with modern .049 engines such as Norvel, etc. Instead I just want to have some fun and reuse the same system I've used in the past: TD's on pressure on 35' stranded wire lines (can't remember the dia), lightweight, high performance mini-me's of famous AMA Fast oldies. Attached is an example pic of one of my little 1/2A's that's left over from my halcyon days of yore. Old combat heads ought to recognize it immediately.

What I need to learn in order to decide whether to take this to the next step:

* Parts available for Cox TD .049's? (I have three that will need to be totally refurbished.)

* Bladder tubing small enough for such use available?

* Small paper rocket tubes still available?

* Small dimension maple wood for motor mounts available?

* Sig is belly up, right? SO, a totally new source for wood/etc will need to be found?

* Is translucent Monocote still available?

* A good 1/2A starter available? (Mine may be worn out.)

* Small diameter silicone rubber tubing still available?

Well, the above will help me to see what I would be up against should I desire to revive my 1/2A interest.

Thanks for any input.

Andre Ming
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: 1/2 A Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 08:16:09 PM »
Hi Andre,

I hate to poach a fellow member, but you may want to go visit CoxEngineForum.com. Also Google Cox International, EX Model Engines, MECOA, RCGroups (they have a CL.forum and a 1/2A forum) and watch eBay.

You'll find several users live on all of the listed places above...a few actually use the same username.

Lines have changed since the days of Dacron. See here: https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/adventures-in-spectra/

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 07:52:31 AM »
Thanks for your response, Jim.

I've been out of town along with other tasks so I haven't spent a lot of time looking over your resources you mention.

I will say that my idea hasn't seemed to gain any traction since my original post. Also, a quick browse at Cox International and seeing today's prices for Cox stuff is a bit on the "interesting" side, too!

I still have more road time ahead, but once finished, I will look things over more closely sometime in the coming week.

For a number of years, I had pretty much resigned myself to the feeling that C/L was no longer in my future. SO, the fact that I'm even having these thoughts is a surprise to me.

All fer now!

Andre

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 10:50:47 AM »
Thanks for your response, Jim.

I've been out of town along with other tasks so I haven't spent a lot of time looking over your resources you mention.

I will say that my idea hasn't seemed to gain any traction since my original post. Also, a quick browse at Cox International and seeing today's prices for Cox stuff is a bit on the "interesting" side, too!

I still have more road time ahead, but once finished, I will look things over more closely sometime in the coming week.

For a number of years, I had pretty much resigned myself to the feeling that C/L was no longer in my future. SO, the fact that I'm even having these thoughts is a surprise to me.

All fer now!

Andre

Hello Mingster!!
   If you still have all my contact info from VINDURO, drop me a line with any questions that I may be able to help you with. I'm retired now for a couple of years thanks to the pandemic and rehabbing still from a rebuilt knee that was done in May and is coming along nicely. I have been digging more into my stash of stuff. The biggest issue you will have is glow plugs if you need them, fuel and bladder material, but are all obstacles that can be over come. There is a guy on eBay that makes really nice adaptor heads that take Neslon glow plugs, which you may have from your larger models. Fuel can be obtained in small quantities by mail order, and the silicone surgical tubing for bladders can be also. . get them running, make up some new lines using the newer fishing line that is legal for use, and make the lines a bit longer to slow the lap times down a bit and then have a ball!! There is a group that has a couple of contests in western Arkansas each year. Look in the Events section. El Dorado is the name of the town and should not be far from you. They have a contest in November. It's an 8 hour drive for me but we are considering it again this year now that I can move around a bit. Have fun on the trails around your house and then you can plan out the resurrection of your older 1/2A stuff and be prepared for spring.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi Dan!

Well, this is all in the "mulling it over" stage.

In so doing, as I did some more "sifting through my stuff" and cogitatin', some realizations came to me...

First realization:

IF I was to dabble with C/L again, I don't think 1/2A is the most practical avenue. I only have three Tee Dee 1/2A's... and they all need $$ spent on them. Further, seeing $200 price tags on 1/2A Tee Dee's is a real turnoff. IF I re-entered the hobby, I would not want to swap my Tee Dee's from plane to plane in order to fly, and at $200 a pop for an engine, plus the cost of building an airplane in today's wood/hardware situation... well... the $$ add up to the point of reaching the silly realm.

Next realization:

It dawned on me that IF I wanted to dabble again in C/L (with an emphasis on sport flying vintage combat designs)... my best bet would be to go with full sized C/L combat planes. Reasons?

* I have boxes (a dozen or so?) of good 36X (and some 35X) engines, three Johnson 35 Combats, a Veco 35, and a freshly rebuilt, never started, Supertigre C35. In addition, I have several vintage Fox 35 Stunts and even a Fox 36 CL that could be used in a sport plane if desired.

* I have a one or two vintage 35/36 size combat airplane kits on hand.

* I have a fully cut set of ribs/etc for a "Zipper" that would make a perfect match for my C35 Tigre.

* Also have a Combat Cat that's more than a couple decades old that wouldn't be as painful losing if the glue is too brittle/etc. (No way I want to risk flying my Riley Wooten autographed Demon or my Larry Scarinzi autographed Super Satan.)

SO... IF I go over the edge and try again... it makes the best dollars sense as well as "reasons for doing it" sense to stay where the bulk of my memories and experiences are, as well as items needed already on hand: 35 sized vintage combat planes. (With maybe a sport plane or two thrown in?)

Of course, all the above is merely day dreaming at this point.

All fer now.

Andre

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 07:45:39 AM »
Your observation that 1/2A's are overpriced vs 35's (or 15's & 25's) is quite correctomundo.
Back in the day, getting a Babe Bee for $3.95 or salvaging one from broken PT-19 was a good business decision.

Today the only reasons for dabbling in 1/2A are to enter a certain contest or to utilize what you have.  The premium prices for glow heads and high nitro fuels are two more strikes against the little engines.
Paul Smith

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 10:26:12 AM »
Yes, Paul.

At this point I've pretty much resigned myself to refurbishing what Cox 049s I have and being satisfied with that.

The only engine I would be interested in having "one more" of would a TD 049... maybe.

However, me resurrecting 1/2A is AFTER I'm back in the air and comfortable with my bigger stuff, including my 35/36 powered vintage combat wings. That may be a while!

Andre

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »
Paul:

Forgot to add that IMHO, the way the Cox 049s sip fuel... it would be a plus in their favor. A quart of higher nitro fuel will last a lot longer and give more flights per buck with TDs and Black Widows as opposed to 3-4 oz per flight 35/36 engines!

Andre

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 11:36:28 AM »
Andre, I need your address as I may have a TeeDee not being used.  As far as glow heads I have been playing with the head adapters from MECOA.  I don't worry about all out performance any more as I hope to get grand kids flying just for fun or to entertain the old DOC.

The big problem I see is that someone said there was going to be a shortage of the eliments to make glo plugss.  So every body panics, which is human nature and start buying and hoarding stuff.  I think 99% of our problems are the college educated idiots who can't see the future any further tha tip their nose.  I have almost got to wwhere I ignore the stuff being put up on the computor because perso will say something is wrong for you and another will say it is good for you.   But of course before O had my mini stroke a couple of decades ago I used to eat any thing that didn't eat me.  Would you believe at One time I was just shy of 300 pounds.  Have manged to lose about 50 pounds and the doc says I need to lose more.  I feel good except for the knees that hurt every time I get up and start moveing.  Need to quit being lazy and get moving more. S?P H^^ D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 03:34:24 PM »
Hi Doc!

Well you've already done a bunch for me. At some point my freeloading will need to stop!  LL~

As for glow heads: I have several on hand. I would prefer to stay with the Cox glow heads if I can.

Hoarding: Yup, that's quite common in hobbies, especially panic-driven hoarding. It's simply another case of the haves and the have nots. Those with ample discretionary income so they can afford overpriced goodies can still by them in quantity while the have nots have to stand by the wayside.

I'll PM 'ya my address. Seems feeble to say "thank you"... but THANK YOU. I hope to eventually get the 1/2A's resurrected, but right now my emphasis is on the 35 sized planes.

Andre

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here