News:

• May 10, 2024, 05:47:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A Covering  (Read 1695 times)

Offline John Tomlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
1/2 A Covering
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »
Was wondering if anyone uses polyspan for covering 1/2 A or is it too heavy.  Pretty sure silk would be and silk span is just too easily damaged.  Last 1/2 A I used Dave Brown's Sky Loft.  First and last for that.  Took about 8 coats to seal and then it wasn't the best, I just stopped.  Holes / fibers are huge.  Really didn't affect the weight per say, just too much work.  1/2 A's are suppose to be built quick.  (Profiles anyway)  Plastic coverings are a pain with all the little nooks and crannies and if you paint the fuse, you have some match line that usually looks just like that.  Would prefer to paint the whole thing.  BTW, have never used polyspan but from what I have read, seems pretty straight foward and strong.

Thanks,

John

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2 A Covering
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »
Polyspan  works just fine.  Do a search on how to apply it, as there are some cautions to be observed.  Look in the building and finishing forums above. Also, search for the thread on my Baby Nobler; it is polyspan covered.

For the lightest covering, I like Coverlite, a fuelproof covering you get from Hobby People.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »
Silk is not too heavy! Cover first with the free flight guys very thin mylar. I use thinned down impact adhesive on the balsa, then cover and iron on. Place silk on top and a light coat of dope (thinned at least 50-50%). Then fuelproof to taste. This mylar/ silk/ dope finish is lighter than doped silk (you don't need lots of coats of dope to make the silk airtight, the mylar does that for you!).

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 06:06:31 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have a friend that flies free flight and has some polyspan.  Going to get some from him and give it a try.

John

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »
I still use silkspan.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »
Econocote has worked for me. Polyspan/silk even monocote. Tissue and silkspan will work and expect to fix the holes and tears. SLC thats for me !! Great stuff to work with. Just used some and like it fine. Lite/ fuel proof/ paintable whats not to like??   #^ f~ x: f~ j1
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:28:03 AM by dankar »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
I have heard that tissue over mylar works, also, but I haven't tried it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
I am currently covering a Baby Clow wing with Polyspan.  I am going to photo the process for a Half-A-Flyer article.   y1

DesignMan

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »
I used Ultracote Lite Transparent (Hanger 9) on this Baby Ringmaster and it came out fine. Easy to control the shrink and tough stuff.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »
           John, surely a two thumbs up model you got there. Ken

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 05:01:20 PM »
Thanks Kenneth,

The Baby Ringmaster was built from a Pat King kit (patdk@aol.com) and can be built either as an electric or as a glow powered model. I thought that the transparent film would make a nice looking plane.
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
That little Ringmaster does look great.   Have been considering getting one with the hope the grand kids might start flying again.   I can pit the planes with little problems, it the flying that get me anymore. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 05:33:49 PM »
I have no idea about the availability of "Solarfilm" products over your side of the pond http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/ but one of the products they do is called "Litespan", It's a lightweight synthetic fibre tissue , fully fuel proof and only around 30gsm, I've used it on models up to Ringmaster size, It's certainly very lightweight and extremely puncture proof. They also do another product called "Airspan" which is a few gsm lighter but is not fuel proof so needs a light coat of fuel proofer to seal it. I'm sure there are comparable products from other manufacturers but having some experiences with "Litespan" I can recommend it. It has no adhesive so use Balasloc or similar to apply.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
Over here in the "colonies"  Lightspan is sold as Coverlite by Hobby People.  And it is wonderful stuff!  Tough, lightweight, fuelproof, and seems not to degrade with age!  ;D

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here