News:

• June 05, 2024, 08:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A Combat  (Read 1280 times)

Offline John Tomlin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
1/2 A Combat
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
I have a dilemma with a combat ship.  It won't do outside manuvers.  Inside are fine.  2 figure 8's last night almost resulted in ground strikes (I'm talking hand over my head, standing on tip toes and full down) and then I went high and tried an outside loop and it practically dove straight in.  It never tucked from vertical.  Balance is on the leading edge and slightly nose heavy (no fuel).  25 or so degrees elevator up and down.  Black widow on 36 foot .008 lines.  Only damage to the plane was a cracked elevator.  Had the same problem with a Little Satan but it didn't fair as well.

Thanks,

John   

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: 1/2 A Combat
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
Right off the balance needs to be further back on the wing.  Measure the with (chord) of the wing and divide by three - that is the furthest back the balance can go, stay slightly ahead of that point. 
Without seeing the model in action it is hard to tell what else may be wrong. You may want to brace the push rod a lessen the up travel ... but again you may not and I would need to be there ... airlane tickets?

Larry

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:20:50 PM »
Things that can cause your problem, in addition to Mr. Rice's pushrod suggestion, are thrustline misadjustments and bellcrank not being straight fore and aft when the elevator is in neutral.  Handle adjustment should be dead vertical when the elevator is in neutral, too.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:45:16 PM »
Good suggestions all.  The plane is noseheavy if it balances on or close to the LE.

Concerning the possible flexing pushrod:  hold the plane by the "down" leadout, and try to push the tail back to neutral with the other hand.  A flexing pushrod will be obvious.   Simple fix; install a guide about halfway back, the bottom half of a large safety pin works fine for this. 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:55:36 PM »
Thanks Guys.  Now keep in mind I don't know squat, but if I reduce the up travel, my inside loops would be larger.  They currently are not too tight nor does it stall.  If the pushrod were flexing, it could only do it on inside manuvers since down control is pulling the rod.  Up control would be pushing so if it were flexing, my inside manuvers would suffer.  And as for the bellcrank, does it matter (read first sentence again) if it isn't exactly parallel @ neutral if I get 25 or so degrees at full deflection both ways?  I too was thinking along the CG figuring if it was in a dive and I was trying to pull out it may not tuck in either direction (inside or outside).  All of the dive recoveries were outside so if I had've done an inside pull up from a dive it may have done the same thing.  I will try the balance thing first and report back.  Everyone please understand I'm not trying to be confrontational, just typing out my thoughts (which could be wrong refer to first sentence again).  Thanks again,

John

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »
DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE AIRLINE TICKETS ARE NOT ON THEIR WAY? :(
    By the way 25 degrees is to much when the balance is right should be 20 degrees and often it is 20 degrees for outside and 15 degrees for inside maneuvers - Depends on the model.

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
Ooooo, I thought you were going to send me plane tickets so I could bring it to you.   ;D  Guess that was a missunderstanding.  Only has about 3 bucks worth of wood, would be cheaper to just ship it to you and let you fly it and tell me what is wrong, but that wouldn't be nearly as fun.  Let's see how the cg thing works.

John

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »
If both wing panels are warped the same direction, it will usually turn one direction tighter than the other.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:07:56 AM »
...And as for the bellcrank, does it matter (read first sentence again) if it isn't exactly parallel @ neutral if I get 25 or so degrees at full deflection both ways?  

John,
If you observe the bellcrank you will find that it provides more linear movement near center than on the extremes, so yes, it does matter that the elevator is centered with bellcrank movement.

Since you are getting enough elevator movement, chances are that the thrust line is a little out of adjustment. You might try adding some washers under the upper mounting lugs, or better yet, a tapered wooden shim. Checking the thrust line should be easy with just a visual check.

Sooo, you have a few things to check. Good luck.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »
O.K., I flew it again tonight with the weight added to the tail.  It flew much better with inside loops really tightening up, but outside still leaves a lot to be desired.  I have good tension on the lines.  Now if I go up high and give full down, it will loop, but it comes awful close to the ground.  Figure 8's use most of the overhead sky to straighten up from the outside portion, but it is better than hitting the ground.  Next test will be engine thrust.  I will put a little down as suggested and see how that works.  Thanks guys and will keep you posted.

John

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
Combat and other flying wings are really sensitive to adjustments.  I am still tweaking my Sky Streak, usually 1/2 turn on the elevator clevis and matching handle adjustment at a time.  It ALMOST turns insides and outsides equally, but not quite.  I'll get there!  (it will do a competitive pattern, as noted on another thread, but perfection is the goal)
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Tomlin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 06:12:09 PM »
Alright, after tonight, I give up on this combat ship.  I put the down thrust in it and it still won't do outside maneuvers.  I stuffed it pretty hard tonight breaking the elevator again.  had the same problems with the Little Satan.  Insides were always fine, just outsides.  Anyway, I have a Baby Flite Streak almost ready for paint.  That is what is so great about 1/2 A.  Quick to build and cheap.  Thanks for everybody's help.

John

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here