News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:09:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .0.61 Wasp engine  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
.0.61 Wasp engine
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
Hello again everyone,
I am making up some c/l carbs for half a dozen AP Wasps. I am using a TD 0.49 venturi and the Texas Timers 128 tpi TD needle valve assemblies. The TD venturi will be mated up to a turned Delrin plug that is then reduced in diameter to fit the aperture in the crank case where the r/c carb sat. Hence my need for the 1/4 x 32 UNEF tap!
  The only problem I have is that the two carb retaining screws are the usual Chinese rubbish! I want to replace the screws with maybe a couple of grub screws of decent quality. The only snag is that with aging eyesight I cannot determine what screws they are! I know that other people have had the same problem, so perhaps they could tell me the size!

Thanks again,

Andrew
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: .0.61 Wasp engine
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 11:50:56 AM »
If I recall properly, they are 2mm
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
Thanks Larry,
I guessed they were probably 2mm, but it was only a guess! Somewhere I have a shadowgraph, which would come in quite useful for this sort of thing!

Thanks ,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »
Hi Andrew,

I replaced both grub screws with a single 2X56 machine screw that I ran all the way through the venture and case, and noted no difference on the tachometer readings after the mod! Only required chasing the threads first, with a 2X56 tap.

Is Jan Holuszko out of the Wasp C/L venturi business? He made an excellent venturi, and used the original AP needles, and spring to keep cost down.

Hope your workload lightens up soon my friend.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »
Hi Bill,
Things are still hectic and I need a spare hour to write to you, very embarrassed! Jan seems to have stopped doing the venturis for the Wasp, which is a great shame, because they were a work of art! I have 3 of them, but I have some more Wasps and a friend has another 3 all needing venturis. So I am making up a good few Delrin bushes to take the TD 0.049 venturi. I have the Delrin and the 1/4 x 32 taps, TD venturis and Texas Timer NVAs and also some 2mm grubscrews. The grubscrews arrived this morning and I have yet to check they fit, but I am sure Larry is correct. So no excuse for not getting going! I will try writing tomorrow!

Best Wishes,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:21:49 AM »
       I'm patiently waiting for test results. Mine didn't fair so well. I still have one NIB however. Ken

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Hi Ken,
Are you talking about the venturi mod or the Wasp in general? My take on them is that the piston / liner are much better quality than the rest of the engine. I sent some back that had over loose shafts. Some of the other fits were iffy, looks like typical Chinese quality to me, or at least poor compared to the larger displacement ASP engines. The ones I have had running have been fine for sport flying. I wouldn't think they would take much abuse before quitting.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
OK guys,
I have done the mods, turned up some delrin bushes and tapped them for the Cox 0.049 Tee Dee venturis. Using the Texas timers replacement for the TD NVAs, produces an excellent control line venturi assembly for the Wasps. The bushes turn out to be mighty thin. However the bush and Tee Dee venturi is held by two small grub screw which I have loctited in.
  The finished job looks quite neat, but not in the league of Jan's late lamented conversion. It works exceedingly well and I now have 5 Wasps converted in this way. They make great sports engines and behave just as the Norvel Big Mig 0.061. I don't suppose they would work too well with the way Ken thrashes his Wasps, but otherwise they do the job. With the modification costs and original purchase price, I would probably been better off buying the Norvel, but I had stupidly stocked up with Wasps, before I realised they had some shortcomings. They will do fine for grandsons to play with. if they break a Wasp, it is no big deal! I will try and photograph the set up if anyone else wishes to try it.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:51:18 PM »
             Andrew, as you know I did have some issues using this engine. I sold all of them with the exception of one. I will be using the engine for stunt. Larry and a few others on here had some great success using this engine. That being said I want to explore this engine once again. I hope this works out well for you and I hope some of my input has been helpful. While I have had good success using Norvel's, they don't come without their problems as well. Lately, I've had two of them have the wrist pin come out of it's staked area and get jammed into the cylinder porting and ruin the fitment. That being said, the AP has wrist pin clips. I thought of cross breeding the two of them. Regardless, I want to try the engine once again. Let us know how your flying goes. Enjoy, Ken

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Hello Ken,
I have managed a couple of flights on an old Mirablis and I must admit it went very well, without any problems. Obviously I have not used it flat out, but it is a much better proposition than a TD 0.049. Very easy adjustment (Texas Timer plug there!). Swinging a bigger prop than I should be using, (7x4 Graupner, really too big!). All in all a very worthwhile mod. Well better than leaving them on the shelf. So there is a line of engines that my grandsons can lawn dart without me worrying.
Seriously, I think the idea of a P/L swop for your damaged Norvel is not bad (assuming it is an 0.061). I am very impressed with the quality of the P/Ls. It is almost as if they were subcontracted to a really good company, the rest isn't too good, the shaft bearings were all over the place. Much worse than even my amateur bodging on a lathe! I sent at least 2 Wasps back as the main bearing fits were "worn out" before the engine had even been started.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here