News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:04:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: !/2 A Skyray  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Joe Rice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
!/2 A Skyray
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:03:53 AM »
Just finished a Lil' Skyray intended for the recently completed Aurora Illinois 1/2  contest....javascript:void(0);  The finish is Brodak butyrate clear tinted with lime green using an HVLP detail gun.  Tail trim is Brodak dope brushed.  It weighs 5.135 ounces as shown, sans tip weight.  It should fly next week weather permitting.
Better late than never!javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);

Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: !/2 A Skyray
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
           Joe, that looks great. I loved my Skyray's as I always felt they flew good. I found them to fly even better after the nose broke off of them. Initially when I didn't know any better, I didn't realize that they are a bit tail heavy and are twitchy. After a few repairs on the nose, the weight of the added adhesives would balance the plane . I started to place 1/32 ply under the nose blocks run back into the wing about an 1 1/2". This stopped the nose from breaking. I wore out a Black Widow on one of these. I never knew a flat wing plane could be so fun. They get around the circle pretty quickly as well. Ken

Offline Joe Rice

• Lieutenant
Re: !/2 A Skyray
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
          .... I started to place 1/32 ply under the nose blocks run back into the wing about an 1 1/2". This stopped the nose from breaking. I wore out a Black Widow on one of these. I never knew a flat wing plane could be so fun. They get around the circle pretty quickly as well. Ken

Thanks for the reinforcement tip, Ken.  H^^; I did extend the motor mount blocks about 1/2 inch past the wing LE and added a 1/4 inch triangle stock fillets on the bottom of the wing.  If I build another I will try your modification. y1 y1

Joe
Joe Rice
AMA 740106

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here