News:

• May 27, 2024, 05:11:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Stooge setup  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
My Stooge setup
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
Most everyone here knows about flying off a stooge, but just in case there are a few newbies like me...... it might be useful to some.
Flying off a stooge it not the best way to fly our planes, but sometimes you just have to fly.
Here are a few pics of my setup.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: My Stooge setup
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »
I can renenber flying off the grass and using a screwdriver stuck in the grass as the stoog. It worked but now seems scary. This should never be done but that was the only way I could fly in those days. We have ciome a long way Baby. H^^ HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
Yea, my stooge weighs about 20 pounds. 1/2 in steel plate. If you were to drop it on a toe it would for sure break it. LL~

I use a screw driver as a safe guard on my thong. If the plane leaves before I get to the handle, it should pull down on the handle dumping the nose of the plane in the ground.

I would much rather fly with my buddy's.

Paul H^^
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
Paul - good stuff. I hope people look and learn.

Here's something to add. I used to fly from a stooge quite often. After starting, I would run the lines out while pinching the down line to create some drag. This would keep the elevator down and if it did break loose, it would nose over and stop immediately.

Bob Z.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:19:23 AM »
Hey Bob,
Enjoyed your safty article on stooges. I even took your advice. I try and have a routine.
I always walk behind my lines, and away from the stooge line. I figure if the I am in front of the lines and the plane launches then the lines could wrap around my feet. If I walk between the control lines and the stooge line, I could snag the stooge line and then launch the plane.
I go behind all the lines leaving a good deal of room from the stooge line. I am depending on the screw drive, and the stooge to do its job. It is a long screw driver and it put in deep.
I know things can always go wrong, but I do not want to be caught up in the problem if it happens. When I get the handle in my hand and the thong attached, I raise my lines over my head as far as I can to make sure it is not snagged on the grass. Pull the stooge line and toss it away from me. As the plane rolls out I move back slow, and I am ready to move back quick if needed. Once the plane is off the ground, I walk back 6-8 feet to make sure that when I land I will not hit the stooge, or get tangled in the stooge line. The stooge line is chalk line that can be rolled up quick and stores easy in the field box. Brodak stooge bolted to a 20 lbs steel plate.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »
I use a screw driver as a safe guard on my thong.
Paul H^^

Nope, when I do that the screwdriver leaves a rash ;D

Seriously,  My stooge plate isn't that heavy, and I need to use 2 stakes, one on the outside edge of the plate, otherwise the line pull from the release can twist the plate and point the airplane inward.  The other stake is in the rear of the plate as shown
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »
I use a floresant pink straight line in my chalk line reel so I can see it in the grass. I lay it near my flying lines so I don't step on them. I don' need a steak with mine as it is a weight for elevators and is to heavy for a plane to move. A bonus is I get some wieght lifting in when I fly. LL~ LL~ LL~
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »
Be real careful tossing that stooge line.  I once gave it a little too much altitude and it got wrapped over my lines.  Things got real interesting as the reel slid down the lines and the airplane accelerated.  About a quarter way round the circle the stooge reel popped over the lines and the plane had enough up angle to climb and get some line tension.  Now, I try to pull it and just drop it.  Live and learn. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here