Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VSC27  (Read 22095 times)

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: VSC27
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
Could someone post all the participants for this years VSC?

Hi Dave,
Hey we all miss you here in Tucson.  Next year you'll have to come and see the list first hand... y1 y1 <= #^

Ted Kraver took some pictures of the score sheet at my request and has promised to post them here.  However the Banquet is taking place as we speak so I would guess that the pictures will be posted tomorrow.

C'mon over and fly with us sometime!!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures.  They are really beautiful airplanes!

Who is that with the Formula S?  He did a terrific job!  What engine?

Scott

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 06:47:46 AM »
Thanks for posting the pictures.  They are really beautiful airplanes!

Who is that with the Formula S?  He did a terrific job!  What engine?

Scott

That's Chris McMillin
AMA 12366

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
Chris was flying the Formula S, but it's Bob Whitely's plane and has a Double Star 54 in it.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: VSC27 - Pictures
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 11:32:46 AM »
Photos on my FB page. Won't post them here since Sparky has the file size set too low for decent picture quality.

?  Yes, you can't post 50 meg TIFFs or 28 meg RAW directly from the camera, but the size limits are plenty good enough for posting on-line, and I am a real stickler. Bob is paying for the bandwidth and storage.

If you are having an issue with quality, I would suggest that the issue is with your resizing technique or sequence, not the size limit itself. My sequence of operations is:

reduce resolultion to 72 dpi (from 300)
size picture to ~14" in the longest dimension (retain aspect ratio) It's now 1008x(something less) pixels and about 2.9 meg uncompressed.
save as JPG with target size set to 100K and "reduce quality to achieve target file size" with "file size" set to 100K. With "100%" jpg quality the file size will *already* be something like 40-150K, so almost no compression will be needed.

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »
My sequence of operations is:

That means almost nothing without knowing what software you're using.

The important parameters with jpg format is the size of the final image in pixels, and the compression level.  How you arrive at that depends on your tool.  Gimp is pretty direct about that, so you do your work in the end units.  In Gimp I crop the photo, then resize everything to 640 x 480 unless I think the viewer is really going to care about getting a pretty picture in which case I size it to 800 x 600.  Then I save it at 66% "quality", because that seems to work well.

If I were taking pictures strictly for eye candy effect, I might go larger yet, and higher quality (but not 100%.  100% quality in jpg means no compression at all, which in turn means that you may as well save it as a bitmap.  Do that and you'll have overly large files).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2015, 12:08:46 PM »
There are several online photo hosts that automatically resize and compress photos.  Photobucket for example does all the work for you when you upload your image, and generates code to link or embed the photo on a forum.  There's really no reason to worry about forum attachment limits when there are much easier alternatives.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »
That means almost nothing without knowing what software you're using.

Incorrect. Any algorithm where you compress it first, for example, will have the same very negative effect, and in particular, if that is all you do, it indeed does look like 100K is far too small. Rescaling from 300 DPI to 72 DPI entails very little loss beyond the obvious, then compressing it with JPG has minimal effect.

The sequence above works in Photoshop, GraphicConverter, and GIMP (which is probably what Bill is using). It's essentially the same math underneath.

Brett

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 12:58:36 PM »
  Incorrect. Any algorithm where you compress it first, for example, will have the same very negative effect, and in particular, if that is all you do, it indeed does look like 100K is far too small. Rescaling from 300 DPI to 72 DPI entails very little loss beyond the obvious, then compressing it with JPG has minimal effect.

The sequence above works in Photoshop, GraphicConverter, and GIMP (which is probably what Bill is using). It's essentially the same math underneath.

Brett

Yes, even my cheapie little program called Photo Expressions ($15) works the same way!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
Here are the scoreboard shots for OTS, Ignition, and Ringmaster

Cheers, Jim Hoffman
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 09:43:52 PM by Jim Hoffman »

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »
Here are the scoreboards shots for Classic and Super 70’s

Note that these two events are run concurrently and the contestants are comingled on the three circle.
There is a column labels S70 to identify those folks and their final results.

Cheers, Jim Hoffman

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2015, 03:29:42 PM »
There are several online photo hosts that automatically resize and compress photos.  Photobucket for example does all the work for you when you upload your image, and generates code to link or embed the photo on a forum.  There's really no reason to worry about forum attachment limits when there are much easier alternatives.

I am amused by all of the "advice" that has been offered when this is the correct answer. Any properly written web software would handle this issue automatically.

(Been there, done that!)
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »
I am amused by all of the "advice" that has been offered when this is the correct answer. Any properly written web software would handle this issue automatically.

(Been there, done that!)
Ya but... then you have to put up with all the advertising and slow loading if you are not on a fast connection. I use an old version of a program called ThumbsPlus. It creates thumbnails of all the images in a folder. You click on the thumbnail and it brings it up in a large window, crop, save, upload and done.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2015, 05:11:47 PM »
I had a wonderful time at this years VSC....hope everyone enjoyed as much as I did. A great big thanks from me to CD Jim Hoffman, Assistant CD Leroy Black, judges, tabulators, pit bosses and score runners and the Cholla Chopper MAC. H^^ 

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »
Here are the scoreboard shots for OTS, Ignition, and Ringmaster

Cheers, Jim Hoffman

Hi Jim,
Thanks for posting the scoreboard photos.  Did you stand on your head to take the photos?   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Sorry!  I just couldn't resist!!!   H^^

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2015, 07:06:01 PM »
I was beginning to think I was the only one. LOL.  I have this little bitty laptop that I can turn upside down and read OK. Thanks to everyone that posted pictures and results. Makes it a little less traumatic for those of us who could not make it this year. Congratulations to all the winners, but remember, if you were there you are a winner. Everybody have a safe trip home.
Jim Kraft

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »

(Been there, done that!)

It is also amusing that there are those who will make an issue of an item that is not even the subject of the thread.

Keith

Offline Bill Calandrella

• Ensign
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2015, 06:53:45 AM »
Keith,

I agree!  We just finished one very fine stunt contest and we spend out time discussing the problems with our camera or software...

How about a few pictures from the beauty contest (appearance judging), someone?

Although I was not a participant, I would like to thank all of the people who were here in Tucson for a great five days.  It was great to meet many of you and a pleasure to talk with you, watch you fly and to just enjoy the beautiful weather.

Bill

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »
Chris was flying the Formula S, but it's Bob Whitely's plane and has a Double Star 54 in it.

Hi guys,
Bob was nice enough to let me fly his model while he was recovering from back surgery. The model started out with a 54 but it has a DS60 now. Ran nice once I got the fuel and needle just right, about 13% nitro and a deep four cycle at 85 degrees was the best flight. Big prop, but turns super easily, only pilot problems kept it from placing higher. Bob made me give it back on Saturday night...
Chris...

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
Chris... a .60 in a classic? Absurd..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »
Works rather well, doesn't it?  <chuckle>...

You have GOT to attend one of these things soon.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2015, 10:23:38 PM »
Its on my list...

Trust me mike..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »

Well, if you really want absurd it's a 8 1/2 oz unobtanium .60 from the late Roy Trantham. 

Incidentally, I've flown that airplane and believe it to be the best flying classic airplane anywhere.  I've tried to steal it from Bob several times but he always catches me!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:04 AM »

watching Bob fly that aplane is what made mr build my Formula -S
rad racer

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
Like Jim K., I'm using the lap top so I can turn it over.  But, also I took printing my freshman year and learned to read upside down.   Thanks to all the guys that make VSC happen was in Texas on family vacation and didn't get much time to myself.   Anyway I look forward to a report in Stunt News.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
One notable item from this year's VSC.  Over the years, I have been witness to some incredibly gifted fliers performing some remarkable flights.  Among the best I have ever seen include Bart Klapinski when he won the 67 Nats.  Just a good, if not better was the show that Les McDoanald gave when he was on top of his form winning three World Championships and our Nats.  Then, in this last year was the performance of Igor Burger when he won at the 2014 World CL Championships and in my humble opinion the flights by Orestes Hernandez at the World Championships as well as our Team Trials last Fall were as good as Igor's.  

Now forward to this 2015 VSC and Masaru Hiki with his Halmark.  This was an excursion in how 45o patterns are to be flown with consistent 5 foot bottoms and consistent 45o sizes, good tight and clean corners, consistent intersections, and an appropriately sized four leaf clover.  I was witness (as a judge) to only one of his flights, his last on the final day, but that was one of the finest flights I have ever seen. 

Kaz Minato also flew very well at this VSC.  His win in Classic was well deserved.  These two fliers are well coached and well practiced.

Keith

Offline bill rutherford

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:59 PM »
So who won the other VSC awards?   Ya know like best I beam , sportsmanship, Best airplane,  packaderm and so on.????

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
Here are the results rotated so that Shug will not be the only one to read them.

A sincere thanks to Jim Hoffman for publishing this.
AMA 7544

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
Rotation completed
AMA 7544

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2015, 06:13:35 PM »

Well, of course...
Even though I have a Hot Zoot L&J Fox in my Gieseke Nobler, I always liked your ... absurdity.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
Thanks Chris. . And well done.

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 09:08:09 PM »
Here are the winners of the various Special Awards. - it's right side up on my screen

Jim Hoffman

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »
Thanks Jim,

I see that you are now in elite company with the Pachyderm Award. Welcome to that distinguished club. How did you do it?

Did you get the pictures of the D'Ottavio Jet Falcon that I sent to you?
AMA 7544

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2015, 03:15:17 PM »
How about a pic of the E-Z Duzz- It?

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:57 AM »
E-Z-Duzzit  by Ian Russel of London England

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2015, 03:19:54 AM »
I like it too. I would pick some clever paint scheme for it.....I felt bad that I did't give it more than a second glance! The numbers are reasonable and an industrious builder could have one quick.

Several "lean in the aft section designs" did very well at the contest. I thought Robert's Heinkel 100 of Jack Sheeks design performed well also. Kind of one.... of those that got missed if you asked me.

The Hallmark...good lord!

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2015, 02:47:36 PM »
   ...Always liked this Earl Cayton design myself
AMA 11416

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2015, 03:10:37 PM »
I am pretty sure the OTS Easy that Ian Russel had at this VSC was the one designed by Frank Ehling which has a wide built up profile type fuselage, no flaps.  The Ehling design could be built in about seven different sizes.  It was published in Air Trails in 1950 and again in the 51 Air Trails Annual.

The Earl Cayton Easy Does It with the flaps was published in Flying Models, Jan 57.

Keith

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
   ...Right Keith, The EASY, by Frank Ehling, (article by Dick Sarpolus) was also in the September 2008 MODEL AVIATION (PLAN 1020).  Cheers,  John
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:51:17 PM by John Kelly »
AMA 11416

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »
John,
Did they put the bellcrank/controls in the wing in the ship that Dick published?

Keith - would that be allowed with our current OTS rules?

Best,     DennisT

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:17 PM »
   ...Hey Dennis, I modified my last post (again) with a different crop on the picture. Dick mentions the original (bellcrank on bottom of fuse and guide under inboard wing tip) and what he did (holes in the ribs and internal modern routing). TWISTER kit is still on a back burner. Might have to go out and get a few new stoves to have enough back burners to put all the kits I'm gonna build on. I like your YAK-YAK.  Cheers,  John
AMA 11416

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »
John,
Did they put the bellcrank/controls in the wing in the ship that Dick published?

Keith - would that be allowed with our current OTS rules?

Best,     DennisT

Good question.

The original plans/article by Fran Ehling (from 1950/51) showed the bellcrank mounted externally on the bottom of the fuselage.

The Sarpolus article (2008) shows the bellcrank mounted in the wing.

The PAMPA rules for OTS state:

"4.3  Allowable modifications.
4.3.5 Control Ratios and control mechanism location."

So, if I read the PAMPA rules correctly, the bellcrank can be moved and be allowed by the rules.

I did not look very closely at Ian Russel's Easy, but I am fairly certain that the bellcrank was in the wing.  Ian sometimes visits Stunt Hangar.  Hopefully, he will enlighten us.

Keith

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2015, 07:32:30 PM »
  The original Easy article starts out with Ehling describing a need to quickly build 29 airplanes for Christmas gifts! That is the primary reason he put the controls on the bottom of the fuselage and outside the wing. Mounting the bell crank in the center of the wing was already a common practice, and I'm sure lots of people built this model in a conventional manor. Jim Thomerson built several of these in different sizes, and so did Rusty Brown. I don't remember any of theirs with controls on the bottom of the fuselage. Changing the bell crank mount doesn't affect any of the moments or overall outline and shape of the airplane. Of more interest than the bell crank mount is the way the wing and fuselage is built. The wing is partially built with no center section. The wing is built into the crutch style fuselage and locked in with a balsa block that acts as the center section of the wing. The original article clearly states that he thickness of the airfoil and the thickness of the block is determined by the width of the engine between the mounts, which locates the top and bottom spares that make up the fuselage crutch. That means their is no established, specific airfoil shape. It's an interesting airplane and both articles, the Air Trails and Model Aviation version, tell you all you really need to build one in any of several sizes. The served Jim and Rusty well!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »
I don't suppose that there are plans out there somewhere?

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
   ...Hey Garf, Did you try MODEL AVIATION PLAN 1020? (September 2008 iisue)  Cheers,  John
AMA 11416

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
Someone asked about the beauty pageant....I took a complete set of pics of everything and will post them as I find time.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »
Someone asked about the beauty pageant....I took a complete set of pics of everything and will post them as I find time.

Anxious to see'em John! #^
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2015, 11:30:59 PM »
Joe Gilbert won Old Time with his 23 Oz S-1 Ringmaster!
Way to go Joe!

I'd give odds Joe's name will be on the Walker Trophy in the not too distant future.  This boy can fly and what a great support team he's got!

Ted

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »

Good question.

I did not look very closely at Ian Russel's Easy, but I am fairly certain that the bellcrank was in the wing.  Ian sometimes visits Stunt Hangar.  Hopefully, he will enlighten us.

Keith

Hey! Only just discovered this, we were still in the U.S. when it was written. Yes the pic. of the blue winged model is of an Ehling EASY, and the bellcrank was on the bottom of the fus. as per plan. This was a sad effort, - I kept it light, - too light. New motor, running in v. rich, and the engine/airframe harmonics developed cracks in the fus and wing sheeting! End of my Vintage entry.
Classic E-Z-Duzzit was better, 3rd. and 4th. flights were in the contest. Rather wild and large (and safe) pattern, but I still have a model!

Very carelessly I didn't get a pic. of my own model. Is it just possible anyone took one and can send me?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »
This series of pictures from appearance judging may take awhile. Bear with me as I have been super busy with work and the entire line-up may come in spurts over the next few days.

Jerry Phelps Patriot. I first met Jerry Phelps in 1966 in Dayton down at the old power plant site on the river. My father was his competitor. Jerry flew a Neptune variant often sported by Milton Boos. Something happened in the reverse and Jerry went straight in! Which left the field open for my father to win his first ever First Place trophy flying his blue Hawker Hunter. Jerry was and is considered deadly behind the handle.

This airplane, his Patriot put him on the USA team in '70 or '71. Jerry is from Toledo Ohio.

In '67, I was all of five years old and all over a triple A event like flies on doo doo. I started launching in '65 at age three. The old Dolphin shook so bad with the K&B in the nose...I held onto the stab....vibrated me so bad I cried and cut loose before the old man had the handle securely in his hands. He saved the airplane with a 27 year old's reflexes. Landed....and he was not happy with his sons first performance at the field. But I did learn and very early on.

This is Al Rabes design as built by John Callentine. This one I am sure is better than the first two. John is a wood working expert on par with all the best you may know.The Sea Fury series of articles and anything written by Al is key reading for any stunt aficionado. As is anything written by Ted Fancher. If Billy could write as well as he can play guitar and design stunt aircraft, we all would have been experts years ago. You will see no less than three of his designs in this diatribe about all things stunt.

Speaking of Bill Werwage, this is an exact replica of the original USA1 executed by Jim Hoffman. I have known Jim since the mid '90s, over 20 years now. He and Joe Reinhard flew together in Columbus when Jim attended Ohio State University in the late '70s. We were fast friends and thick as thieves since the day Joe introduced him to us all in about 1995 or so. Incredible engineer with a career spanning 30 years with Honeywell here in Phoenix....jet engines. In 2011 when I first moved to Phoenix II had not even been here a week when my phone rang. The first words out of his mouth were "A little birdie told me you moved to Phoenix, we are flying Sunday, come out and you can fly my Nobler.  Four years later he still calls me up or emails...."We will be flying Sunday, your Nobler will be in the car. " I need to get off of my ass and finish something and give Jim his Nobler back. It happens this year. Work will still be there but I will have the time to build. It has been a dozen years since my last Nats appearance. That will be changing. Going to  Brodak with pops this year and the Nats next year, God willing.

This Nobler is a stock TF '59 version I believe. This one belongs to Roger ? I am sorry sir, it was our first meeting and I have CRS. Nice airplane!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 11:33:48 PM by John Sunderland »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here