News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:53:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To Be, or Not To Be; Asymmetrical that is  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
To Be, or Not To Be; Asymmetrical that is
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:10:39 PM »
I'm starting a new Trophy Trainer and the plans call for 3/4 inch offset for the wing. Would making the wing symmetrical void it being classic legal? And how would the change effect performance?

Thanks,

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: To Be, or Not To Be; Asymmetrical that is
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:22:51 PM »
In my opinion, whatever the rules say it wouldn't be in the spirit of classic stunt.  OT says you can't make any changes that impact the aerodynamics; I suspect that the classic rules say the same.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »
Why would you want to change it?  The original layout flies great as-is.  Tom Warden knew what he was doing.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:24:10 PM »
Why would you want to change it?  The original layout flies great as-is.  Tom Warden knew what he was doing.

Yes, it does fly great. But most stunters now seem to have done away with the asymmetrical wing. I've heard pros and cons both ways, so I'm just thinking of trying it. An no, I would not try to defeat the spirit of Classic Legal. If I do build it that way, I would let everyone know and not try to fudge.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
I agree completely with Mike K. about this change...It's totally unnecessary to make the wings symmetrical.  That said I seriously doubt if anyone would care a whit if you were to do it.
Areodynamically I would personally not make the wings symmetrical but might consider making the outboard wing just a bit longer so that the total assymetry was about 5/8 inch.  That would make it closer to the actual speed differential between the two wings.  Again it really isn't necessary to do that, I've seen several of these things fly at VSC and they seem to fly very well as designed!
The rules for changing things are a little bit more specific for OT than Classic.  At least that's very true for VSC and most other contests I've attended.  No one takes a ruler to anything.  If you were to do something really obvious like moving the landing gear from the wing to the fuselage or something obvious ...like extending the rear of the fuselage by 5 inches someone would probably notice but I doubt that a 1/2 inch more or less of wing span would ever be noticed...or that anyone would care!

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 07:21:32 PM »
I agree completely with Mike K. about this change...It's totally unnecessary to make the wings symmetrical.  That said I seriously doubt if anyone would care a whit if you were to do it.
Areodynamically I would personally not make the wings symmetrical but might consider making the outboard wing just a bit longer so that the total assymetry was about 5/8 inch.  That would make it closer to the actual speed differential between the two wings.  Again it really isn't necessary to do that, I've seen several of these things fly at VSC and they seem to fly very well as designed!
The rules for changing things are a little bit more specific for OT than Classic.  At least that's very true for VSC and most other contests I've attended.  No one takes a ruler to anything.  If you were to do something really obvious like moving the landing gear from the wing to the fuselage or something obvious ...like extending the rear of the fuselage by 5 inches someone would probably notice but I doubt that a 1/2 inch more or less of wing span would ever be noticed...or that anyone would care!

Randy Cuberly

Randy,

The outboard wing LONGER?  I'd make the inboard wing longer...

Bill
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline John Kelly

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »
   ...Than it is... Not than the inboard.
AMA 11416

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:26:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure he meant to type INboard.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
  ...Than it is... Not than the inboard.

Thank you John.  I guess I wasn't very specific about that but that is exactly what I meant.  In other words it is making the outboard wing 1/8 inch longer than the plans show it to be for a total assymetry of 5/8 inch with the longest wing being the inboard.

Bill may have just been poking me...He's like that and a long time good friend!

Randy Cuberly
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 08:52:49 PM by Randy Cuberly »
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 12:42:13 PM »
Thank you John.  I guess I wasn't very specific about that but that is exactly what I meant.  In other words it is making the outboard wing 1/8 inch longer than the plans show it to be for a total assymetry of 5/8 inch with the longest wing being the inboard.

Bill may have just been poking me...He's like that and a long time good friend!

Randy Cuberly

Hey, you don't often give me a shot like that Randy...gotta take advantage while I can!  See you at VSC if not sooner (like the SW Regionals.)

Bill
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:07 PM »
Hey, you don't often give me a shot like that Randy...gotta take advantage while I can!  See you at VSC if not sooner (like the SW Regionals.)

Bill

Yeah, make the Regionals and drag some of those other guys there with you!!

Randy C.
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 06:16:59 PM »
Unlike OTS, there's nothing in the Classic rules that gives the CD authority to DQ a model for modifications of any kind. Changing from wing gear to fuselage gear is common enough, I doubt anybody would get too excited about it. Since nobody uses the "Authenticity" (is that the right word?) Points, any transgressions usually show up in a reduction of Appearance Points, if the AP judges are on their toes.  y1 Steve  
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
I'm starting a new Trophy Trainer and the plans call for 3/4 inch offset for the wing. Would making the wing symmetrical void it being classic legal? And how would the change effect performance?

I wouldn't deduct any Fidelity Points for that. But 3/4" is about right, I wouldn't change that for performance reasons.

Brett

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »

Everybody ought to go to the SWR, it has always been a great contest and at least every time so far, the weather has been very good.

Brett

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »
   I wouldn't deduct any Fidelity Points for that. But 3/4" is about right, I wouldn't change that for performance reasons.

Brett
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I'll build per the plans; the new plans that is. I have a set of Tom's original plans he gave me many years ago, and there are many changes, mostly more modern building techniques etc.

Brian

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here