News:

• May 10, 2024, 08:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleaning old film - Soft Scrub  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cleaning old film - Soft Scrub
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:52:23 AM »
Guys,
I'm getting an old biplane back in the air and have some light brownish tint on some parts of the white film covering. The ship has been sitting for several years on my rack where the window is and sunlight come in the room. I had flown it for a while as a test bed for and OS 40FS and didn't do a proper cleanup when I was finishe and gotten involved with other more serious ships.

I assume this is old castor that over time just started to darken. I saw a product called Soft Scrub that my wife uses on the Corian countertops. It indicates on the produce that it is for cleaning all type of countertops and plastics. Seems this should work, anyone try this produce?

Best,         DennisT

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: Cleaning old film - Soft Scrub
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:25:04 PM »
Best cleaner for all types of plastic is Maguire polishing compound.  Available at airport and aircraft supply shops.

I've used it to restore plexiglass aircraft cockpit canopies.

Floyd
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline John Craig

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »
Monocote makes their own special polish for film covering.  I have used a  paper towel wetted with paint thinner or charcoal lighter fluid with some success.

Offline Bob Hills

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »

SCRUBBIE  BUBBLES  IN  THE SPRAY  CAN  WORKS FOR ME

BOB HILLS IN CT.
Bob Hills  AMA 15512

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:03:30 AM »
Go outside and use acetone or even alcohol.  Make sure use have gloves on.   Then I finish with Windex to get the slight scum off the surface.   Remember acetone may get to dope finishes if left on too long. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »
Go outside and use acetone or even alcohol.  Make sure use have gloves on.   Then I finish with Windex to get the slight scum off the surface.   Remember acetone may get to dope finishes if left on too long. 

Acetone will get to a dope finish if it even touches it period. Do not slip and splatter acetone with anything close enough to be hit or you will be doing some touch up. Been there done that..

It does work well to clean castor grime off plastic coverings but alcohol is a little safer.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
I use to use denatured alcohol for cleaning and it works fine without hurting a dope finish at all. The thing that works best for me now is PB Blaster in a spray can available from Walmart. It seems to cut everything right down to the shine.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 07:20:43 AM »
I use to use denatured alcohol for cleaning and it works fine without hurting a dope finish at all. The thing that works best for me now is PB Blaster in a spray can available from Walmart. It seems to cut everything right down to the shine.

And... PB Blaster is one of the best penetrating fluids you can buy for rusted bolts on old cars and tractors. Never thought about using it for a cleaning agent, thanks for the tip.

Advertise Here

Advertise Here