News:

• April 24, 2024, 08:20:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which leadout is up?  (Read 3583 times)

steven yampolsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Which leadout is up?
« on: January 20, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »
Doe it matter which leadout is positioned in front of the other? Is it the up line that's forward or is is the down line? Does it matter? Is there a difference in handling?

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Which leadout is up?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »
With the line spacing at the tip of 1 1/2 inches or less I don't think it matters unless you are of the caliber of the top pilots of this great country.   Now on the planes in which the spacing was 2 or more inches it would cause the plane to yaw one way or the other.  But, what did I know back then.  I just flew them or tried to fly them.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
I prefer the down line in the front. Give a bit extra yaw on outside maneuvers to counteract GP.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »
I prefer the down line in the front. Give a bit extra yaw on outside maneuvers to counteract GP.

Oh, that's why you gave away that Banshee.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:24 PM »
Actually that's backwards if you're trying to counteract GP S?P....but hey, whatever works for you H^^
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »
Actually that's backwards if you're trying to counteract GP S?P....but hey, whatever works for you H^^

Well I guess it depends on which way you want the GP to work for you...insides or outsides.  however most experts seem to prefer the up line in front.
If the leadouts are spaced about 1/2 to 3/4 inches apart it probably doesn't make much difference.

On most airplanes I've flown it didn't seem to make any difference.

I use the front for up because that's supposed to be the COOL way to do it and my hero Ted says that's the way it should be.   #^

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »
There are a few planes like the Veco Thunderbird that use "apex" leadouts, over/under. One of the fliers at my field has a plane set up that way.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
There are a few planes like the Veco Thunderbird that use "apex" leadouts, over/under. One of the fliers at my field has a plane set up that way.

Garf,

Myself and others did this in the late 50's and early 60's with many of our models.

Still an easy .5" apart but were never adjustible.

I'm thinking of closing up that .5" some and having an over and under adjustible leadout. A test for one of the stunt models I'll build at the end of  this year. One of my 1214 projects.

God willing.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
Sometimes a simple search of this forum does wonders y1
There's a whole thread on this subject here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=28113.0
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
Of course, Paul Walker long since convinced me to have independently adjustable leadouts. Makes a difference.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:40:02 PM »
I don't know?

One would think both leadouts exiting from the same adjustible single hole?

I could be totally wrong!

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »
Of course, Paul Walker long since convinced me to have independently adjustable leadouts. Makes a difference.

Uhhhhh Yeah...but what does that have to do with which one exits in front??  D>K  <=

Besides...compared to Charles, what does Paul Walker know... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
From the conversations I've overheard, the answer depends on if the model flies CW or CCW, and if the propeller rotates LH or RH.  D>K
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 02:03:30 AM »
I don't know?

One would think both leadouts exiting from the same adjustible single hole?

I could be totally wrong!

Charles
yes, that is how we do indoors :- ))

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »
From the conversations I've overheard, the answer depends on if the model flies CW or CCW, and if the propeller rotates LH or RH.  D>K
:- ))) yes ... and also if you use Rabe rudder or not.

usually (I fly only tractors) I have down line front. It stabilizes model. Reverse (up line front) can act against precession, but it has tendency to hunting.

Pusher prop will make it just opposite.

Rabe rudder can change it if its deflection os overdone. (or cancel if something is wrong)

So for me - I have independent LO guid, so I can reverse it, and test what is better, but on 90% model I have down line front. When it is done, I set rabe rudder efect that it tracks well. and later I trim only by rudder offset (that permanent) and I do not touch LO anymore.

Offline Valentin Apostolov

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 05:39:22 AM »
I made some of my models with above/under LO  but adjustable. It is possible. Like it
The distance is 1/2 ". The "above" is UP.

Valentin Apostolov

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 05:51:26 AM »
I made some of my models with above/under LO  but adjustable. It is possible. Like it
The distance is 1/2 ". The "above" is UP.

Valentin Apostolov

but such solution makes asymetric roll, which is impossible (ok ok ... not so easy) to compensate by flaps (or anything else I know)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:54 AM »
I will just refer you to the January 2013 issue of Control Line World magazine page 64 for my reply.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 08:40:01 PM »
I will just refer you to the January 2013 issue of Control Line World magazine page 64 for my reply.
Clancy

Thanks, Clancy. You can look up my reply in my HS Yearbook.  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:57 PM »
yes, that is how we do indoors :- ))
Or monoline.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
but such solution makes asymetric roll, which is impossible (ok ok ... not so easy) to compensate by flaps (or anything else I know)

Well, to be fair, no one is actually trimming well enough to tell the difference of 1/2" at the wingtip in the first place.

Brett

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 12:51:19 AM »
in that case that "no one" not need to think which should be up  >:D

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
When flying over grass I like the down line in front... if it snags, the plane noses down and maybe does not get destroyed... if it shoots up and in it's a goner... Yeah learned this the hard way. Of course this does not give a real answer to your question, just what I did on scratch build non-flapped profiles while flying at the Jr. High soccer field.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »
Pm a 1/2A size airplane I have the leadouts out one hole.  With 1/2 inch separation there is yaw when control is applied.  On a bigger airplane I go 1/2-3/4 inch and it works to suit me.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 02:34:18 PM »
in that case that "no one" not need to think which should be up  >:D

Hey, how about that?

Brett

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »
What happens when airplane is inverted. Are effects reversed.  Seems to me they are. Since up line is now down line and the reverse. Come to think of it, when doing the figures, nearly equal time is spent on your back as on your belly. Equally so for transitions. Same time transitioning to on your back as transitioning to on your belly. If up line/down line choice, does have a noticeable effect on yaw, it would probably be best to maximize the positive effect when flying inverted. Since it is, by itself, a judged maneuver. Take off/climbing to level flight/level flight is a combination maneuver.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here