News:

• April 26, 2024, 04:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front leadout is up?  (Read 3629 times)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • owner
Front leadout is up?
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »
I notice that some people make the front leadout as the "up" line.  I've built both ways and I can't find any difference.  After all, there are just as many maneuvers which pull hard on the down line, as well as the up line.  If there is any aerodynamic advantage, I can't find one.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline proparc

• Admiral
Re: Front leadout is up?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:49 AM »
Has nothing to do with aerodynamics. It's for yaw control. I believe Al Rabe developed it.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
What Milton said......& Al Rabe is the "man"
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »
Last weekend at "The Scobee", I overheard a conversation between Chris Cox, Alan Resinger and Paul Walker. Chris was complaining about a problem with his "Crossfire", which I think was yawing on one of the top corners of the Hourglass. It's electric powered, flies CCW and uses a "pusher" prop. Next one will have the "up" line aft. Alan's "Crossfire" is also electric powered, but uses a "tractor" prop, because he flies CW, and has the up line forward and no problem with it. Paul had already figured that out, from testing both pusher and tractor props on older models.

I guess the moral of the story is that just because you can reverse polarity and use a pusher prop doesn't mean you should, unless you build the plane with the leadouts appropriately reversed. That said, most of us just aren't at the skill level where we'd notice the difference.  :'(  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »
Last weekend at "The Scobee", I overheard a conversation between Chris Cox, Alan Resinger and Paul Walker. Chris was complaining about a problem with his "Crossfire", which I think was yawing on one of the top corners of the Hourglass. It's electric powered, flies CCW and uses a "pusher" prop. Next one will have the "up" line aft. Alan's "Crossfire" is also electric powered, but uses a "tractor" prop, because he flies CW, and has the up line forward and no problem with it. Paul had already figured that out, from testing both pusher and tractor props on older models.

I guess the moral of the story is that just because you can reverse polarity and use a pusher prop doesn't mean you should, unless you build the plane with the leadouts appropriately reversed. That said, most of us just aren't at the skill level where we'd notice the difference.  :'(  Steve

Mine are all conventional (rear line up) and it seems to work as well as anything else.

Backwards props are interesting and the difference in the trim is clearly evident just from watching. Not necessarily better, but different.

Brett

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »
I've always understood that having the up line at the front helps counter precession induced yaw (both in and out). The difference in line tension between the up and down lines tends to yaw the model in the opposite direction to precession.

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
Chris and I spent the past two mornings working on the problem with his model yawing.  Paul judged and commented about the amount of yaw Chris' plane compared to mine.  I've used the reversed bellcrank for years to counter yaw.  Chris has never reversed his.  Because we are both flying Hunt Crossfires with the same setup apart from props, we started checking adjustments.  We were going to reverse his leadouts and try that but then noted that his up line was almost 1" aft of mine.  We moved his leadouts closer together moving the aft line (up line) about 3/4" forward.  His yawing problem was greatly reduced.  Moving both forward another 1/4" improved the problem further.  When Paul first started flying electric, I commented about his use of the pusher prop.  His answer started "well you know how during the first corner of the outside square the model"  he stopped and said "I forgot, you know all about that", his reference about the fact that flying CW, I have always taken advantage of the motor torque to aid in outside manouvers.  The same reason that most electric flyers use pusher props to take advantage of the direction the motor spins.
Alan Resinger

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »
I have a set of plans for the early 1950's Trixy and the leadout wires cross over each other. What do you think was the reason for that. Was that there way to get the front leadout to be the up line. :!
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »
Put the leadouts one over and under the other.

Bob Palmer did it. I did it in my twin boom Ares back in the early 60's.

They could still be adjustable if they were over and under.

Looks nice too.

Took a while to find this photo, I haven't posted it in a while.

I'm slipping.  ;D

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 07:31:07 PM »
In some approximate calculations I did decades ago, prop Gyroscopic Precession can (sort of) be estimated. It DO exist, and numbers that fell out of those "studies" suggest it may be noticeable. - In CCW upright flight, an inside turn causes precession torque tending to yaw the nose out, and vice versa. Depends on RPM, diameter and weight of prop and a few other things.

Generally, the effect is small. However, I have two models that served as experimental 'goats.' Profiles - not a big thing to switch the elevator horn to the opposite surface. (Same thing as running UP line forward if you switch the horn to above the elev...) The smaller profile - an M&P Ercoupe - was very twitchy in yaw on hard inputs when UP line was aft; the larger - a Goldberg Shoestring - twitched less w/UP line aft, but the effect was still observable.

Our CLPA cornering is severe enough that I would rather not have to counter precession effects any more than absolutely necessary. Combining various trim conditions with a potentially hard, brief precession kick may worsen tendencies to "hinge." Thus, I've used UP line forward since. if it's only a feel good thing, so...?
\BEST\LOU

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:19 AM »
In some approximate calculations I did decades ago, prop Gyroscopic Precession can (sort of) be estimated.

No "sort of" about it, it's a simple matter to get the real value to any degree of accuracy. What you aren't getting very well is the P-factor that in most cases goes the other way, nor the magnitude of the other disturbances. It has been my observation that in virtually all cases tiny errors in the other trim elements completely swamps the yaw component of precession, P-factor, etc. The pitch component is a lot easier to see and to deal with.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 07:47:08 AM »
I ran the Over/Under setup for a number of years and moved away from it in the last 2 models.. In trimming it I found the "up" line ended up further forward to the down line anyway so the added weight almost proved counterproductive.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »
    Most of the things we do in controline are compromises that work together to benifit the overall performance. While the difference in up/down leadout postion may be small or could be trimmed out using other methods, the position that makes the most sense would be that which works in our favor, particularly in hard corners, i.e. up leadout in front (normal CCW flight and CCW engine rotation).
     Here's a quote from Al Rabe a while back on this forum:
    "OK.  My answer is that it doesn't make much difference, but I have always thought that a front UP line would offer a slight advantage with regard to gyroscopic precession.  The front down line may have a slight negative effect.  Since there isn't enough difference to worry about, why not go for the slight possible improvement?"

Al
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

Hi.

How notable is the difference when you swap from front/up leadout to front/down? I remember Igor mentioning somewhere, that he allways tries it both ways.
 As I'm using a rather big 3-bladed 14,2x5,5" pusher prop in my plane, I feel a slight problem in controlling the outside square maneuvres. OK, the line tension in top of hourglass is great, but I'm sure that I could manage with less. The problems are biggest in outside squares, too much line tension makes it difficult to fly accurately.
 There is also noticeable wear in the rear lead-out guide and also the rea lead-out cable shows some signs of abuse. The distance between front and rear cable is about 15mm in tip.
 The model is a Yatsenko Shark. Being fully take-apart it's not a big deal to replace the bellcrank with a new one, even though I must move the bellcrank pivot slightly outwards. I'm just wondering if it's worth the trouble. Or should I concentrate in making the engine go slower in outsides? Power is not an issue.

Lauri

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:35 AM »
I would think the spacing between the leadouts at the tip has a lot to do with it.  Mine are within 3/4" of each other. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
Paul Walker finally beat into my head to have the leadouts independently adjustable. That has been nice for trimming out yaw.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »

Mine are too independently adjustable. Should I try moving them closer to each other first? Minimum is about 1/4" L

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here