« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:23:28 AM by Air Master »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Goldberg Lil Wizard 049
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:14:32 AM »
   Hi Rusty;
     It may take me a day or two to get to check, but I think I bought some parts tracings and such off eBay for a few bucks and I think I have a kit also to copy the instruction sheet. I have then filed away and will try to dig them out this weekend. Been working a lot the past few months and have lots to catch up on, like sleep! The Wizard is a nice airplane, and I taught my son Sean to fly with one when he was three years old ans I have the video tape to prove it!
   Stay tuned for further developments as they become available! H^^
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
  Florissant, MO
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
Rusty clearly indicated in his post that he was not interested in the Brodak kit - I respect that, so this is for anyone else who is curious.

The only diference betwen the Goldberg and the Brodak versions is that the Brodak has laser cutting instead of die cutting.  The Brodak kit retains the pre-shaped wing and rubber banded engine mount.  It also includes the original Goldberg plans sheet and at least until they run out, it is shipped in Goldberg kit box.

I built one last year and it went togther splendidly...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:12:11 PM »
Hi Rusty
The Wizard is prepped for either a beam mount (like the Brodak 049) or the firewall with rubber bands - see the pix.  The firewall even has the mounting holes burned in for either the Cox reedies or (I think) the Testors 049. The wing airfoil is presanded and fits the fuselage quite well.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
Happy to help out in any way I can.  Actually it is such a good kit you could teach him how to BUILD too!  I had forgotten how much fun it is to build sheet balsa models...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 06:43:47 PM »
Hi Dennis,

That is exactly what I want.  I think that is the best plane to teach my son to fly on.

Thank you for taking the time to teach me about this.

Rusty
    Hi Rusty;
      The Brodak version incorporates some fuselage doublers that aren't on the Goldberg original, I think and that will help with durability. I still have to dig my kit out and check. When I built them for Sean, I would laminate 1/64" plywood to the fuselage before sanding and makes it almost indestructible. Put the strongest engine that you have on it so you can fly on the longest set of lines possible. Try to get out to 35 or more. The airplane flies faster and better, but lap times stay slower. I don't remember messing with the rubber band auto-pilot thing that was mentioned in the plans, just make sure to have some tip weight on it for those breezy days. The rubber band engine mount lets you adjust side thrust for more or less as needed. If he can ride a bike , he can fly a control model. That's the analogy that I give kids when instructing them at KidVenture, guide the airplane with the handle with small movements just like they move the handle bars on their bike. They really seem to get that. Keep the video camera handy for that first solo flight!
  Good luck and have fun!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
 Florissant, MO
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
Actually, i was just about to mention the rubber band auto pilot hook-up.  I remember using it on the Lil' Wizard and then putting it on several other's. I thought it was a very cool thing for beginners!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
Actually, i was just about to mention the rubber band auto pilot hook-up.  I remember using it on the Lil' Wizard and then putting it on several other's. I thought it was a very cool thing for beginners!
      I think it worked in conjunction with the tip weight, When the lines go slack, the tip weight banks the model out and the rubber band contracts to put in some up. They advertised on the box to being able to fly on 60 foot lines or something like that. The concept sounds good, just don't remember trying it. That's one of those things that I ought to try now just to see!
    Just got done watching the St. Louis Blues tear up the Mighty Ducks 9-3. Now I'm heading to the basement to do some digging! I find that very relaxing and a lot of fun!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
   Hey Rusty;
     Check your email. I just sent you scans of the stuff I got off ebay. Should be enough to let you scratch build one. And don't let the guys that poo poo Cox engines deter you from using one of those to power it. The guys that can't get Cox engines to run just don't understand the beast. Cox engines are a BIG part of model airplane and control line model history. They are simple, easy to operate and the perfect choice for a you kid to learn to work on and service. If you can get a Black Widow, at least 15% nitro fuel with at least 20% oil and some castor oil in it, (25% nitro would be better) 6-3 prop and consider even using .012 metal lines about 38 feet long. Some would scoff at that but we successfully flew Cox PT-19's on 42 foot .012" lines in calm winds at Oshkosh. The metal lines are less drag than dacron, and even though you can use .008", the .012" are easier to take care off.
   Good luck with the project and have fun. It all starts here. I taught my son on a Goldberg Wizzard when he was three years old, and we have been flying together ever since. He's currently on his third tour of duty over seas as an Army UAV operator outside Kandahar, Afghanistan looking for bad guys. You never know where the road will lead for your son. Keep us posted on his progress, and cherish the memories! y1 H^^
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
  Florissant, MO
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
Hopefully you made two kits of the plane.   You build yours and boy builds his.  Did that with a glider kit many years with my son.  I would sand a part and he sanded his.  We glued the together and headed for the school ground.  I gave him mine to fly with his as his flew much better than mine.  He had a blast trimming those things out.  All I did was tell him what to look for. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
blank
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:37:29 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:24:43 AM by Air Master »

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
Rusty, the plane looks great!! I would try it first, if it is too nose heavy i add a little lead under the stab thru the fuselage. I use bullet type fishing sinkers quite often, drill a hole thru the fuse and ca it in to try ,you can file them or cut them, sometimes i may have to use two sinkers, sometimes cut some off one, then glue it permanent when i get it right. Let us know how it flies! Good job!!
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
Balancing of every airplane is VERY important, regardless of the size of the plane.  From the smallest model plane to the largest cargo plane the balance must be right.  A nose heavy plane may be flown but it will be sluggish and not responsive to the controls.  A tail heavy plane will be very sensitive to the controls until you will not be able to control it and it should not be flown.  Often the insertion of a larger wood screw in the right place will cure the balance on 1/2A planes.  I tape the screw to the plane until I find the correct placement, then I screw it in.

Larry

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:03 AM »
Sounds like you got it somewhat closer to balanced- it will be slow to turn and not like high angles like overhead. It will also drop the nose when it quits, learn to hear it get ready to run out, and fly low and level, slid / plop it in and it will survive.

Fly it a bit that way and shake it down, fix the loose stuff, then start adding a bit of tail weight. You have to find a point where you can fly it, and the extra weight doesn't make it a pig.  I lighter prop / spinner etc won't hurt either. 

Most 1/2A's fly better w/o the landing gear, if you have someone to launch that won't toss it in the ground, or high and straight at ya! Catapult launch from a folding sawhorse / table thing with a built in stooge can work if you are solo.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:19 AM »
HI Rusty!

That has to be one of the best looking Lil' Wizards ever! ;D  Most I saw never looked that good.

It is meant to be a trainer, so nose heavy is a LOT better than tail heavy.  Go ahead and fly it then see what needs to be done.  For its intended purpose, it might just be fine "as is".  There are a lot of easily built 1/2A size models that are meant for more "performance" that you can whip together in a heart beat for the "next one"..

Have fun!
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »
When we, Black Hawk Models, build a new model, I put it together and either tape or glue the engine in place to test the balance.  I may need to redesign and build several models to get the balance point very close.  At that point I will rework the appearance of the model to get the look that we were looking for in the first place.  I am saying all of this to say that you may have to just start over.  This is one of the cost of designing a kit. 
     Just looking at the picture of the model the nose does look too long with those heavy support blocks and thick plywood mounts.  Also you might think of using 1/8" tail parts, they are stronger and help shift the weight.

Good Luck
Larry

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »
Happy to help out in any way I can.  Actually it is such a good kit you could teach him how to BUILD too!  I had forgotten how much fun it is to build sheet balsa models...

Dennis, that's interesting. Somnetimes its just so enjoyable just to build like a kid again, simple, no frills, no grand expectations and allot of fun. I remember when I quit flying Wakefield with all the CF, Kevlar, glass, resin, alunimum, mylar, etc, etc, it was SO nice just to build a balsa wood model again!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »
Hello from sunny Fort Pierce, FL. 

I was wondering if someone had the original Goldberg Lil Wizard 049 kit and would be willing to sell me a tracing of the parts, so I can make one?

I want to use it to teach my son to fly.

I don't want the Brodak one, I want to make an original one.   I think it had a shaped solid wing, rubber banded on engine mount, etc.

I have paypal on standby.

Rusty

A CG on Ebay rignht now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARL-GOLDBERG-LIL-WIZARD-MODEL-AIRPLANE-KIT-/350441757277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5197f4da5d
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Goldberg Lil Wizard *Ready For Inspection*
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 07:54:29 AM »
Okay Guys, have at it!  Let me know what you think...

Question:  Is balancing this plane that important?  It is nose heavy.  I don't remember ever balancing this little planes when I was a kid. 

Rusty

This model was purposely designed "nose heavy" to de-sensitize it.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
Dennis, that's interesting. Somnetimes its just so enjoyable just to build like a kid again, simple, no frills, no grand expectations and allot of fun. I remember when I quit flying Wakefield with all the CF, Kevlar, glass, resin, alunimum, mylar, etc, etc, it was SO nice just to build a balsa wood model again!

I HEAR YA!  Did the same with my RC sailplanes.  The modern stuff was of course incredible, but I did not enjoy it like I did building "woodies"! 

Rusty:
FANTASTIC Wizard.  Yes it is nose heavy - on purpose.  It will do fine.  The rubberbanded firewall should let you get an extra bounce or two out of it too!  GOOD LUCK with the flight training.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 10:01:32 AM »
This is my Wizard that is about 30 years old it has been broken in half several times right behind the fuse doublers and is probably more 5 min epoxy than balsa at this point. It hasnt been flown in 28 years since I hit my brother in law in the head with it, He was fine but had a lump and a patch of hair torn out by the prop as a 12 year old it freaked me out so much I quit flying , actually that was the last time I flew one of my own planes but I have flown a few times since then and am getting ready to start up again but I think the Wizard is retired. T.J. Ps. most of the kids in my 4-H club had Wizards and one of the things our leader did was cut down popcickle sticks and glue them out at the wingtips on the under side of the wing because the trailing edges would often break off here.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 10:12:41 AM »
Check out the plane real well.  Make sure everything is "solid" and fire her up!  ;D

You have changed since you were "12" LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
It's funny Bill I didn't know any of my plane stuff still existed but my Dad packed it all away up in the attic and my Mom found it all a year and a half ago when she was looking for my Dads USMC dress hat for his funeral. I didnt know that it was my brother in law until he saw the plane on the work bench and showed me his scar on the back of his head, his blood is still on the wing, I didn't really know him at the time and it was a real flash back to 12 years old, he was just an extra kid who was pitting for me in a 4 plane race during the county fair our leader mixed up the lines and mine were a few feet longer than every one else's he was standing where he was supposed to be I was diving down to make a low pass and drilled him right between the shoulder blades, the tail snapped off, the plane bounced back and then hit him in the head knocking off his hat and dropping him on the ground, Thank God I hit him in the back first cause that was my fastest Black Widow and that pointy little spinner probably would have gone through his skull. I asked him but he refuses to pit for me now !  My Younger daughter saw all my plane stuff and was the one who re lit my plane fire.T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »
Black Hawk Models web site catalog is at:
www.blackhawkmodels.com

With over 100 different models from .049 to .60

We also print a Magazine "HALF-A-FLYER" That is full of lots of good stuff.
First issue FREE as a PDF file.

Larry

Offline Dennis Holler

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
Great Thread!!  I never had a Lil Wizard, but after starting to get back into flying after 25+ years, I've been wondering when (what age) would be right to get my little guy started or to at least let him try it.  He just turned five, so maybe now's a good time VD~  I've a few .049's laying around and plenty of balsa... #^

Thanks!!
I've started plenty...would be nice to finish something!!!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 10:06:49 PM »
You need 35' to 40'lines, 50' is as much too long as 20' is too short!  Go down to the local sporting goods store and buy some Spiderwire (non-stretch fishing line).
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
I need  a kit or plans for a lil jumpin bean, true I can build it from lookin at a pic, but its my friend that wants it and it wont be the same for him if I build it. it's for his grandson. So you see it wouldn't be the same if I built it and he can't scratch build it and idont care if its a brodak kit.  jim

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here