News:

• May 23, 2024, 08:35:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Ideal Field Box!!  (Read 9515 times)

Offline MrSteve09

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
The Ideal Field Box!!
« on: May 28, 2010, 05:41:14 PM »
Hey Guys,...

I've been wanting a new flight box for a couple years now, even when I was still flying RC.  Now that I'm flying control line exclusively, I'm trying to downsize my box for carrying control line specific items (no more electric starter, no more electric fuel pump, battery testers or chargers).  My only requirement  was to have a nice little compartment, hatch, or drawer for my log book.  I drew up a great box and just when I thought I was satisfied with it, I remembered that I wanted some compartments for bug spray and sunscreen, and a small First Aid kit!!

Just curious,... What are your thoughts on an "Ideal Field Box"?  Any pictures would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Steve T.

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: The Ideal Field Box!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
The way I see it you need two boxes. One for just the stuff you need to fly with and one box for ever thing else. LOL
I thought about trying to down size but I always need something at the field that I left on the work bench.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:52:01 AM by Paul Taylor »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:36:06 PM »
That's how I do it Paul, one small tote with me booster, prop wrenches, a glow plug. and my finger guard. Then I have a large box that stays in the truck most of the time along with my first aid kit.
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Bob Hills

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:50:53 AM »

HI steve;
         I use a small box for the flightline only stuff. All the rest goes in my trusty 1957 tackle box that went to the 1957 Willow Grove PA nationals. It stays in the trunk until needed.

Your friend in CL.
    Bob Hills in CT.
Bob Hills  AMA 15512

Offline phil myers

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 06:31:28 AM »
Steve, I like to have as much as I can carry to the take off position, without breaking my arm with weighty stuff. Like the others have said I also have 2 boxes but one is left in the car. (more props,spare tanks,line handles,
first aid kit etc)
Here's a pic of my 'take to the field  every time' box ... Phil

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:41:19 AM »
I've been wrestling with this for several years. Best I can offer is some of my ideas...The two box deal is most likely the only way to go. My main consideration is the weight OF THE BOX! When I first came back I was flying R/C. (ugh!)
Built the box huge, out of 1/4" and 3/4" plywood. H E A V Y ! still using it!

Now think light! How about that Corrugated plastic they use for signmaking? Use uprights of Frank Tiano's "mitey-Lite Ply" (1/4" or so) to tie it all together. Wrap the plastic around the uprights to form the sides and bottom. Attach with SS marine screws and collars and epoxy.

Lacking this, there are any number of lightweight cloth "tool boxes" around these days, although may not be terribly suited for carrying fuels, etc.

I also fly smallish airplanes (35's and 36's) so I dont need to drag around 7 1/2 to 8 lbs (a gallon) of fuel. I've found that Crest Pro-Health Mouthwash 1 liter bottles are fuelproof and take my Ketchup bottle pumps. They are clear, flat, and don't take up a lot of room.

Get creative!  H^^

W.
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 11:04:41 AM »
Here is one that my buddy Mike built. It has almost everything in one box.

If I had room in my truck I would get something like this one I found at Home Depot but It is too tall to sit in the bed of my truck with my lid closed.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xp3/R-100624570/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Put Fuel two gallons of fuel in the bottom and room for everything you need to fly and repair at the field.

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
Thanks guys for all the suggestions.  I was thinking of still bringing the big R/C box and leaving it in the truck, just in case the engine got stubborn and I needed an electric starter.  However when I fly at he local ball field in town I wanted a smaller light weight box to carry across the field to the diamond way in the back (as not to bother anyone).  Its quite a trek to carry a big heavy box, stooge, and airplane all in one trip.  I even thought of only carrying a half gallon at a time.  I've got a couple nice metal half gallon cans from a maple syrup company. 

I've got a box drawn up that is 18 inches long by 7 1/4 wide, and only 10 inches high to the handle.  Four drawers, 4 1/2 by 7 1/4 compartment on one side for the fuel can (I went with the full gallon can) and a small 2 inches by 7 1/4 for sunscreen bug spray and first aid kit.  Hopefully I can find a small First Aid kit to fit into that space, ha!

Steve T

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 12:13:54 PM »
Steve,
The thing about that one from Home Depot, it is a caddy. You could roll that with ever thing in it with one hand and carry your plane in the other. Just a thought. :!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:30:20 PM »
I used to have a smaller box that I carried, but I now have arthritis and a few other "itises" so needed something a bit different.  This box is bigger, has everything but the sink in it, and is terrifically portable.  It has wheels on the bottom and a handle that extends out the top.  I am going to make a simple cradle that attaches to the handle that will hold on of my planes for field work.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »
I use a Sig four gallon cardboard fuel box.  The little stuff is in a plastic shoebox inside.  H^^

Offline Rick Campbell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
Go to Wally Mart and check out the selection of makeup cases, sometimes called "train cases." They look cool, are compact and have plenty of compartments.

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
Bob Mears has a kit with wheels, a seat, a solar charger, and launching stooge in one unit.
AMA 77370

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »
Hey look on page 141 of MA some guy has a pit cart!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
I found these on eBay by searching for "Train Case"
They are all steel reinforced aluminum on wheels with extendable handle

350304843268  size overall 15 3/4 x 11 x 27 high,      price $134.99
170484895615  size overall 14 1/4 x 9 1/2 x 29 high,  price $159.99
350351432355  size overall 15 1/2 x 12 x 30 high,      price $175.99

A company called Caboodles makes a large assortment but try to get through their web site!!!

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »
is a small backpack!

My flying site is 8 minutes brisk walk from the parking lot, so with a backpack I can carry 2 or 3 models plus all my kit.

I did have to rationalise my kit though. The first thing I realised when I started flying CL again was that I never ever fix at the field. I always bring it home and fix it properly/in comfort, so that immediately reduced the amount of tools I needed to bring (props, plugs and nvas excepted). As things stand I have a small sandwich box for my tools, spare plugs, spanner, glow lead, tweezers, fuel tubing etc etc etc. An even smaller box for my tacho and stop watch. An old screw top candy tube for flicking stick (APCs - I like being attached to all of my fingers), fuelling syringes, glow start leads, screwdrivers, stooge pegs and occasionally props (if they fit). An empty CD container for lines and some towels for cleaning.

About a quart of fuel (its actually a 1 litre plastic can), even if I'm flying 60s that's 9 flights for me, which is more than enough for an average mornings flying (for me).

I use my kneeling mat as extra padding on my back and it has revolutionised my flying. Grab and go.

Handles/stooge in pockets, as well as refreshments, logbook etc

Chris
IRL-1638

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
is a small backpack!

Now that is a good idea!

Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
Well it is finally built.  All I need to do now is stain and polyurethane it.  I've got two half gallon cans for two different types of fuel.  The First Aid kit, bug spray and sun screen fit neatly in the side pocket.

I've got a couple pictures.  One with the "old" flight box behind it for size comparison.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input.  I appreciate everyone chiming in here with their thoughts and experiences.

I'll keep everyone apprised as to how it actually works in the field.

Steve T.

Offline Guy B Jr

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 12:19:49 AM »
Here is a cart that you can use to go from the car to the field. I folds to less than 4 inches.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/987304/Office-Depot-Mobile-Folding-File-Cart/
Guy Blankinship

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
Ketchup bottle pumps.
??

Is that looks like, or is that really from ketchup bottles from the store?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:16 AM »
I am all for light. My flight box is a china carrier similar to this one:

I customized it as such
1) balsa box that fits into a long slot for hardware, fuel lines, filters, tip weights. It takes up 1/3 of the long slot. long slot is where I keep the handle and lines
2) drilled a hole through the side( center of middle slot) with for long bolt with a butterfly nut. I use it for props. I typically carry 2-3 props at most.
3) bought nalgene bottle with a spray pump from US plastics that fits into one of the smaller opennings. I use it to clean the plane
4) one of smaller opennings is used for wrenches, knives, crimper, etc. Another openning is used for the syrenge.
5) Glued a balsa shelf on the opposite side from the props and drilled opennings where crew drivers and allen wrenches go
6) on the narrow side I made a balsa pocket where I keep the tach and stop watch.
7) on the other narrow side I have made a shelf with holes big enough for a couple glow drivers.

The box is made out of poplar so it's very light and can be carried with one hand.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 10:59:42 AM »
Sig used to put out a small cardboard flight box with 4 compartments back in the 60's that I used forever. It had a handle in the middle, and carried everything I needed back then. I only flew Fox 35's, so only needed one spare prop, a few tools, and a nicad. I carried a gallon of Superfuel in the other hand. Ah! Things were simple back then. Almost forgot the ribbed black rubber finger protector, as I used a lot of those Top Flight white nylon props back then. As I think back, I wonder how my Sterling mustang profile worked at all. I ran a one of those tall double wedge profile tanks, (non uniflow) and a stock Fox long plug. It flew great though as I remember. It also had the tank centered on the needle. I put a lot of Superfuel through that engine. Oops! I'm rambling again. Sorry
Jim Kraft

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 12:10:52 PM »
A few years back, Roy Trantham needed a box to carry fuel and starting equipment when he had events on two different circles as it was
too hard to carry the big field box back and forth, so I came up with this design.  I liked it so much I built one for myself.  Carries the fuel
in the center for balance, space for starter battery, screw drivers, props, prop wrench and other small items.  Hardly ever
take the big box out of the car anymore.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
How does this one look to you?
On wheels with a retractable handle.

Do an eBay advanced search for "Train Case", "$100 to $200" and "Buy It Now."

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »
Elwyn snapped a photo of Roy Decamara's flight box at Brodaks, pretty unique hope he posts it.

Offline Greg McCoy

• Commander
  • flying tiger B24 gunnery school patch Laredo
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »
Sig used to put out a small cardboard flight box with 4 compartments back in the 60's that I used forever. It had a handle in the middle, and carried everything I needed back then. I only flew Fox 35's, so only needed one spare prop, a few tools, and a nicad. I carried a gallon of Superfuel in the other hand. Ah! Things were simple back then. Almost forgot the ribbed black rubber finger protector, as I used a lot of those Top Flight white nylon props back then. As I think back, I wonder how my Sterling mustang profile worked at all. I ran a one of those tall double wedge profile tanks, (non uniflow) and a stock Fox long plug. It flew great though as I remember. It also had the tank centered on the needle. I put a lot of Superfuel through that engine. Oops! I'm rambling again. Sorry

The Sig box would slip over the handlebar of a Schwinn. Kit box on the handlebar, Ringmaster tucked under the arm, I was ready when the Dynajets called. We didn't have web-cams then, we had Dynajets.
AMA 77370

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 09:20:55 AM »
We still have Dynajets.. We will fire one up next weekend at the Traithalon for a few rounds. (we hope).

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »
I use one of those big black things on wheels.  But after dragging it around for five years. I bought a pair of "cargo" pants. Now I carry what I need in six big pockets.  Exept fuel, that I do before going to the circle. Only problem now, is my pants keep falling down.... LL~ LL~ y1 H^^

Hey Ty, suspenders will take care of that.   LL~ LL~ LL~When ever I wear a belt, I feel naked. ~^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 07:29:46 PM »
The ultimate in simplicity. Looks like it's also serving it's original purpose as well.

Offline MrSteve09

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »
Hey Guys,...

I'm finally finished my "Ideal" Flight Box!!  I know its been a while,... I'm slow, what can I say.

Here are a few pictures.  The center drawer has a plastic organizer in it which may be too big, taking up too much space.  I'd like to buy a smaller one to give myself more room in the drawer for stop watch, tach, prop reamer, and other small tools.  I'm looking for a nice set of Ignition Wrenches.  I have an old set I permanently borrowed from my father and they are six point wrenches, whereas the new set that I got from Sears is a twelve pointed wrench set.  I just don't get a warm fuzzy using the twelve point wrench as I'm always afraid it will slip and round off.

Just little details to take care of but I'm planning on pressing the new flight box into service the next time I go flying!!

Thanks for everyones input, suggestions, and constructive comments.  I appreciate all the responses and discussion.

Sincerely,
Steve T.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
Beautiful job, and functional too. Very nice looking Cardnal also.
Jim Kraft

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 08:01:26 PM »
Could always use the A$$ bucket like my mate Dave....
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »
I think this is about the ultimate pit box, designed, made, and given to me by Gary Letsinger. Check the fab joinery! It's a nice fit for what I carry. Three glow ignitors, plus a lead that plugs into the meter panel for a 4th backup. Carhartt glove plus the Kavan starter. A few extra fuel tank caps and tools, but no spare glowplugs, no props.

My main toolbox is a yellow & grey plastic unit made by Plano. The three "drawers" are lidded plastic boxes, and there's the space in the top. I carry tools in the bottom box, along with chargers for the starter pack, ignitors, etc., some spares in the middle box (mufflers, spinners, fuel filters, glowplugs), some fuel hose, fresh sub-C batteries, etc. In the top are lines and handles, packed as matched sets for various planes, in ziplock bags. There's my extra double dark sun glasses, and a box of rubber bands, some spare props,  some sidewalk chalk in a zip bag, for marking the circle center, and a small halon fire extenguisher.  n~ Steve

http://www.planomolding.com/2010/07/stow%E2%80%99n-go/

This is about like mine, except for color.
http://www.planomolding.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/1363-20.jpg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:58:34 PM by Steve Helmick »
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Dwayne

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 08:10:51 AM »
I have 3 that I use, the Hobico is what I use when I travel, the brown box is what I use when I go to the local park but need a starter and the cardboard box I use when I don't need a starter.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here