News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:43:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Challenges of Bringing Family Over to Canada  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Derek Shapka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Challenges of Bringing Family Over to Canada
« on: July 31, 2022, 11:56:37 PM »
After 3.5 months of battling the Canadian visa system we were able to help our relatives that were forced from their way of life in
Kiev. What shocked me the most about the system was that the Visa approval process was farmed out to a company outside of Canada.  Of the 4 family members, all who were coming to our house, 3 different durations were assigned and the passports were separated and sent to random places all over Europe to have the work visa's stamped/approved... Fortunately at the boarder, once we got to that point, customs was able to sort it all out. But to be fleeing bombs and living in shelters for 3 months while these nuances were sorted out were very un-palatable and infuriating..

Now we are dealing with post secondary to try and get the oldest daughter back into her program, she has two years of university completed with transcripts and registry is asking for grade school diploma documentation... yup that's the first thing you grab when there a war.

Was also surprised to see our PM not fill up his publicly funded plane with refugees on his return to Canada several times. 

Bit of a rant but we successfully have brought them over and they are doing well and adjusting as best they can.  I have a new appreciation for the challenges new emigrants face especially when they dont speak the local language (and this is an expedited process usually it takes years).  Our local MPs did step up and help advocate for us on their end to push it along but sheesh.

Anyone else have family in Ukraine?   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Challenges of Bringing Family Over to Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
Hard to imagine moving to a new country.  But, I'm glad you are getting it done.  Guess you will become citizens of Canada?  When I was working, I had a co-worker from Spain that was getting his US citizen ship.   The stuff he was having to learn especially about the US I didn't even know the answers.   Of course I was born in the good ole USA.  D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »
Hard to imagine moving to a new country.  But, I'm glad you are getting it done.  Guess you will become citizens of Canada?  When I was working, I had a co-worker from Spain that was getting his US citizen ship.   The stuff he was having to learn especially about the US I didn't even know the answers.   Of course I was born in the good ole USA.  D>K
It has changed, now all they need to know is what a Donkey looks like. LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Derek Shapka

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 06:37:59 PM »
 **) , that's the plan for the daughter's.  The sad reality is its going to be 10s of years to rebuild and they know its better and safer for them here to get their start at adulthood.  Their mom or my wife's aunt, it's a big adjustment and learning a language in your late 40s is a struggle, and there's not a lot of folks she can speak to in Ukrainian.  I imagine she will likley head back to the EU and find a spot with her Husband at some point.  If conscription is lifted we will sponcer to bring him over here as well on a work visa. 

I'm pretty fortunate my Ukrainian ancestors emigrated to Canada in the late 1890s. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:18:45 PM by Derek Shapka »

Tags:

Advertise Here