News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From Tom Dixon - Paint/Finishing Stands  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Jim Catevenis

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
From Tom Dixon - Paint/Finishing Stands
« on: December 17, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »

Bill Gray, like me, is not “computer savvy”.  However, Bill offers an excellent painting/building stand similar (but better) to the design previously sold by Byron Barker.

The stand is constructed of square steel tubing, and positions the model at about chest height for work.  The plane mounts to the stand via the engine mounts, and allows 360-degree rotation, but can be locked any fixed position.

Price is $100.00 plus shipping at true cost.

Contact Bill at:
         Bill Gray
         2349 Varnell Road
         Cleveland, TN  37311
         Phone (423) 715-7764   
JCAT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: From Tom Dixon - Paint/Finishing Stands
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:18:25 AM »
If something a little less formal will work for you, you could build the attached from some 1/2" pipe with 1/2" flange, a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 PVC Compression Tee fitting, some plywood strips and casters for under $30 (caster wheels are the most expensive part). The hold mount is 3/4" dowel with a 1/8" plywood plate that bolts to the engine mounts. Pretty simple, I also did a short version off my work bench that hold stuff to work on inside the shop.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
If something a little less formal will work for you, you could build the attached from some 1/2" pipe with 1/2" flange, a 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 PVC Compression Tee fitting, some plywood strips and casters for under $30 (caster wheels are the most expensive part). The hold mount is 3/4" dowel with a 1/8" plywood plate that bolts to the engine mounts. Pretty simple, I also did a short version off my work bench that hold stuff to work on inside the shop.

Best,   DennisT

Dennis,

Miss me at the field?

OR, You could simply use a slave engine and clamps. I painted all my models the same way. Clamped to a table.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:58:57 PM »

Bill Gray, like me, is not “computer savvy”.  However, Bill offers an excellent painting/building stand similar (but better) to the design previously sold by Byron Barker.

The stand is constructed of square steel tubing, and positions the model at about chest height for work.  The plane mounts to the stand via the engine mounts, and allows 360-degree rotation, but can be locked any fixed position.

Price is $100.00 plus shipping at true cost.

Jim, just a friendly suggestion.  You might want to put this in the classified section if you have not done so already.  If you leave it here, you are going to get a hundred alternative suggestions for a way to paint a model which is great for a general forum post but will distract from what you are trying to accomplish for Mr Gray.

I have one of the Byron Barker stands I bought from him years ago and they work beautifully and if this is similar to his, he should do well with them.

Mike

Contact Bill at:
         Bill Gray
         2349 Varnell Road
         Cleveland, TN  37311
         Phone (423) 715-7764

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
I agree with Mike....

Some things I build my self others I prefer to buy.... my money my time and I need not have folks implying I am stupid for buying a $65 stooge from RSM.... or any other acquisition....

jest sayin
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here