News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Setting up active V.6.x timer  (Read 4248 times)

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Setting up active V.6.x timer
« on: June 28, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
I got the latest active cltimer from OkieAir a week and a half ago, the day after I left for the Nats.
I also got a Spin 66 esc and the Jeti box programmer. I got the esc setup with the settings I found on cltimer.com. I also DLed the manual for the timer.
I’m installing this in my old SV11 arf so I can learn the system before committing a new build to it. I have the Brodak motor that was recommended and using a 4S 4000mah battery.
Most of the manual seems pretty straightforward but there is one setting that comes up on the programmer that isn’t mentioned, G force. It is currently set to off by default. Not sure about that one.
I’m also a bit ignorant of the small flat green plastic pieces. They apparently fit over the button and LED on the timer but no way mentioned as far as affixing them to the timer or the model. I’m guessing some type of glue but maybe I’m missing something!
As far as the accelerometer mounting goes, does the Y have to be dead on the C reference both upright and inverted or is there some tolerance there? I’m not sure I can set the plane perfectly level upright and inverted consistently.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Matt

Online AMV

• Commander
Re: Setting up active V.6.x timer
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »
I'd also like to know what the G-force setting does, since it is undocumented in the v6 manual.

- What does the "0.000G" reading in the upper right corner mean, and why does its value vary between flights?
- The letters "CAL" appear in the bottom right corner, but not always. What does it mean?
- The adjustment is from "OFF" up to 100% in 1% increments.  How does it affect the timer's behavior in flight?

Thanks, H^^
-Andrey
Spice is the variety of life.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 02:42:30 PM »
Maybe someone more learned than I can chime in but in a nutshell:  G-Force is a setting that compensates for gravity as the plane elevates in the hemisphere.  It is best to trim the plane as best you can with G-Force and Nose Up turned off then use them to supplement the trim.  If left on they can complicate the trim process because they are very powerful.  I have gradually turned G-Force up once I could feel what it was doing.  It will add a significant boost in three places in pattern - top loop of the V8, OH8 and top of the hourglass.

I left them turned off until I had the right RPM range set and accelerometer leveled.  Then I turned on Nose Up and set it high enough that I could definitely feel the difference, then I dialed it back to where I wanted it.  Same with G-Force.  It takes time to figure out the balance between the three and I am still not finished figuring it out.

Oh, if you do use G-Force make sure you do enough level laps at 5' for it to calibrate, I think it is 10.

Good chance Fred Underwood will chime in.  He knows the timer as well as anybody here.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 06:10:00 PM »
I’d love to have a good boost at the top of the hourglass but 9 days before official Nats flights isn’t the time to be experimenting!
I will say that love what these timers have done for the performance of my electric planes. With conventional timers they just weren’t working good enough to be competitive. The change to the Fiorotti timer made them better than my K-77 powered SV11.

Ken, do you have a good starting point for the GForce setting?

Thanks, Matt

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 06:45:55 PM »
The accelerations are additive, so G-force settings somewhat depend on other settings.

What plane (SV11?), line length, lap time, sensitivity and Max and min, and nose up.....

In general, try between 5 and 10 for G-force to start.  Some older timers have increments of 5 vs the newer ones with increments of 1 for G-force.
Fred

Offline Matt Brown

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 07:38:48 PM »
The accelerations are additive, so G-force settings somewhat depend on other settings.

What plane (SV11?), line length, lap time, sensitivity and Max and min, and nose up.....

In general, try between 5 and 10 for G-force to start.  Some older timers have increments of 5 vs the newer ones with increments of 1 for G-force.

SV11 arf on 65’ lines. Brodak 4250 motor. Castle Phoenix Edge 75 amp ESC.
9300rpm 5.5 second laps. 13-4.5 APC F2B prop.
Nose up   20ms
Sensitivity   10
RPM 094
Max  134
Min.  80

Matt

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 08:19:17 PM »
Try the g-force of 5 - 10.

Check email.
Fred

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 09:16:22 PM »
I’d love to have a good boost at the top of the hourglass but 9 days before official Nats flights isn’t the time to be experimenting!
I will say that love what these timers have done for the performance of my electric planes. With conventional timers they just weren’t working good enough to be competitive. The change to the Fiorotti timer made them better than my K-77 powered SV11.

Ken, do you have a good starting point for the GForce setting?

Thanks, Matt
Fred tutored me on this.  I started it out at 5 per his suggestion and I have gradually upped it to I think 11.  I would probably go to 15 in wind.  I am not done experimenting.  I will check my setting tomorrow or Wed.  My plane is not accessible at the moment.  You definitely DO NOT want to implement these before the Nats.  Nose up and to some degree G-force dramatically changes how you do rounds.  Keeping them round was not the problem, keeping them from walking into the nest circle was!  You have to adjust your control input to compensate for that extra boost as the nose comes up from the bottoms.  My first flight with nose up on walked the loops about 10'.  It took about 5 flights to figure it out. My advice when you do try them would be to increment them 1 or 2 settings per flight till things start to get erratic then stop and get used to it.  It is like having 5 needle valves.  G-Force doesn't do anything for the horizontal rounds but you can feel it on the Reverse Wingover big time. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here