News:

• March 19, 2024, 05:44:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Improved TUT  (Read 23165 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Improved TUT
« on: February 10, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
Hot off the -- something: the latest design for the "big" TUT.

Howard Rush probably has more to do with the features on the TUT than anyone.  If he hadn't asked last year I wouldn't have started cutting metal; if he didn't want a flight schedule that I thought at the time no sane person should wish for, it wouldn't be universal; if he hadn't immediately figured out a set of things he wanted to do that needed more than four input/output ports I wouldn't have a worm in the back of my head gnawing at me to expand it, and if he hadn't challenged me to take a second look, I wouldn't have ever figured out how to put a Micro SD card on it.

But, he did.  Here's a screen shot of the board layout.  Once I get the software done to take advantage of it, this one will have six I/O ports (the two additional ones will require special cabling to use), it'll record flights on an easy-to-use SD card, and as a plus for me, it'll be cheaper because I've figured out how to connect to the processor for factory programming without using an expensive connector, and it'll be easier to build because all the components but one are on the top side of the board.

Win win win, even if the thing was a pain in the behind to lay out.

I have no clue what the schedule will be to get more work done on this, so don't hold your breath.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: Improved TUT
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
I'm keeping my eye on this Tim.  Thanks for your work.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:58:21 PM »
"Tim's Improved Timers"? Something we would all appreciate...  S?P  LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »
I've been thinking of an inflight lead-out positioner. Is the new "Funky TUT" capable of pulling this off? It would be nice to have it synced with the self-contained, servo-driven, linear accelerometer that I've been thinking about for the rudder.

My spring-powered rudder(on my Sparker "Wildman 60") is all mechanical, being swing weight actuated to respond to yaw,  has proved to be problematic. Actually, my SWAG (SwingWeightActuatedGizmo) has worked best when disconnected so that the rudder just fairs to the airstream, which has me confused...

dg

Having made light of these new-fangled innovations, I then watched the TUT doing its thing on Fred Cronnenwet's B-29.

WOW!

The start sequence is really cool, but so is the shut-down sequence. In DC-6 aircraft at a former company where I was employed, we shut down three engines, left one running briefly to run the flaps down and back up a smidge to check the hydraulic pump on that engine, then shut it down. The B-29 may have been similar, I don't know, But, this video is a must-see.

dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here