Vendors Corner > Tim's Universal Timers

Mounting a motor speed sensor

<< < (2/2)

Tim Wescott:
Originally I was doing it so that I could record engine speed in flight, and see how it varied as I did maneuvers.

I've got someone who wants to use a TUT to time landing gear retraction and extension; we've decided that the normal sequence will be to extend the gear on a timer, but we want to sense the motor speed and extend the gear if the motor cuts prematurely.

Because the only thing more distressing than an electrical problem that leads to an early landing is an electrical problem that leads to a belly landing.

Ken Culbertson:

--- Quote from: Tim Wescott on December 09, 2019, 11:30:54 AM ---Originally I was doing it so that I could record engine speed in flight, and see how it varied as I did maneuvers.

I've got someone who wants to use a TUT to time landing gear retraction and extension; we've decided that the normal sequence will be to extend the gear on a timer, but we want to sense the motor speed and extend the gear if the motor cuts prematurely.

Because the only thing more distressing than an electrical problem that leads to an early landing is an electrical problem that leads to a belly landing.

--- End quote ---
Now it makes sense. Good idea. I would assume that you would want the gear to extend if the speed drops below some preset RPM for the occasional battery that goes wobbly on you but still keeps the motor running.
My only issue would be what good does extending the gear do me since mine always seem to quit when I am inverted. LL~

Ken

Tim Wescott:

--- Quote from: Ken Culbertson on December 09, 2019, 03:15:07 PM ---Now it makes sense. Good idea. I would assume that you would want the gear to extend if the speed drops below some preset RPM for the occasional battery that goes wobbly on you but still keeps the motor running.
My only issue would be what good does extending the gear do me since mine always seem to quit when I am inverted. LL~

Ken

--- End quote ---

In theory, with the larger TUT (which has more sensors) I could detect that, too, and extend the single-wheel gear that you thoughtfully built into your canopy.  You'd still need an itty bitty wheel, or a wire skid, on the tip of the fin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version