News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perhaps a column devoted to SAFETY ISSUES? "SAFETY IS NO LAUGHING MATTA-OUCH!"  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
How many times have we been out to the flyin site....and have taken notice of soooooooo many safety issues that U KNOW...THAT N' ACCIDENT IS JUST ABOUT TO HAPPEN.

Years ago (1981!) at Boeing....each week at a safety at an all managers meeting, I would make up a quickee' 4 hour airbrush illustration into a slide that would illustrate the bumbo-dumbo safety issue of that week.
The toon caught on but became a monthly cartoon strip that would illustrate what accidents had taken place.

Although we KNOW THAT SAFETY IS NO LAUGHING MATTER...at least this was one way to "DRAW" ATTENTION to poor work practices that some unfortunate soul...could end up taking a few extra hours, days or the rest of their lives away from the work place.

attached are a couple of old fading polariods that I found in my old 16 drawer Kennedy journeyman's tool box that I used during my "Flutter model daze days at the Wind Tunnel.

With that in mind...WHAT SAFETY ISSUES THAT MAY CONCERN YOU...N' SHARE YOUR US YOUR "OOPS!!! STORY OF THE DAY WITH THE REST OF US STUNT GRUNTS...here on STUNTHANGER?
(perhaps Sparky could pick one to be "Illustrated as the blunder-busted saftey boo-boo-hooo of the month?"
Don Shultz

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
I saw the action depicted in the 1st cartoon today at work.
One of the install Engineers from Japan was trying to loosen a 26mm jam nut on a leveling fixture, using a short handled adjustable wrench and leaning into it with all 101 lbs of his weight.
As I was telling him that I would get a longer wrench and he should not be pushing with all his weight - BANG! the nut breaks loose, he slams his hand into the fixture and almost cracks his noggin as he lurches forward. Luckily no injury, but I made all 3 of them stop work for a few minutes and discuss what happened.

Then I saw your post and thought- what would you guys see if you watched me prep and start a plane for flying? I have enough scars on my fingers to know that I am prone to forget about safe practices, and am never upset if someone takes the time to say- Hey- you might want to watch out there!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral

Then I saw your post and thought- what would you guys see if you watched me prep and start a plane for flying? I have enough scars on my fingers to know that I am prone to forget about safe practices, and am never upset if someone takes the time to say- Hey- you might want to watch out there!

Guess we've all done some pretty dumbolddo things...around the staging areas..
For example...
I saw a friend (Bob Parker) give the starting signal to the judges...
Gave that prop a beeeeeeeeeeuuuuutiful first flip start...(then he didn't like the needle setting, so he carefully reached over the front of that rippin'snarlin' engine....
gave it a careful small "tweak" but in the process...he NICKED HIS LITTLE PINKY FINGER AGAINST THE PROP.......THEN HIS REFLEXES TOOK OVER HIS BRAIN...[glow=red,2,300]KAAAAAPOWSKI!!![/glow] "FLINCH NOT..UNTO UDDERS!!!!!!!!!
I COULDN'T  BELIEVE MY EYES......AS BOB YANKED HIS HAND BACK THROUGH THAT SPINNING PROP!!!
YES!
As his lauch helper...I WAS COVERED WITH HIS BLOOD!!! ON MY NICE WHITE SWEATER, WHITE PANTS, AND WHITE BUCK SHOES!!!!!
Lucky for BOF US!!!!
...I had in my  back hip pocket...a nice white wiping rag...that I wrapped his FLIPPIN FLIPPIN BLOODY FINGERS.
Although he was through for the day...he managed to heal pretty quickly...although he did have a pretty difficult week or two.

How could that have been prevented??? Perhaps a flexible needle valve extension...but thinkin' back...I can remember seeing quite a few "flexible extention springs...that when released...would SOMETIMES...SPRING BACK INTO THE SPINNING PROP...(often with amazing flying projectals that would rival a 22 long rifle shot. SH^ %^
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:35:42 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
When I saw the comment about using common workshop sense in another post....I couldn't help but think of one of my old 2004  UNFINISHED BOEING SAFETY POSTERS...(that was suddenly put on hold...(due to a VERY SIMILAR workplace injury  that took place  in our Boeing workplace..that VERY SAME DAY  that I was in the PROCESS OF FINISHING THIS "SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT POSTER!
A young new hired facilities worker was grinding off a short piece of aluminum door trim on  our Phantom Works General managers new office door---WHEN SUDDENLY a small very sharp shard of metal...parted waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays...and hit one of the office employees in the back of the head. Although she bled profusely..and was taken to the Boeing Medical...she was not seriously injured.
However she was LIVID...AND WANTED THAT YOUNG MAN WITH THE GRINDING WHEEL.."HUNG UPSIDE DOWN" in that door way with a sign reading SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT hung around his neck.
That young offender was sooooooooooooooo fortunate that his Dad was a VP for New Airplane Development at the time... so thankfully he didn't lose his job, but was  quickly transferred to the Auburn. sheet metal shop. (for some reason...we heard that he was appointed Shop Safety coordinator a few months later...
The young lady in this UNFINISHED POSTER.....was the one that received that flying metal object!  
BOTTOM LINE!
YES! SAFTEY IS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ACCIDENT!" ~^
Don Shultz

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
I think safety is over-rated. Things happen, we talk about it, in many cases joke about it, and then move on.

While Don was not there, it was a couple years ago Mike Haverly literally inserted a digit directly into a spun-up three-blade CF prop--on loan from David!--being twisted by a PA 65 on pipe. Wow! It was really spectacular! A blade on the prop was broken! Chunks of Mike were seen flying!

Okay, those things were negatives. But Ted and Randi got to demonstrate much higher than average post-finger-insertion first aid skills, the doctor at the hospital was given justification for having been selected to Memorial Day duty, CL Stunt was shown to be a hazardous activity in which milquetoast types need not be involved.

And nobody puked. Not even Mike.

Best of all, Mike and about 30 people had and still have a great story to tell as they were right there in the immediate vicinity. Another 50 or 60 on the field heard all about it and so also benefitted in a measurable way.

Remember, nobody talks about almost getting a hand in the prop arc. Way too boring...

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
I always stand behind the plane to adjust the needle valve.  I don't like tempting fate.  And I always wear a glove when starting, so that if I get smacked I'll be able to find the pieces easily.

For about two years running, soon after I joined my RC club, our safety officer didn't go a month in the summer without some significant modeling-related injury or events: bloody or burnt fingers, crashed planes, flying his airplane through the rotor disk of a fellow club-member's helicopter, etc.  We kept explaining to him that he didn't have to practice his safety officerhood by giving object lessons, but he didn't listen.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Brother Donaldo,

A new forum about Safety could be a good idea, but who to write it?

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Too bad some people don't have more common sense.   Some of the stuff I seen at the past VSC, its a wonder more people were not hurt.   One individual should know better than to hold the Tach in front of the prop while straddling the inboard wing and adjusting the needle.  Happily I seen more safe practices. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
The late HERBERT FOY! MASTER MODELMAKER REMEMBERED!

Just received an invitation to all of us old retired modelgrunts from the BOEING WIND TUNNEL FACILITY in Seattle for  the annual WINDTUNNEL CHRISTMAS PARTY LUNCHEON.
While going through a box of old polariod photos looking for a certain requested wind tunnel worker....I couldn't help but think of a certain MASTER MODELMAKER  by the name of HERBERT FOY...who was  our lead  Safety Monitor who took his job EVER SO SERIOUSLY!

HIS KEENEST AND  MOST IMPORTANT SAFETY QUEST...WAS TO MAKE CERTAIN THAT EACH AND EVERYONE...INCLUDING VISITING  CEO.S... COMMERICAL AIRLINES PRESIDENTS... NO MATTER HOW LOFTY... EACH, ALL AND ANYONE WOULD NEVA-EVA'  DARE TO WALK INTO A SHOP AREA WITHOUT THE PROPER EYE PROTECTION.
Bottom line: Herb truly "GAVE A HOOT!" Just before I retired in 2004...WE HONORED HIS WORTHY NAME AND DEDICATED MONTHLY POSTERS THROUGHOUT THE PLANT 2 areas machine and model shops with one of my infamously safety posters...that were located at all the information stations.Although Herb has crossed over his memory to me and other fellow windtunnel members...I can pretty much safely say that each and every time I put on any safety glasses or goggles...MEMORIES OF HERB...ALWAYS BRING THIS SCRAPPY DEDICATED SAFTEY MONITOR TO MY GOGGLED MIND.

Herb always loved the upcoming holiday season...so this one is for that little dedicated genius modelmaker with the [b]ROSE COLORED SAFETY GLASSES.[/b]

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:04:36 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
How many paragraphs can be devoted to "Keep your fingers and hands out of the spinning pupeller (sic)!" , be careful with the stooge, and knives are sharp? Some people just can't figure that out? Doing this stuff in a rush, or when very tired, is a mistake!

I always hold my tach in front of the prop. Having a good tach that doesn't require you shove it right up next to the prop is a huge safety factor. One that you can lay on the ground 18" in front of the prop in grass or on asphalt and get a reading is good enough. If you have to hold your tach closer than 6" to the prop, get a better one!   y1 Steve   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Shouldn't the tach work just as well behind the prop?  Also who ever is turning the needle should be behind the prop also.   But, some of us never learn except by the hard way.   Do I count the scars on the thumb and fingers.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
The guy holding the plane is behind the plane, so no room for me back there, Doc. I start the engine from the front, tach the engine from the front and set the NV from the front. Last time I got bit was adjusting the PAW .19 on my D-Bat, maybe 8 years ago. Before that, a TD .049 on my Mini-Pearl in Kamloops BC about 1975 got me good. A week later, I was at the USFFC at Taft, and it was almost completely healed. Those are the only ones I remember. But I am careful where my hands go.

Frequently, the wound happens when repeatedly flicking the prop and the engine sputters, but the fingers go in for another flip. Bad idea! When I came back to CL, I was not keen on these glow ignitor things, and I'm still not, at least for inverted engines. There are definitely safer alternatives.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here