General control line discussion > The Suggestion Box

Memory Leak?

(1/1)

Tim Wescott:
Hey Sparky:  Do with this as you will.

For the past six months or more I've noticed that if I leave a web browser on for too long, my system performance slows to a crawl -- sometimes to the point where I have to do a hard reset.

I've been suspecting that it's one of the web sites that I typically leave on, and this morning I think I narrowed it down to Stunthanger.

Here's my whys and wherefores:

* Processor: AMD A8-6410
* Memory: 3408MiB system memory
* Browser: various, most information collected on Firefox, conclusive evidence collected on Chromium.
* I've taken to running 'top' (a Linux-nerd version of Task Manager), and I've been seeing excessive memory usage by just one web process -- but at that level it doesn't say which one
* What happens: over time, web browser gets slower and slower.  Closing and reopening the browser fixes things, if the system is still responsive enough.
* This morning I was able to catch it in a still-operating state, with one web process using around 2GB of memory.  Closing the stunthanger tab made that process go away
I also frequent the Hip Pocket Aeronautics site, which appears to use the same basic forum software as Stunthanger.  I'll let you know as soon as I do whether it seems to show the same problem.

I do not know if this is a problem in Windows or Mac, or if just leaving Stunthanger open on any machine I'm using is a typical use case.  So I don't know how many users are impacted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version