News:

• March 28, 2024, 11:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Memory Leak?  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Memory Leak?
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:40:26 PM »
Hey Sparky:  Do with this as you will.

For the past six months or more I've noticed that if I leave a web browser on for too long, my system performance slows to a crawl -- sometimes to the point where I have to do a hard reset.

I've been suspecting that it's one of the web sites that I typically leave on, and this morning I think I narrowed it down to Stunthanger.

Here's my whys and wherefores:

• Processor: AMD A8-6410
  • Memory: 3408MiB system memory
  • Browser: various, most information collected on Firefox, conclusive evidence collected on Chromium.
  • I've taken to running 'top' (a Linux-nerd version of Task Manager), and I've been seeing excessive memory usage by just one web process -- but at that level it doesn't say which one
  • What happens: over time, web browser gets slower and slower.  Closing and reopening the browser fixes things, if the system is still responsive enough.
  • This morning I was able to catch it in a still-operating state, with one web process using around 2GB of memory.  Closing the stunthanger tab made that process go away

I also frequent the Hip Pocket Aeronautics site, which appears to use the same basic forum software as Stunthanger.  I'll let you know as soon as I do whether it seems to show the same problem.

I do not know if this is a problem in Windows or Mac, or if just leaving Stunthanger open on any machine I'm using is a typical use case.  So I don't know how many users are impacted.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?
Tags:

Advertise Here