News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:23:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dictionary  (Read 8387 times)

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Dictionary
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
i love C/L and tried that hobby many years ago back in my country.
moved to US in 1985 but never got the chance to get in to this hobby untill recently. it took me a long time to find someone to help me and got my first ship and started flying it.
here is my problem, i am totaly new at this and for sure my elglish is not good.
how about putting a Dictionary  in here.
there are may stuff that i read but i dont understand it.
for example, it took me a while to understand that Venturi is = carborator.
i am stil trying to find out what is C/G mean.
there are so many words that i dont understand and i am even scared to ask it now so i dont look dumb.

thanks

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »
Questioning never makes one look dumb....NOT questioning does!  c/g (C/G) = Center of Gravity H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »
thanks for your respond.
so i guess that center gravity is important. and can you please explain to me what dose it do? especially that i want to buy the PT 19 arf but change the boddy on it. i still want to make it profile but i have seen this plane coiuple of time and the boddy looks too short to me and also i want to make it look better.
yes i know, for a starter is not a good idea but i am crazy and want to build and i think for my first project is the best to start with the boddy rather than the wing.

to answer your question.
i am in Los Angeles. moved from Israel.

and yes, there are many people around me that are whilling to help and they did a good job so far.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:31 PM »
I use http://dictionary.reference.com/ often. I just keep it open while I'm online. You can switch to thesaurus.com, translator, etc., from there. Very useful! I will admit that technical jargon is often a problem. Sometimes, Model Aviation magazine has a page of definitions for our common technical abbreviations. "MA" comes with your AMA membership, and I'd expect you would need membership/insurance if you are to fly at any of the public flying sites in LA, or join any Chartered Club in the area.

There is a "spell check" on this forum, but not many seem to use it. It is not able to correct many English words that sound the same*  but are actually spelled different and mean different things, so it's only moderately useful. *Examples: there, their, they're. "Lose" and "loose" are often used improperly here, and Spell Check won't help a lick, because they are correctly spelled, but used wrong.   

Best help I can give you is to get with a club in your area. "Knights of the Round Circle" and "Valley Circle Burners" are the only two I know of in LA.  Somebody will give you contact information, I'm sure. I'm a long way from there!
 H^^ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:01 PM »
Hello Steve and Mracucci ( i know a marcucci in Arezo italy are you related to him?).
thanks so much for the wonderfull info.
yes i did joined the VCB already and in fact Bill Barber is the person who helped me get started and he introuduced me to his friend that i bought the plane from. he and other peple from the club trained me to fly it. i flown it so far about 8 time and did my first wing over and loop. this is as far as i went so far.
the other club is 40 mile away from me which i hope to join that one also.
from whay i understood, i could fly it without the AMA but it is a good thing to have and i will join in the nexr few days.

about the CG. i am glad you telling me this so i will have to make sure that i start with nose heavy and not tail.
how would you fix it after that? i dont know. adding weight on the tail?
hmmm. i think you just answered to my other question. i was about to ask if triming refers to putting the Decals but i guess it means to do all the adjustment.

thanks again
perry

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 06:09:32 PM »
I see, thanks

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »
Perry, welcome to our great country and don't worry about your english.   Even tho I was born and raised here I still have trouble with English.  As you go from North to South and East to West you will see/hear the variences of our great language.  But, you are in an area where there should be a lot of control line modellers.    And as stated the only dumb question is the one that is not asked.  Don't ask me how I know.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:49:13 PM »
Hello Doc and thanks so much for your kind reply.
my sugestion was aimd more for Definitions of words that benn used rather than the actualy spelling problems.
anyway, i guess i will learn slowly all of those words once i get more into it.
again, many thanks for your kind reply.
Perry

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
    Perry , if you change the length of the fuselage [Body] on the PT-19 you will
be changing the center of gravity [C/G ] which will affect how it flies .
Show us at the field want you want to do before you change it !
     Perry has joined the Valley Circle Burners and already has helped out
at one of our functions . He is a fast learner and is very enthusiastic in learning
control line .
               Bill
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:14:20 PM by Bill Barber »
AMA 325076

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:17 PM »
From what I've read here about the Hanger 9 PT-19 C/L model it can come out tailheavy, and the fuselage is too flexible for good engine runs. This would tell me to scrap the stock fuselage and make a better one with a longer nose. You should be able to use the search function to find several threads on the subject of the PT-19, with plenty of advise. At least some of it will be good advise.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
Noticed that this month's (August 2011) Model Aviation has a "dictionary" of frequently used Model Aviation abbreviations and acronyms on P.116. It's not the first one, and I'm sure it won't be the last. You won't find "OMG", "ROFLMAO" or "IIRC" there, but you'll find "CA", "CD", "SIG", "CL", "LE", "TE" and "FAI", and that's not a bad start.  y1 Steve

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Thanks steve, i will look into it right away.

also about your commenton the PT19.
oh boy, i got the packae today and you are 100% correct. i dont know how this plane will hold in the air with such a flexibale fusalage. for sure i am movineg the engine one hole to the front (about 3/4 inch) but i dont know if i should take the time ro rebuils a new fuselage or not as i crashed my frist plane.

thaks anyway.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:00:05 AM »
Perry:

If the fuselage is too whippy and you don't mind making it a bit ugly, get some carbon fiber strips and epoxy them down the sides.  It won't do a lot to make it stiffer in torsion, but it'll sure stiffen it up from side to side.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline PERRY OHAL

• 2013 Supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »
carbon stripe? where do i get that?
i dont have the fuselage here with me now but from what i remember, there is not much room to pass a stripe from the front to the back in one line, unless it is a thin stripe or it will be in 2 or 3pc

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »
 Perry  , Smith Brothers Hobby shop carries carbon fibre strips  , ask Tony Naccarato about it . But before you do anything bring
the fuselage to the field Sunday . There we can decide the best way to stiffen the fuselage .
     Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2013, 06:32:39 PM »
After a yard dart crash that split the wing in half, I removed the dihederal and made a new fuselage. It turned out too heavy, but flew better than the original.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
...for sure i am movineg the engine one hole to the front (about 3/4 inch) but i dont know if i should take the time ro rebuils a new fuselage or not as i crashed my frist plane.

thaks anyway.
I would suggest finishing everything including installing the tank and then test mount the engine and propeller with rubber bands before deciding exactly where you want to drill the mounting holes. That way you can adjust the engine position and see where it balances best.
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here