News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beginners column  (Read 6406 times)

Offline david beazley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Beginners column
« on: December 09, 2007, 06:30:17 AM »
How about a beginners column?  Or maybe a "how to start" in C/L.  I have been flying RC for 25 yrs and other than an abortive attempt at a Cox P-40 in the early '60's I have no C/L experience.  One of the guys in my RC club brought out an old Ringmaster Jr and I was bit bad.  I have a Super Clown under construction and a Flitestreak ARF on order.  Other than Charlie in my club I am kind of short of info.  A beginners column or other such info would be of benifit to me and possibly others.  Anyway that's my $0.02.
It's only paranoia if they aren't really after you.
Analog man trapped in a digital world
AMA # 2817

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Beginners column
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
David,  as far as beginners we have all been there.  Just post a question and wait for the responses.  There are so many ways of doing things and getting started is not being afraid to ask questions.  Have fun and welcome to real control(RC).  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 08:59:48 PM »
You're invited to check the "Beginners and Retreads" page I put on my club's website. It provides info for getting started, but can't replace person/person tutoring. http://www.nwskyraiders.com/beginners.html

Personally, I think Stunthanger already has too many individual forums. It means we have to check out several, instead of one, which just seems counterproductive to me. OTOH, one more couldn't hurt!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »
nah,Steve all you have to do is hit the ""show unread posts since last visit"" link and it will save you all that checking, it will show you sorted out all the posts since the last time you visited, saves tons of time and is quite efficient.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:03 PM »
David, between Sep/Oct 1993, and Mar/Apr 2000 I wrote an article for the PAMPA Newsletter, "Stunt News" Entitiled "In the Beginning". It wouldn't hurt too much if you hunted down some of those articles. I attempted to write to the early beginner Ty, without insulting the more advanced...proof that I think I did a pretty good job of that was the day that this guy throws his arm around me at the team trials and tells me that mine, was the first article he read when he got his SN. That guy was Bob Gieseke.

Yes, I WAS flattered!

And it can be done.  #^

Ward-O
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 06:40:29 AM »
That guy was Bob Gieseke.

Yes, I WAS flattered!

And it can be done.  #^

Ward-O

Better than any trophy.

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 06:56:37 AM »
I agree with Ty,A beginners forum is not a bad idea. The greatest C/L flier that ever lived (fill in the name} at one time didn't know what a bellcrank or control horn was or how the lines attached to the plane. I am afraid that in a general forum we tend to assume that the person knows all of the things that some of us have known for years. What would come across as "talking down" to a person would not seem that way in a beginners forum. One of the few benefits of getting older is that it no longer bothers you to say, "I don't know, you will have to explain it to me".

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 08:48:14 AM »
A Beginner's Column *could* be added by Sparky, but we have sections to cover every aspect already.  Open for general questions, Engines for *engines* , etc.. 

Everyone should realize that they should not be shy and go ahead and ask!  I have yet to see any one chastised for asking ANY question on *any part* of the site.  A simple *I am a beginner* to start, and the answers will flow........

I don't know of a single pilot in CLPA who does not ask a question from time to time, just some more than others! (and of maybe a more complicated nature!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here