News:

• March 28, 2024, 02:39:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FAA Registration & Foreign Nationals & Tourists  (Read 19573 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
FAA Registration & Foreign Nationals & Tourists
« on: March 18, 2016, 07:35:58 AM »
I got a letter from Chris Cox asking about FAA registration & the NATs.  I wrote Tony Stillman @AMA with the question and his answer is below.  The short version is since we are CL no registration is required.  However if you are flying an event covered by the new Regs, (like Scale or Carrier using 2.4G control) then you ARE required to register per procedure shown below:

FIRST: this was my question to Tony Stillman:

Got a letter from a Canadian soon-to-be NATs entry, he was asking about FAA registration and how it applies to Canadians.  I told him that since we are flying CL we are not required to register (however the published rule is not clear on this point).  I also told him I would monitor & advise if anything changes.

So how is AMA dealing with the FAA registration issue with regard to the NATs and foreign entries?  Is it correct that CL does not have to register?

Tony Stillman's response follows:

Dennis:
Yes, you are correct, they do  not have to register.  For other RC foreign competitors that want to fly in the USA, they should do the following (from the AMA Governmental Relations website FAQ’s):

Q: I am an Affiliate Member, do not live in the US, or I am not a US Citizen. How do I register?

A:Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA’s online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a “recognition of ownership” document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

In the near future, the www.faa.gov/uas/registration website will begin allowing non-citizens and non-residents to register.

For now visiting pilots can only use a computer with a United States IP address. When arriving in the states, register using a US computer with a US IP address. If the site will not accept a foreign address, the FAA has advised us that the pilot can enter their club flying site or hotel as a temporary address. For assistance you can call 877 396 4636 or email FAAHotline@faa.gov.

Tony Stillman
Flying Site Assistance Coordinator/Competitions-Technical Director
Academy of Model Aeronautics
www.modelaircraft.org
800-435-9262 Ext. 230

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: FAA Registration & Foreign Nationals & Tourists
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:07:14 AM »
At this point in time, the AMA's policy on FAA registration and contest participation is summed up in this (from the AMA website FAQ):

Q: Should clubs, contest directors, or event leaders require all pilots be registered?
A: No, we are not asking our clubs or contest directors to police UAS Registration. That decision is up to each individual club and event leader.

So for now, at least, the attitude is that registration is between the individual flyer and the FAA.  I have seen a contest announcement for an RC Sailplane contest that DID specifically say that FAA registration would be REQUIRED.  Our club's policy will be that we don't care if you register or not, no matter what kind of event or equipment you may use.  That applies to our contests as well as sport flying. 
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:07:04 AM »
I also went looking for FAA registration info specifically with regards to NATS participation.  I was unable to find anything pertinent on the AMA website, so sent this email:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi ____:

I'm contacting you because I'm not sure who should get this question, but
perhaps you can redirect it if necessary.  I have poked around on the website in
both the FAA registration section, and the NATS news section, but couldn't find
an answer.

I am wondering if FAA registration numbers will be required or checked at the
Nats processing venues?  I did find mention of the AMA policy with regards to
club sites and events, but nothing NATS specific.  I fly control-line and will
be flying at the NATS, using an RC controlled throttle in some events.  Will my
FAA registration status be checked or questioned?  It doesn't appear to be an
Entry Form item, but I suppose that it could still be the asked for when models
are processed.

To clarify, I'm already registered with the FAA, and have stickers with my
numbers so that I can add them if necessary.  I am mainly asking the questions
that have been asked of me by other potential entrants who are NOT FAA
registered, and I would like to post the reply in some Control-line Forums, if
possible.

Thanks in advance, for any help you can provide in getting these questions
answered early.

Mike Anderson - AMA10086
mikeainia@windstream.net

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this reply:

Hi Mike,

While we are encouraging UAS registration to avoid criminal and civil penalties, we are not policing it.

We have advised our club officers and CDs to also not police UAS registration.  You will not be required to prove UAS registration during NATs.  The following link is to a video that opens by also discussing this topic confirming we are not policing UAS registration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmzoA4DR84

Good luck at NATs!

Chad

Chad Budreau
Academy of Model Aeronautics
Public Relations and Government Affairs
765.287.1256 x227
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:16:19 PM by Mike Anderson »
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 12:51:02 PM »
Thank you Mr. Adamisin
for clarifying this point!

I am going to copy your
post and carry it in my
flight box.

Cheers! - Keith Morgan
Keith Morgan

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »
To date I haven't heard of any foreign nationals that have successfully been able to register for one reason or another.  One thing not mentioned is they will not accept a credit card that is connected to a foreign address.

Another thing to keep in mind is that foreign nationals are not permitted to "register" an aircraft in the US.  Hence the term "recognition of ownership".  To that end they are entitled to get their $5 refunded (if they go to the trouble to ask for it back, otherwise the FAA considers it a donation)

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
I have read on another forum that the FAA has finally changed their web site to allow foreign nationals to register, but only from within the US using a US IP address.  Haven't tried it myself.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:16 PM »
The easy answer is to use Hillary Clinton's email account; anybody can do it!  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here