News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reactor (A Flying Wing)  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Reactor (A Flying Wing)
« on: July 14, 2022, 06:07:35 PM »
Greetings! I had a friend of mine ask if I could find the plans for or even a photo of a control line flying wing called the Reactor.  He said it was a design from the 1950's, had a span of about 35" and was 35 - 40 powered.  Also, he said he thought it was made by Guillows or some such.  I would appreciate any help in this quest.  Thanks!

Jim Carter

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Reactor (A Flying Wing)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 07:57:59 PM »
I don't have plans, but one of the friendly flyers near the swimming pool in Highland Park in St. Paul regularly showed up, Gene, I think... he usually flew his Flying Clown or a Reactor.  Very helpful guy, but he wouldn't coddle anyone.  If you showed up with a plane he was always willing to help.

He inspired me to build a Reactor.  These days its a good sport plane.

Phil C

One thing to keep in mind.  The "Reactor" wing usually had a straight trailing edge, a substantial LE sweep, and an UPRIGHT engine mounted ahead of the wing.  The result is usually a tricky plane to fly.  The plane flies with a built in roll.  Depending on how a light gust hits it the breeze can trigger stalls, snap rolls, dropping out of the sky.  The pilot just has to practice and prepare.

Flying Models published a model showing a modification that got rid o f most of the problems.  The engine was mounted on a "fuselage", mounted on the centerline with the motor pointed 90deg. to the leading edge in the right wing.  The motor was cowled in with the fuel tank mounted to the "fuselage"behind the motor.
The design changes took care with just about all the flight problems.

I'll dig around and see if I can find the old issue.Maybe Bob Mears will beat me to it!

Phil Cartier

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 02:54:06 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 10:55:23 AM »
Check the Combat section. Bobby Mears has a PDF you can get for free. Look for his name and the subject "plans".

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
Check the Combat section. Bobby Mears has a PDF you can get for free. Look for his name and the subject "plans".
Thanks!  WILCO!!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:37 AM »
 Reactor is a lot larger than 35” wing ,more like 48 with 500 sq” of wing area.  I do have pictiues of one I gave away 5 years ago. It has huge rudder.  35” span would more than likely be a HalfFast.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 03:49:21 PM »
Reactor is a lot larger than 35” wing ,more like 48 with 500 sq” of wing area.  I do have pictiues of one I gave away 5 years ago. It has huge rudder.  35” span would more than likely be a HalfFast.
Ed
Hi, Thanks for the reply.  I searched the files, thanks to Bill, and I was able to find a few pictures that my friend confirmed that that was what he was looking for.  Today, he authorized me to order a set of plans for him from Bob Mears.

Jim

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 06:52:29 PM »
I found 2 Reactors in the basement rack.  I bought one at a show.  It is big:  47in. span. 9.8 in. left tip,   8.8in. right tip.  An upright  Fox 36X engine.  I haven't flown it.

The other one is a kit(I forget whose, but it is old)  Right wing tip-8.75   Left Wing tip- 8.75 in. 43in.  span. The Johnson 36 combat mounted on the right side of the cowl pulls it fine.   9/6 prop on either.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 07:30:56 AM »
Hi Phil!  Sounds like you're ready for a bit of "Ol' Skool" fun  ;D!  My buddy Larry did get his built and has flown it very successfully a number of times.

Jim

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 02:59:28 PM »
Hi Phil!  Sounds like you're ready for a bit of "Ol' Skool" fun  ;D!  My buddy Larry did get his built and has flown it very successfully a number of times.

Jim
  For me "old school" is the plane I built last month!  Always, when I build a new plane the 1st thing I do is wring it out with a test flight to make sure it won't attack me.

Phil Cartier

Phil C.
phil Cartier

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 01:06:15 PM »
  For me "old school" is the plane I built last month!  Always, when I build a new plane the 1st thing I do is wring it out with a test flight to make sure it won't attack me.

Phil Cartier

Phil C.
;D LL~ LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here