News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: wing thickness?  (Read 16355 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: wing thickness?
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »
Looks like the administrator is being too lax.  Some people just know what button to push.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2009, 10:47:30 AM »
Guys, what's with this acrimony?

Brad made a mistake with his weight comment.

A perfectly good teaching momment was presented that could have educated a lot of potential designer-builders about how to go to thicker wing structures without a large weight gain, as well as going into the added strength issues that could be realised. The thread could also have gone into the desirablilty, use of, and options between thin and thick airfoils.

I know that the above has been discussed before on these forums, but It seems that about every two or three years, the subjects get re-run as new members are added to the forums

"Can't we all just get along?"

I know it's sometimes hard to keep onself civil, when the buttons are pushed. I've had to wait a while, or apoligise for resposes made in haste.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »
When a guy whose aeronautical knowledge is magazine-article deep continually claims technical superiority over the rest of us because we "don't understand"  the concept of the gyroscopic effect on a propeller being a function of it's distance from the airplane's cg, the stupidity of full-span flaps because of their excessive wing tip "vortexes", or the special aerodynamics of weather vanes and lawn darts not taught in school, it's pretty hard to keep from picking on him.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2009, 12:50:23 PM »
Brad made a mistake with his weight comment.

A perfectly good teaching momment was presented that could have educated a lot of potential designer-builders about how to go to thicker wing structures without a large weight gain,

No, I did not make a mistake.  You just agreed with my original assertion.

All things being equal a fatter airfoiled wing has more surface area, and if all the structure and sheeted areas are the same it will be heavier than a wing with a thinner airfoil.  That is a plain and simple fact, comparing apples to apples.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
When a guy whose aeronautical knowledge is magazine-article deep continually claims technical superiority over the rest of us

BS.  Those are the low self esteem voices in your head, Howard.  I never claimed any such thing.  I just don't agree with everything you and your substantial group of self proclaimed "definers of the everything stunt that is right" say.

By not agreeing with you (in any case) it means that means I am "claiming superiority" over you.

In fact, I have never claimed to be a member of the SACRED BRAIN trust that you, Buck, and all the other aerodynamic supra geniuses belong too.  I have gone out of my way in my articles to say that I make no claim whatsoever to being an aerodynamic engineer. 

Now go find ManBearPig...  I am cereal.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2009, 01:41:08 PM »
No, I did not make a mistake.  You just agreed with my original assertion.

All things being equal a fatter airfoiled wing has more surface area, and if all the structure and sheeted areas are the same it will be heavier than a wing with a thinner airfoil.  That is a plain and simple fact, comparing apples to apples.

That's one of the main problems with forums. Not being extreemly clear on your meaniing.

The mistake I'm refering to is not so much that you were wrong in your assertion, rather in your blanket statement regarding weight increase due to more balsa. As I'm sure you are aware, careful design practises can create a thicker wing, of the same area, with minimal increase in weight. Look at Gordy's Tony, over 700 sq inches area, and a thick wing, yet it is very close, in weight, to a thinner wing of the same area.

Without making some design decisions, to save weight, a thicker wing can gain weight. But, with the added strenght available due to the thicker structure, the parts can be made a little lighter, and still have adequaqte strength where needed.

So, the mistake was not that what you said was totally wrong, rather as a blanket statement, IMHO, needed clarification, and thus the fact that with my next statement, we agree.  H^^

Alan Hahn

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
I think Sparky should create a new forum, called the "EGO parking lot", and that it should be the first place we all go.

You know what it is for.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:07 PM »
That's one of the main problems with forums. Not being extreemly clear on your meaniing.

The mistake I'm refering to is not so much that you were wrong in your assertion, rather in your blanket statement regarding weight increase due to more balsa. As I'm sure you are aware, careful design practises can create a thicker wing, of the same area, with minimal increase in weight. Look at Gordy's Tony, over 700 sq inches area, and a thick wing, yet it is very close, in weight, to a thinner wing of the same area.

Sure.  There is no argument whatsoever that some people build lighter than others, but surface area is surface area, and the growth of surface area is not linear to the scale of the plane.  All things being equal, a thicker winged plane IS HARDER to builder as light as a thinner winged plane.

PS:  I did not realize the tremendous scrutiny I was under at the time, I suppose.  I did not realize we would be tested later... n1
-George Bernard Shaw

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2009, 05:35:54 PM »
What's missing is how beams work.  The max stress in beams, as I recall, is proportional to the moment of inertia of the cross section, so, for a given strength, the thicker the wing, the lighter.  Similarly, for a given torsional stiffness, the thicker the wing, the lighter.  Brett's story was about how he was able to exploit these properties when better engines reduced the drag penalty for thickness.   Indeed there's stuff like paint that is proportional to surface area.  You could trade these and see how they come out.  By my ciphering-- and you guys can check--, an NACA 0018 has 0.094% more surface area than an NACA 0015, and the square of thickness ratio is 1.44.  So the weight that's in an 0018 wing for bending strength would be 69% as heavy as for an 0015 wing, and the stuff that's proportional to surface area in an 0018 wing would be .094% heavier than that of a 0015.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »
Whats missing here is some hard data, not just the math.  Randy, where are you?  I know you have weight data for sheeted wings of all your stuff, 'cause you told me how much overweight the wing panels were on my Dreadnought when I asked you how much they should weigh. :D  You could tell us how much more a larger SV type wing weighs vs a smaller one.
Steve

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2009, 06:03:55 PM »
I miscalculated on my last Impact and used the sheeted airfoil as the template for the unsheeted root rib, so the root was .15" thicker than that of the previous Impact.  The new dog weighs 63 oz., and the old dog weighed 66 oz.  There you have it.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2009, 03:28:03 AM »
Brad, I apologize for being mean to you.  People asked why I was being a jerk, and I just blurted it out, more to explain it to myself, than to others, I think, because I don't understand why you get me so upset.  You are a proud papa and you get a little enthusiastic about promoting your product, as salesmen will, but It doesn't make sense for me to be so offended by your incredible technical statements.  Looking back at them, I do think you characterized me as being a bit thick about understanding the gyro thing, but you didn't come out and say I was stupid for using full-span flaps, as I remembered.  Maybe I was offended because I thought you were belittling my professional ability, or even my profession, but it was probably just my ego, as Alan said.  It was wrong for me to have said what I did.  I might still challenge you to prove your more outrageous statements, but I'll try to maintain some humor.  Please try to contain the bluster, though. I'd rather think of you as the guy who fixed Jimby's fuel tank problem at the Nats than as the guy who made fun of me when I tried to answer his question on flap efficiency.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »
Now listen up all science people...

Stop using the word *proved*.

Little if ANYTHING in stunt has been *PROVEN* as there has been very little (if any) *real* SCIENTIFIC METHOD applied to the application.  There are rare examples of real science, and little if any *real* modern aerodynamic testing or data collection has taken place to date when it comes to our stunt models that fly about 55 MPH held by a string in cross winds that can reach nearly half that of the forward air speed.  Even in the case of wind tunnel testing I REALLY DOUBT the conditions and speeds that we fly at have been tested by Boeing, NASA, Lockheed, etc.

When it comes to stunt airplane designs, there are "theories", "observations", "opinions" (both informed and uniformed), consensus (be it large or small), a whole crapload lot of conjecture, and finally a huge dose of political posturing from the brass collectors to mix it all up (you know...so and so's design is "the best" because he won XXX number of contests with it----never mind he mind have superior hand eye coordination and simply be a superior pilot or a frothing at the mouth completely obsessed type A perfectionist winaholic).

Aside from the extremely few times that someone actually made apparatus, collected data, or performed calculations or simulations (as in the case of Frank Williams experiments, Line 2, and now the ESC feedback in flight load data from electric) very little data has been collected, or analysis performed to conduct real SCIENCE.  No real conclusive *PROOF* of superiority is evident in any of the stunt designs that are in use today.

To mock the simple methods of observation used typically be just about everyone in this sport with pseudo scientific claims of "consensus" claimed as "absolute proof" is an insult to every stunt flier that does not have a formal education, and relies on simple observation, simple experimentation, sweat, and open mindedness to try new things to achieve better performance.  

All this "show me your data" stuff is just elitist bull.  Nobody has data.  If I say full span flaps cause drag...  it is because that is what I saw in the models that I built.  It is not my responsibility to "prove" that I am right, maybe you should PROVE that I am wrong!!!  You can't!!!  You can give your "opinion", and throw out your pedigree but I doubt you have the facilities or willingness to do any real testing to show one way or the other (and frankly, I don't care what flaps you use---go with God my son...).

To throw the word "proven" around simply shows how little science is actually being discussed.  REAL scientists take this word *proven* very seriously...  

What you have here people is consensus science (Al Gore), not proof, and usually the consensus groups are very small.  Try to get a consensus among the world's stunt fliers on anything!!!  I dare you!!!

Finally, I tell you what, I will show my doctoral thesis on stunt design when you show me yours.  Even if you had one, it would just be one....waiting to be disproved by the next.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »
Now THERE'S a good idea! A doctoral thesis on stunt design!  8)

Heck, I would settle for a master's thesis on stunt design..

(Well, I take that back, I've read some thesi (sp?) that were pure crap..)

L.

"Keep a stiff upper chin." -Samuel Goldwyn
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2009, 02:47:20 PM »
I don't think I'd settle for less than a "Triple Dog" dare, but I'd concur anyway on the unlikelihood of any sort of universal agreement.

>Even in the case of wind tunnel testing I REALLY DOUBT the conditions and speeds that
>we fly at have been tested by Boeing, NASA, Lockheed, etc.

Here I'll disagree some. While I don't think that exact conditions or any sort of comprehensive set of conditions for hemispherical flight can be duplicated and definitively handled, useful data for stunt-model design has been found and presented. I think the NACA researchers of the past have been underrated, along with current NASA folks too. In particular, on this thread is evidence that NACA did try to duplicate our conditions in a limited but very useful way. If there is a problem in disemination of information, it may well lie at least as much in reluctance to examine what is presented as in a shortage of research. Data on page one of this thread is an example. It answers the original query and then some, but has just sat there relatively unheeded, while people continued to discuss the topic.

There were some fine minds conscientiously working on problems we have, and while their data may be modest, it is also good. So I'll just say for this thread that NACA TR 586 ('Airfoil Section Characteristics as Affected by Variations of the Reynolds Number') and NACA TN 364 (deals with scale (RN) and turbulence affects on the actual NACA sections found in a large number of stunt models today) are relevant, although TN 364 was probably done before the full effects of tunnel wall interference were known. Even then, these guys tried their best to solve that problem and presented revised data later. Having read through a lot of this NACA/NASA literature, I have high respect for the people who researched and wrote it. One has to look for the material, but I have found it to explain a lot about the evolution of stunt and why certain things work the way they do so many years after the research was done. Newton's Laws need to be understood too.

"Pseudo science" is not what is practiced by serious science and engineering types; it is jargon thrown around by people who don't know the basics. The tools and language of science help handle complex ideas. They do not create the ideas, but rather make progress possible. Fortunately, we can enjoy this hobby with a pretty good margin of success, without much scientific background. Knowing real causes and dynamics helps make things right at the top end. I only see a problem with the spreading of misinformation, some of which is not even a matter of opinion; I lost count long ago of the mistaken attributions of causes to effects. The problem here, as elsewhere, though is intolerance.

So, before anyone gets paranoid about anything further here, this has not been aimed at any particular individual, even though it began with a response to Brad's quote. My "rules of engagement" from some years ago on the "other" forum included the caveat that whenever a disagreement includes  any statement about another party involved, there is a liklihood of unnecessary damage being done. I think we should lighten up a bit. There is really nothing wrong with kindness, regardless of how ridiculous you feel another person's behavior. Well, that's my "opinion" anyway. FWIW.

SK

Online John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
Serge, good to see you back. Have you had time to compare NA63A and E-169?  I've been waiting to see your findings. %^@

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »
There's lots of pertinent science extant.  It merely takes some effort.  Much of it is now available free on the Web, so it's easier than ever to acquire.  Serge's mention of page 1 of this report is a good example.  When I was in high school, my family moved to a town in Indiana where there wasn't much to do.  I was into combat, and I figured that if I could get a killer airfoil, I could do me some winning.  My reasoning was that good airfoils and bad airfoils weighed the same and took about the same effort to build, so a good airfoil would be "free".  There was a good library in town (Serge knows it well), so I went there and looked up aerodynamics.  That led me to the stacks in the back room where they kept the old NACA reports.  I found the airfoil plot from NACA TR 586, which Serge posted here on page 1.  That, plus one other NACA paper gave me the killer airfoil.  Without anything I learned in college, that airfoil gave me, a mediocre flier, the advantage I needed to win the Nats and make the US team twice. 

As for control line airplanes in wind, we discussed that on SSW.  I added a little to the explanation of flying in sideslip last night, including my guess at how Brad thinks of the effect of wind on stunt planes.  All you need (except for a couple of definitions) is in NACA Report 1098, http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1952/naca-report-1098.pdf .  The ironic thing is that, rather than claim that science cannot explain the forces on a stunt plane flying in wind, a guy with no formal training could spend a couple of hours looking at that report and have a better understanding of the forces on a stunt plane flying in wind than 80% of aeronautical engineers.     
The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
"All this "show me your data" stuff is just elitist bull.  Nobody has data."

There are the NACA report examples above. Here's another example just above.  Folks were discussing wing weight.  I wondered how wing surface area varied with thickness, so I calculated it.  With Excel, it took me 15 minutes, using no elitest math.  The answer I got was that it's a trivial amount.  In fact, I hardly believed how little it is.  I figured that somebody, particularly somebody who asserts that fatter wings are heavier, would spend a few minutes of his own doing a calculation to refute mine.  Nope, too much work. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2009, 08:02:44 AM »
"All this "show me your data" stuff is just elitist bull.  Nobody has data."

There are the NACA report examples above. Here's another example just above.  Folks were discussing wing weight.  I wondered how wing surface area varied with thickness, so I calculated it.  With Excel, it took me 15 minutes, using no elitest math.  The answer I got was that it's a trivial amount.  In fact, I hardly believed how little it is.  I figured that somebody, particularly somebody who asserts that fatter wings are heavier, would spend a few minutes of his own doing a calculation to refute mine.  Nope, too much work. 

Did you just "prove" what I said?  I think so... thanks.

You said the answer was trivial in the case of the surface area...comparing what two airfoils?  A Strega and a Smoothie?  Did you count the added finish weight which also a function of surface area?  Fully sheeted?  Partially sheeted?

Of course, surface area is only one consideration in the discussion.  Yes, indeed one can *compensate* in the construction of fat winged models so that the weights are comparable to thinner winged models, but it inherently obvious that a larger structure, all things being equal, will weigh more than a smaller structure.  Heck the music wire that suspends the bell crank is longer on a fatter wing...  there is one weight gain right there.

Then their are the other compensations that must be made in the model to accommodate a big fat airfoil.  Typically, the fuselage has to be taller to accommodate the fatter wing (this is doubly true in the case of requiring clearance for a tuned pipe--which when I believe all that *beneficial side area* came into vogue).

If you feel these are all acceptable weight gains, then fine.  It does not change the facts that in every apples to apples comparison larger=heavier.

I cannot even believe this is even up for debate.

PS:  My "elitist" comment was made in regards to the attitude that there are some who feel their logic is just a little bit better than everyone else's logic.  I have no problem with using science as much as possible. 
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
John-

I do plan to do that comparison, but I'm just finishing a little personal investigation into elliptical wings that I started on SSWF. I've done all the derivations, but am trying to put them into a nice reference document using Microsoft Word's equation editor. Like the word processor itself, this is a great tool with one big disadvantage: it is extremely labor intensive for heavily formatted documents. IOW, I'm taking a long time to do something that can be done quickly with a pencil. This and some violin work are holding me up a bit, and I want to post the final results, when I'm done. I'm intrigued by what XFOIL might think about the airfoil comparison - with flaps - too, and I'd like to include my elliptical-leading edge/NACA aft section in the comparison.  It'll be a while, but I'll post the results - probably here - unless I can get in under the SSWF's 50-Kb limit with reasonable resolution.

>"but it inherently obvious that a larger structure, all things being equal, will weigh more than a smaller structure."

The problem is that all things are not equal. There is a wealth of material out there about thicker wings allowing lighter structure to accomodate equal loads. Now in deference to the scaling back of standard-sized modeling materials, this is compromized, but the structural design of wings can be tailored to these advantages. Among the 6000+ items listed in a bibliography I compiled of material on tailless and related aircraft, there are numerous weight analyses for full-sized aircraft having wings using airfoils comparable to our thickest stunt airfoils. This was necessary in the case of "flying-wing" aircraft, even at very high RN's, to accomodate aircraft loads carried within the wings themselves. This continues to be an important consideration in design for range and energy consumption. I believe Howard's analysis already takes into account any finishing weight.

Certainly fuselage weight is relevant, but I believe that it has been argued and demonstrated effectively that the lightest weight is not necessarily the best weight, just as high aspect ratio, with all its advantages in lift and induced drag reduction, has its limits in CLPA. Wing plan form also affects how heavy the structure needs to be, and this too is a more mathematically perceived separate topic.

SK
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:23:59 AM by Serge_Krauss »

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2009, 09:04:10 AM »
There is a wealth of material out there about thicker wings allowing lighter structure to accomodate equal loads.

I never said otherwise. 

Of course, what "loads" are required?

In the case of the foam wing, very little cane be done to reduce the weight of the wing.  Most foam cores are cored to the same thickness, and the sheeting is the same.  I would not hazard a guess at how strong a foam wing really is compared to in flight loads that are actually required.  Probably serious over kill.

I never said that thicker wings cannot be built light.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2009, 09:27:01 AM »
Brad-

I was editing my last post as you responded. It is worded slightly differently.

SK

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »
Assuming that it applies to model airplanes, one could calculate the incremental weight of that bellcrank axle.  Steel is about .283 lb./cubic inch.  For a 12" chord, the difference between the 15% and the 18% wing, assuming the bellcrank axle is at the max thickness, is .03 * 12  inches * Pi * .0625^2 sq. inches * .283 lb./cubic inch. * 454 gm. / lb. = .57 gram.  You might want to go to a thicker axle because of the increased stress, but the lighter, thicker wing might let you get away with a thinner one.  Which would it be?

The .094% increase in weight for the surface of the 18%-thick wing relative to the 15% wing still looks suspicious to me, but I'm safe, because nobody will ever check it.

Ironically, my structures advisor is flabbergasted that I don't weigh every component of my airplane as I'm building it.  Heck, it weighs what it weighs.  The last one came out OK.  I did break down and weigh before and after the fancy clearcoat to see if the plane could tolerate another toot of it.

The Jive Combat Team

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
"Did you just "prove" what I said?  I think so... thanks."

You missed the nontrivial beam part. 

"I cannot even believe this is even up for debate."

How'd that statement hold up in your strength of materials class?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2009, 12:20:23 PM »
Geez, I just finally tossed my ancient CE233 "Strength and Materials" text.. And to think, there was a probably a wealth of good information pertinent to model airplane structure in there!

I kept my Statics and Dynamics texts (also ~40 years old), however, just in case I had to discuss distributed loads on a beam or design a bridge or something. I remember those (sophomore ME) classes, they were easy and fun.

(I also tossed my Thermo book - I hated that class, and despised steam tables or anything related to them. Only the Carnot Cycle seems to have any lasting value to me..)

((Yes, most of that NACA material is approaching 60 years old, but that doesn't mean it has no value..))

Steer me to a thesis on CL Stunt airfoil design.

L.

"My experience is that as soon as people are old enough to know better, they don't
know anything at all." -Oscar Wilde

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
>((Yes, most of that NACA material is approaching 60 years old, but that doesn't mean it has no value..))

Ah, old air too? Sometimes I think our (sometimes) wry humor bemuses even ourselves!

A bit of whimsy suggested by Larry's observation... I remember reading in John Paulos' book, Innumeracy - Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences , his simplified computation of the probability that one is presently inhaling an air molecule exhaled by Julius Caesar with his dying breath. His conclusion, based on thorough mixing of all air molecules over the intervening millenia, was that the probability exceeded 99%.

...So a couple of these molecules, long ago expelled from the Langley wind tunnel, meet up somewhere over Muncie some summer, and one says to the other, "Oh-oh, here we go again! 'another of those d**ned NACA 0018's headed this way - all painted up and shiny, with strings attached!"

Hmmmmf. 'just a ...thought.

SK

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
""...So a couple of these molecules, long ago expelled from the Langley wind tunnel, meet up somewhere over Muncie some summer, and one says to the other, "Oh-oh, here we go again! 'another of those d**ned NACA 0018's headed this way - all painted up and shiny, with strings attached!"
"

Hmm  I think I like that !!   y1

Randy

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
Just an additional note to Howard's posted URL's:

The index on Martin Hepperle's site includes control-line topics not otherwise listed, including a derivation for approximate wing asymmetry due to air-speed variance across the span, as well as prop moments of inertia and gyroscopic precession, among various interesting technical topics. I think all his low-RN airfoils are for soaring, FW's, and racing though.

SK

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »
Is there a formula for calculating the total surface area of a wing in there somewhere? I was looking over on Nasa.gov today and didn't find anything...
Steve

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
Is there a formula for calculating the total surface area of a wing in there somewhere? I was looking over on Nasa.gov today and didn't find anything...

Steve-

I haven't looked for one, but I think you'd come close enough if you just measured along the outline of your preferred wing section with a flexible rule or marked strip of paper, took the ratio of that measurement to the chord, and multiplied it by the computed wing area.

Otherwise, I think it would be kind of a complicated calculus problem or perhaps something for a CAD program to do, since wing sections differ and have lengthy mathematical definitions. Whatever you might find would be limited to specific sections or "How-to's". Maybe there's a formularized approximation, but there really can't be a generalized exact formula.

SK

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2009, 10:33:05 AM »
What I did was to take the NACA formula, calculate the ordinate for a thousand points with Excel, then add up the straight line distances between each of the points.  Pretty crude.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »
What I did was to take the NACA formula, calculate the ordinate for a thousand points with Excel, then add up the straight line distances between each of the points.  Pretty crude.

Pretty neat! Sort of the poor man's integration again.

SK

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
Pretty neat! Sort of the poor man's integration again.

SK

Howard, I normally use my ancient Stuntrib program to calculate a NACA00nn airfoil (you can
specify a zero height TE to be "pure"), and open the DXF file it produces in AutoCAD. AutoCAD
and most CAD programs will report the length of a polyline instantly. You can use the root
and tip airfoil surface lengths and wing panel length and get a surface area calculation of a trapezoid
very easily.

Also, the CAD programs will report a cross sectional area of a closed airfoil shape very accurately,
and a similar approach can calculate volume of a wing panel.

More able 3D software will do more serious analysis, finite elements, of course, if you have access to
it and can do the effort to get your model data entered accurately. If you're going to do the wings, you
might as well do the entire model, and all component parts, and have it find centers of mass, moments
of inertia, and other data that will need analyzed! ;->

Of course, if you're simply handy with a spreadsheet, you can get it all pretty easily, as you have.

L.

PS - thx kindly for the links..

"One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the believe that one's
work is terribly important." -Bertrand Rusell (1872-1970) English mathematician and
philosopher

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
AAAGGGGHHHH.....

Don't even ask me why but....My favorite airfoil is 20-21% with about 1/2 to 5/8" leading edge radius.

It just seems to me that the overall performance is good enough in all conditions.  Kinda like what Dave
Fitz was looking for.........out!

Jim Pollock

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »
including a derivation for approximate wing asymmetry due to air-speed variance across the span, a

A long time ago, I was curious and did that calculation for a 48" span, .6 taper ratio combat plane.  It turned out that for that particular planform, the lateral center of lift was .625 inches outboard of the geometric center line,  So, being a combat pilot, I just took the easy way out and wacked off 5/8" inch from the outboard wing HB~>  However, It would probably be a good idea to take a more exact approach for a stunt plane due to the more critical nature of their flying qualities.  Or you could just adjust things with weight so that the lateral position of the c.g. is at the same butt line as the lateral position of the a.c.  That's easier.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
Stunt guys have ballast boxes at the right wingtip.  They pick an asymmetry, add a bunch of ballast, then remove ballast until it comes out right.

Did you notice the Son of Snort wings?  They're a result of that kind of calculation.  The left tip chord is 3/4" more than the right tip chord.  That and the 2-degree skew in the leading edge kinda cause vertigo when you look at it.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:22 AM »
To all:

I would be more than happy to do Xfoil runs on your favorite stunt airfoil.  Since I don't fly stunt, you are in no danger of my "giving away your secret weapon".  I can do them with or without plain flaps and at the appropriate Reynolds number and ambient free-stream turbulence.  All I would need is a non-dimensional list of coordinates, OR a CAD drawing that I can import and then non-dimensionalize.  If you want it done with deflected flaps, I need to know how big the flap is and how much you deflect it (in degrees).  I can make "pretty pictures" comparing the results of various sections and post them here. (or not if you don't want the results posted)

This is what the results might look like.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:18:58 AM by Gary James »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2009, 01:37:09 AM »
That is a generous offer, up upon which I have taken Gary.  I asked him to run a plethora of flap positions.  Although I have a history of abusing Gary's generosity, I didn't want him to spend a lot of time at work with his laptop screen up in front of him, so I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that calculates upper and lower surfaces as a function of flap deflection.  If that format works for Gary, I can send the Excel file as a template to anybody wanting Gary to analyze his airfoil.  I'll also explain the laptop joke and include a Reynolds number calculator.    
The Jive Combat Team

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:45 AM »
Just my opinion, based upon my experience with trying to come up with the perfect airfoil, but you can get to blunt and to thick at the high point. With the improvements in power train over the last 15 years or so, what worked well on a conventionally powered 4-2-4 type run may create to much lift and have more blanketing effect on the tail with a piped ship, creates an over rotation/ dragging of the tail after a hard corner. D>K

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: December 17, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
You sound like Ted Fancher.  What is "too much lift"? 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2009, 01:56:46 PM »
Whats missing here is some hard data, not just the math.  Randy, where are you?  I know you have weight data for sheeted wings of all your stuff, 'cause you told me how much overweight the wing panels were on my Dreadnought when I asked you how much they should weigh. :D  You could tell us how much more a larger SV type wing weighs vs a smaller one.

HI Steve

My SV wings of the large size SV weigh about 4 to 4.5 ounces per panel, keep in mind this is sheeted with LE and TE caps installed and done with epoxy and has a full strenght coat of dope, In my airplanes this makes a total weight of the wing ready in install in the airplane of 675 to 694 sq in of 12.5 to 14 ounces.
This weight ready to install includes the tips, LE guide, Bellcrank, tip weight box, flaps, hinges, horns, and is glassed on the center with the entire wing covered with paper and doped.

If my wings were thicker the weight would be just a very small amount more.
My airfoils are thin for my use...they are thicker than a Nobler, but much thinner than a PM or an Impact.
This is what works best in all of my years of testing. The leading edge radius is very important to me because of the way it affects tracking and the way the wing reacts in the whigher winds
The radius in my SV foils  are about the shape of a dime or nickle..depending on which stations you use for the wing.

If you go thinner it will stall in hard corner, as will most all airfoils, if you go very blunt, the plan doesn't track very well, especially in winds.

I don't use very thick airfoils because in my opinion, it buys you nothing, and it hurts performace, too thick of a wing is not bad because of weight, it is not acceptable for me, because of the added power it takes to manouver a really thick wing with all of the extra drag.
This is exactly why for so many years Billy W stayed away from really thick airfoils..drag.. He didn't have the power to overcome it in his ships to the extent he wanted.

So bottom line I would not worry about the  tiny amount of extra weight in a really thick wing but the added drag would be my major concern.

I will also say the addition of the new motors with so much power availible has made much of this not nearly as big of an issue as it was.

Regards
Randy

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
So bottom line I would not worry about the  tiny amount of extra weight in a really thick wing but the added drag would be my major concern.

Back to the weight issue, why would a thick wing be heavier than a thin one? 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2009, 06:58:23 PM »
I never said otherwise.  

In the case of the foam wing, very little cane be done to reduce the weight of the wing.  Most foam cores are cored to the same thickness, and the sheeting is the same.  I would not hazard a guess at how strong a foam wing really is compared to in flight loads that are actually required.  Probably serious over kill.

Actually a LOT can be done to lighten foam wings, have you followed Dee Rice's buildup of a wing over a foam core? using carbon tow for ribs, he then removes virtually all the foam from in side the wing, it is significantly lighter than conventional foam construction. Most foam wings are overbuilt anyway. Of note with a foam wing, the potential exists to get a significantly lighter finish on it versus an open bay wing FWIW

I never said that thicker wings cannot be built light.
Actually, you did say that all things being equal( which they never are)  a thick wing is heavier.

From my stock car days, a race car chassis can be built significantly lighter by using bigger circumference tubing with thinner wall AND it will be stronger, more rigid, and lighter.
If a person uses the same materials on a thicker wing then he is not DESIGNING the wing. If you DESIGN a wing to take the loads, the spars will taper thinner towards the tip, the sheeting will get thinner, because the loads drop off significantly towards the tip. However, in our little world, the means to make this transition , while available, is somewhat intense for the minor gains aquired. Now when I designed the spars and ribs for the "Avenger" ( shultzies classic legal one)( I did in fact taper the spar because its an I beam type wing so I have graduated laminations . The ribs also have larger lightening holes towards the tips. Probably saved 1/5 oz,, Do you take advantage of that design perameter when you are laying up  a new ship, if not, then you arent comparing apples to apples
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #144 on: December 17, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
Back to the weight issue, why would a thick wing be heavier than a thin one? 

Hi Howard

You will notice I said a tiny amount of weight differance...however if i build a wing say 1 inch thick and the same size wing 3 inches thick I willl need a longer metal rod for my BC mount, this will add weight, I also will need more material to glass and epoxy the center section, this will weigh more etc..

However as I stated the tiny amount of weight is not worth talking about

Regards
Randy

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
Well-----,

A 630 Sq In plane with a 20 or so % airfoil using a PA 75 not breaking anywhere in the pattern did win the last World Championship.  I guess drag was absolutely no problem for that setup, right Randy?

Jim Pollock   :o

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2009, 12:32:24 AM »
You sound like Ted Fancher.  What is "too much lift"? 

While I am sure Ted said it, look at the wing David is now using combined with absurd power. For years we have had tons of adequate lift with coupled flaps....and not enough controlled power despite some feather weights on the flight line. "To much lift" is the opposite of "not enough"! I used all Teds published data, Al Rabes stuff, Gialdini etc. and turned up with an airfoil that was just a dandy drag wagon for a conventional 60 but was hard to get to track with a piped 61. Sure, smaller flaps/throw, but the problem pointed to excess lift and inability to lock in during hard corners and oddly round shapes suffered as the CG moved back despite a good sized stab. The proof resides at David's house.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2009, 02:10:34 AM »
You and Ted may well be describing a real phenomenon, but it's difficult to figure out what it is.  Best I can tell, you guys have your own definition(s) of "lift" and are describing a reduction in pitch stability with increasing lift.  I usually read Ted's stuff pretty carefully, because he certainly knows how to design, build, trim, and fly stunt planes, but the "excess lift" stuff has me puzzled. 

Modelers use a number of technical terms differently than do disciplines from which the terms were taken.  Other examples are "cavitate", "moment", "inboard", and "power".   A definition is neither right, nor wrong, but workers in a field generally settle on unique meanings for the technical terms they use.  The standard definition for lift is the component of aerodynamic force on the airplane perpendicular to the direction the airplane is going relative to the air.  Thus the more lift, the more the airplane will accelerate perpendicular to the direction it's going relative to the air.   Although you perceive me to be a dummy because I don't understand the simple concept that "'To much lift' is the opposite of 'not enough'!", your superiority might be because I don't understand your private slang.     
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »
Hmmm ... my native language is Slovak, but I would say that opposite of "not enough lift" is "enough lift" and that is what I think is happening here. I did excel analyze of model and what I found, is, that what we need is the airfoil which gives "enough" lift. Anything more than that "enough" is not useful (means it cannot bring anything positive, because we cannot employ it).

I remember this thing years ago on compuserve.

Centrifugal force (quadrate of speed) needs some amount of lift coefficient (also related to quadrate of speed).

Both thin airfoil and also thick airfoil (to some extent) gives lift coefficient which grows 0.11 per 1 deg AoA. The difference is where this linear part of polar stops (where is critical AoA). So what we really need is the airfoil which will cover all our needs in that linear part of polar. Anything over is not important.

So what we really need is simple. The airfoil must:
- make enough lift in linear part of polar
- that part of the polar must be smooth in drag and in moment polars (without bumps, stairs etc)
- and that all must be true in all used angles of flaps deflection

I would say that any statement “too much lift” is related to improper flap/elevator ratio or too low wing load leading to improper (too low) AoA during the corner.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »
to excess lift and inability to lock in during hard corners

You and Ted may well be describing a real phenomenon, but it's difficult to figure out what it is.  Best I can tell, you guys have your own definition(s) of "lift" and are describing a reduction in pitch stability with increasing lift. 

So, is this something like the increased wing lift in hard corners moving the model's neutral point forward and decreasing the static margin so that the built-in tendency to return to neutral is decreased? A divergence? 'still trying to get comfortable with these stability concepts.

SK

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here