Design > Stunt design

Wing Airfoil Selection

(1/4) > >>

Adriano Gularte:
Hello Fellows from Stunthangar!

What is the best airfoil (simetrical) to use in a stunt airplane designed to use .35 to .40 engines?

Best Regards!

Ken Culbertson:
Now that is a subject that we all agree on.... LL~
To me, it is going to depend on a lot of factors.  What sort of .35 - 40?  Legacy like a Fox 35 (say no)?  What is your skill level?  Will you be flying hard corners?  How big will the plane be and how much will it weigh?  Flaps?  All of this, and more go into airfoil selection.  My recommendation - find a fairly recent designed that has a good record in that size and copy the airfoil.  Two very different ones that I have experience with are the Mustunt and the Vector series.  When that size motor was popular the Gieseke Nobler airfoil was "King of the Hill".  It is still a good choice. I would avoid any that are extra blunt, flat backed (ice cream cone) or thicker than 20% in that size motor.  This is just me and others may not agree.

Ken

Dennis Toth:
Adriano,
Agree with most of what Ken said, for the Fox you would want to have a ship with 16 - 18% thickness and max span of 46 - 48", keep the weight below 40oz. Also if you use a Fox 35 with muffler cut the prop diameter to 9 1/4 - 9 1/2" to reduce load (heat) in the engine. If using a more current engine then what Ken said fits the bill, Vector is a good ship to look at.

Best,   DennisT

Air Ministry .:
This works good , & f ou shorten the rear by an inch ( 7 in. chord rather than 8 in. ) it gets fairfully modern .

Antique Fox .35 things were 36Oz. & unmuffled , Thinner low drag stuff , usually . Not that a Oriental isnt for a fox .35 .
but is good with a LA 46 etc .

or a o\more modern one thats the same . Theres a AIRFOIL thread or two , but it like cars & motorcycles
A XLCH isnt a Bultaco trials bike , but thats not to stop you trying , with it .

Air Ministry .:
Your actually best to ' RESTYLE ' a existing competant design , perhaps .

Twink , twink , glorious twink .

These suckers will carry a bit of weight . LIKE ANYTHING , building it light straight & true with ' solid ' controls
is essential if its to behave itself .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version