News:

• March 28, 2024, 08:02:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Big Nobler  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Big Nobler
« on: April 20, 2023, 01:17:32 AM »
A friend, who might remain nameless, wants to build a .46-size Nobler.  He asked for suggestions.  A Nobler is a .46-size Nobler, isn't it?  Besides the size, I'd suggest a good airfoil and a horizontal stabilizer that's as big and as far back as possible without looking too much unlike a Nobler for his taste.  Please give us historic and philosophical advice.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Big Nobler
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 07:02:16 AM »
   I knew people have been running ST.46's in Noblers since that engine came into favor. The first one I ever saw powered by an ST.46 was by Lou Wolgast at a early VSC . Lots of people run LA.46s in the ARF's these days. The biggest problem is fitting in a big enough tank in that skinny fuselage. The ARFs have some of their own issues.  Now , if you want a big Nobler I met a guy at the SIG contest years ago the enlarged the green box kit to a .60 size for the Fox .59. His had a short shaft .59 in it. He actually had the model with him, so we got to look at it. Jim Lee was there, and he remembered seeing the model at a contest in the early 60's and even had a photograph of it with a time stamp on it from that same contest. Another guy there, who's name I can't remember right now, measured up the model and drew a set of plans for it, which I have. The builder's name was Jerry Jack, I think, and the the guy that drew up the plan was maybe Jan Rummery??  There are plans on Outserzone of various Noblers, and I think some one even has a sheet with all the green box Nobler parts on it. All that is needed is some work with a digital plotter to get the exact size he wants. He certainly would not be the first one to do this. Igotta run to an appointment but will check back in later.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 07:30:45 AM »
Isn't Gieseke's Bear design something that would fit, maybe just revise the tail a bit?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 09:04:22 AM »
Put a Nobler fin, Nobler wingtips, and impose the Nobler stab shape (but not size) onto an Impact.

Put a piped 40 in it (or a piped 46LA -- Randy will sell you the pipe setup).

Then you'll have a "46 sized Nobler" that could go head to head with an Impact, almost.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 09:51:19 PM »
LA 46's are popular in REGULAR NOBLER's .

https://stunthanger.com/smf/nostalgia-30/gieseke-nobler-46/msg613419/#msg613419

Owever , a SF .46 has as much grunt as a ST 60 , if your more expansive . lotta Stuff on ' the Bear ' .
think he first did a bigger Nobler for the ST 60 back when EVERYONE had to have a S Tigre 60 .

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 10:15:49 AM »
Howard you might just suggest the Bear.  It is quite a bit like an enlarged Gieseke Nobler and the '97 version I believe flew with everything from a Tigre .46 to a PA .75 at one time or another.  Just needs to be light for a .46.  I understand the stab area is at the absolute minimum for the design so it really needs the tip plates or you might fudge the size up a little.  I think this was intentional to lighten the aft end as much as possible.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 11:41:51 AM »
I have a 50 ounce Gieseke Nobler with an LA 46.  Fully sheeted foam wing.  Nice combination.  Yeah, maybe a bit overpowered at times but I can always reduce the nitro and do other things to calm it down.  This is a good set up for those days when the air density is lousy and you need the power.

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 09:24:09 AM »
I made a 46 sized Gieseke Nobler by taking the kit plans and enlarging a bit.  Wing area is around 630 sq in.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 07:12:31 PM »
The THING with a LA 46 in a Std. Nobler , is a Toungue Muffler ( Reqd. for weight things ) & small venture , will get it trickling along , and the props not gunna stop .

Like the .275 VF venturie , where itll run the same anywhere . Whereas if you get a bigger one the tune goes with the barometer .

AQ Big Ballrace SF would want a bigger plane . The 46 is FP 35 / 40 ish , with a big piston . Hasnt got the grunt for a 60 ship .

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 08:06:51 PM »
Did Bob Gieske build a .60 sized Nobler?
De Hill

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here