News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why stiffness matters  (Read 19420 times)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Why stiffness matters
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2010, 09:03:26 PM »
FWIW...Before and After. It flexed.

Norm has it repaired (again) and flying, this time perhaps without the stress risers.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
I wish I could have gotten in on this earlier, but just couldn't due to computer problems and starting a Job in Madison, AL.
Anyway, at WAM contest I used to attend If someone was flying a stock Magician, you could watch and hear the stabalizer both flexing and making a buzzing sound in a hard inside or even outside corner.  I was always afraid that one of the stabs was going to snap resulting in a rather spectacular crash.  Never did see one, but it still worried me!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Bruce Perry

• Commander
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

wow ! cool shot of Jester.  So is that amount of deflection normal?  That wing was very light when first finished.  Subsequent paint has changed that....

New one is much lighter...

B

This is not ideal, since it's in a round loop, but here is Bruce Perry's "Jester" pulling what seems to be about 3/8-1/2" (or ~10-12mm since he from the Great White North). Beauty!

The second picture is Larry Wong's Imitation Plus entering the 4-leaf. On this one it at least looks like a good bit of dihedral and copious washout. But the shutter slot was moving up and while I was panning with it pretty well, I am less convinced - although it looks an awful lot like what I see live with my eye, and that doesn't have shutter distortions.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here