News:

• April 17, 2024, 06:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why are our fuselages so thin?  (Read 16219 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Why are our fuselages so thin?
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »
Since I've been exposed to a lot of RC flying and my friends have been exposed to CL flying, we've been exchanging knowledge and questions about each subject of model aviation. One question I keep getting asked is why our fuselages are so thin and I can't answer that. My guess is its because there's less drag.

Is that the reason or is it just for the simplicity of building?

Matt Colan

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Why are our fuselages so thin?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:35 PM »
It makes it harder to convert them to electric, and that's good. 

I wondered the same thing.  I made mine wider.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:11 PM »
Matt I think you should ask why theirs is so wide and drag producing.  (They have to get all the junk inside). Our fuse width is historically based on engine crankcase plus motor mounts plus doublers plus fuse sides equal width.  Anything more is power robbing in terms of penetration, and sure it's just easier to build that way. There have been a few like Al Rabe who did something different and proved it could be done.  It would be easier now with all the power we can have. As long as the fuselage/cowling isn't too close and blanking out too much prop disc and a big open cowl doesn't hook too much wind you could go a little bigger.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:51 PM »
I think that it all started as making models as scale replicas of full size aircraft that had to carry pilots, cargo, undercarriage etc.

Most RC models have a far more scale look than CL ones but if you look back in time more of the early sport CL models did indeed have scale wide fuselages as well as high wings and other recognizable stuff from full sized flight.

Both species have evolved since, plus it is much harder to pull away from flat sheet sides and make a wide fuselage as it really wants to attract things like strip planking, molded sheeting and other ancient Byzantium techniques.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »
Most RC models have a far more scale look than CL ones but if you look back in time more of the early sport CL models did indeed have scale wide fuselages as well as high wings and other recognizable stuff from full sized flight.

Look back in time to the late 1970's, early 1980's, and RC pattern planes were pretty thin, too.  It wasn't until turnaround, and then IMAC, that they started looking like actual planes again -- before that they tended to be skinny and tall, probably to optimize knife-edge flying without being obvious about it.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

steven yampolsky

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
There is no obvious benefits to bigger fuses, it is purely a personal preference. Many modern stunt models are "fat" like RC. Yatsenko Yak-55, French team pilots, Chinese Yak-18's.

Personally, I like skinny fuses because I can grab them with one hand! Let's see if your friends can carry their models with one hand and equipment in another  LL~

Besides, all this trend to make RC planes look like the real airplanes is silly. They more they try to "look" like the real airplanes, the more it becomes obvious that they are not.

The ONLY RC planes that I like the looks of are the ones that don't try to look like full scale airplanes but instead make the look unique! I am talking about purpose built like this one:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/leo110enpofa.html
or
http://www.bigbruceracing.com/data/images/chris.jpg

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 04:59:02 AM »
Wider fuselages can be stiffer for a given weight.  They are also easier to get electrickery into and bend that fat wire around. 
The Jive Combat Team

steven yampolsky

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:30 AM »
I was going to post and analogy with "women" but this is a serious forum.   @@^

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:56 PM »
I'm not so sure how "real" those RC pattern ships look, but like all competitive models, form follows function - and rules. Recently FM magazine ran a series of columns covering the history of pattern model design. I'm sorry that I don't remember the specifics, but I do think that the fuselage size reflects rules and their relation to things like knife-edge flying and other maneuvers they do at the speeds they fly and the radii of their turns. I have just some limited time now, but I'll try to find those issues when I'm done with a couple pressing things here now.

SK

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
I believe current R/C pattern ships are at least partly built so huge because drag is beneficial there. Power (whether IC or electric) is plentiful but they want to keep the downline speeds down.

Otherwise, I see an obsession to make planes look like "real" airplanes that could fit a "real" engine, "real" pilot, and possibly other "real" items.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
Skinnier is lighter all things being equal. But I think a lot of it comes from progression from Fox .35s to the big block ships of today. If you look at a Nobler or a Skylark the fuselage looks right. Of course, I may just be programmed to think that now.

Just before power started going up ships like the Genesis and Stiletto were in vouge with the trim sleek look. I remember looking at Al Rabe's Mustang and Sea Fury at the NATs and thinking how HUGE they looked.

The thing with a stunt ship isn't that it's so thin, it's that it's so long. The long nose of a stunt ship ( in my humble opinion) contirbutes to the overall thin look. If you look at homebuilt single seat arcraft, they generally ARE thin, but the nose is only long enough for a motor mount and a 4 cylinder Lycoming or Continental. Since they are air-cooled opposed engines, you have the cowling bumps which makes them appear wider.

I'm 6',165 pounds soaking wet, yet I've flown some acro aircraft where my shoulders were rubbing the chrome-moly tubes.
AMA 76478

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
Skinnier is lighter all things being equal.

They aren't, though. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
in a simple view of most aircraft from the second world war. You might notice that the fuselages was a continuation for whatever powered the aircraft. Look at early models of the spitfire and the engine is wrapped by the fuse. and tapers and narrows to the back of the plane. Same with the 190 folkewulf and the hawker seafuries.
design was to figure out what was to power it and draw lines back from their.

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:21 AM »
Jim,

Actually, in the WWII era if you look down on a fuselage you will find it is an NACA 00XX with the required modifications for power.  The P40 is a perfect example as is the Spitfire, P39 and many others once you know what to look for. For radials they still based it the same way and then just stuck the engine out there.
AMA 76478

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 08:19:28 AM »
If I remember right, the Owl Racer had a huge cowl but had less drag than some of the smaller cowled planes. I think it depends alot on the shape of the cowl more than the area. And to a point I think you can build a wider fuse just as light as a narrow one and it will probably be stiffer.
Jim Kraft

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
Matt, it's mostly that smallish fuselages with flat sides are easier to build.  And you can use thicker wood to make it stiff enough.  A semiscale fuse, ala a Spitfire or Mustang would have to be molded out of 1/16 in. wood.  Not nearly as easy as cutting a few sheets and carving or molding a top and bottom.

Phil C.
phil Cartier

Offline Steve Thomas

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »
Would there really be significant drag reduction with a thin fuselage?  And if there was, would it matter much? I'm just thinking that with our high-thrust, thick-winged, slow-flying models, a bit of extra parasite drag from a wider fuselage isn't going to be much of an issue.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 05:48:29 PM »
Would there really be significant drag reduction with a thin fuselage?  And if there was, would it matter much? I'm just thinking that with our high-thrust, thick-winged, slow-flying models, a bit of extra parasite drag from a wider fuselage isn't going to be much of an issue.

No and no, respectfully, although I haven't calculated anything.  I think you're correct.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Just for reference, I've been contemplating building a semi-scale something for my next project.

If I made an airplane that's got a 50-inch wingspan, make all the "numbers" match current stunters, and retain the fuselage aspect ratio, then a Beech Bonanza would end up being just about six inches wide through the cabin, while an Extra 230 would be over six inches wide in the cowl (although it would taper nicely to a point in the back).  I think a Spit or a Mustang would be narrower, but they'd still be honkin' big.  It'd be much more of a challenge to build a light airplane if it's six inches wide than if it is two.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
Its so they twist in the wind and steer themselves elsewhere , thus ' its getting a bit windy ' , - the Pilot .  LL~

Serially ; with projeted ( in the airstream ) wing area matching , a scale F8F eith a C.F. fuselage with a few bulkheads , as it were a Engineer had given it some consideration , the strength though displacement would be superior to a scrawny flexy thing .

The dreaded missinterpated length / width  = Volume ratio , is THAT . the 6:1 is Effecient for VOLUME / DRAG , for FUEL .
if its not a container but a structure , other figures intrude .
Though the volume of AIR ( atmosphere 0 it displaces has a comesurate influance to a wing .

then we have drag Co-efficents of friction / area . Cd.s . and mass , lift . stability .

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Planes can never be too skinny or too rich.

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
When I quit flying R/C pattern back in 94 and started flying control line again what I noticed most was the length of the planes, R/C being much longer than control line. Back in the late 60's early 70's, pattern planes were a lot shorter than in the 90's and later. Control line planes have generally gotten longer in the last few years it seems to me also.
Jim Kraft

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »
I have experimented with wider fuses over the years.

Here is what I have found. Yes they can be made stiffer than their skinny counter parts. The trade off is weight.  The wider fuse has more surface area and will require more finish to complete.  Thus making it heavier.  I know it isn't much but it adds up.  If you can make the thinner fuse stiff enough to handle flight loads then going wider is actually only adding weight and drag.

That drag makes a difference.  Any added drag in our situation is compounded by the plane being tethered.  And we cant just give it a little throttle to compensate for it.  We have to adjust our whole run.  

From what I have learned thin and tall seems to give the best performance.  Tall for side area and tracking, tall is a relative term of course.  Thin for less drag.  

The less drag you have the more open you are when it comes to the type of engine run you can chose.  When I had a very thin tall fuse I could run extremely flat pitched props at high rpms, 10500-10750 on a PA 65 at take off, 12" four bladed prop. It was a very steady run with minimal on and off cycling. The prop essentially became the brake along with the pipe.  It was a slick setup for sure.

As I ventured into a more wider fuse phase I was having to run much more on and off type runs to pull the plane out of hard corners.  The added drag was was cornering me into a certain type of run along with a slightly fater lap time. It is for sure that both styles will work, and work well.  Its a matter of which one you find easier to work with and more pleasing to your peronsal liking.  

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
One thing I thought of as I read Matt's original post is that the new Unmanned planes and drones out there today from the military and or private firms ventruing into this field don't look like scale planes much at all.  With no pilot to accommodate the setup can be different for sure.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »
 :o ~^ H^^
Detail of  my Boeing retirement cartoons of a retiring GEEBEEEE LOVIN' modelmaker manager Dick Minard who loved THOSE GEEBEEEFATTY'ZZZZZZZ. Yes, Fat fuselages used to rule the early full scale designs....Seems like Boeing was also into FATTY FUSELAGES in the early dazedays of flight. LL~
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:06:39 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »
Yes, Fat fuselages used to rule the early full scale designs....Seems like Boeing was also into FATTY FUSELAGES in the early dazedays of flight. LL~

Something to do with those single-row radials, perhaps?
AMA 64232

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
Something to do with those single-row radials, perhaps?
YES! THOSE RADIALS...NOT ONLY WERE MASSIVE...BUT ALSO WEIGHTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »
I have experimented with wider fuses over the years.

Here is what I have found. Yes they can be made stiffer than their skinny counter parts. The trade off is weight.  The wider fuse has more surface area and will require more finish to complete.  Thus making it heavier.  I know it isn't much but it adds up.  If you can make the thinner fuse stiff enough to handle flight loads then going wider is actually only adding weight and drag.

This.

...and stunt planes are supposed to look like yardsticks... 

There are some advantages to going slightly wider... 
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 10:13:45 AM »

There are some advantages to going slightly wider... 

I know one of the great advantages for those of us who use plastic clunk tanks is you can slant the rear of the tank towards the outboard side of the plane and get a killer 1/2 lap shutoff!!!  None of this 6 laps of beeping nonsense to fight through.  It helps a great deal in FAI with the 7 minute limit.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
For all those who wonder why all you need to do is build and fly one and that will give you your answer. This comes from a guy who built 3 one after another and I don't see a forth in my future.
AMA 12366

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 12:06:22 PM »
There are many reasons to have a thin or thick fuse, but I think a lot of it
just comes from personal taste and aesthetics. Or, it's just what the builder's
eye prefers.

Personally, I prefer my fuselages to just a bit wider than the 'norm'. On my own
designs my planes usually have a 2.75" wide fuse. I do this because I like the way
it looks and it also makes it easier to package the power train. Also, as Doug
said previously a wider fuse allows for a canted tank which will aid in the shutoff.

Later, Steve

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
And how often has Kieth Trostle trounced the competition with his Bearcat? I think he has retired it qat least
twice, and then gone back to it.

I have a theory tha the ultimat stunt model would have near infinte drag and infinite thrust. That would cut out all those nasty side issues like gravity and wind.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 03:45:38 PM »
As for fat bodies, I refer you to Willie Dixon:

'Cause I'm built for comfort
I ain't built for speed
But I got everything
That a good girl need
The Jive Combat Team

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:29 AM »
A fat fuselage doesn't seem to slow my planes down any.

A6M2 Zero stunter with RO-Jett 76

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »
A fat fuselage doesn't seem to slow my planes down any.

A6M2 Zero stunter with RO-Jett 76

Floyd
I assume that the exit for the airflow is under the radial cowl?

Nice model too!
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Reducing drag on a stunt ship is really not a governing design parameter.  The difference between the total frontal area of two "typical" 60" wing span stunt ships, one with a fuselage diameter of say 6", the other with a fuselage cross section of say 2.5" x 6 " is something in the neighborhood of 5% or less.  Then, when you throw in the fact that the total system drag in flight at the end of 60 to 70 foot lines, the lines represent probably more than 50% of the total drag.  Besides, drag in itself is not necessarily a detrimental factor with these things because the stunt ships are really big producing drag machines.  They have thick wings with airfoils that are not selected necessarily for low drag.  They have a landing gear hanging out there in the wind.  And then, there are those lines which are long cylinders which create almost as much drag as a flat plate with the same frontal are.

Something to think about and to keep things in perspective relative if striving for a "thin" fuselage.

Also, with carefull selection of materials, structures, internal design, and dimensions of those materials, a "fatter" fuselage can be built stronger and for no more weight than a fuselage considered to be "thin". 

Hurrah for Al Rabe and his Super Semi-Scale Stunt Ships, otherwise known as SSSSS's.

Keith

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
. . . Also, with carefull selection of materials, structures, internal design, and dimensions of those materials, a "fatter" fuselage can be built stronger and for no more weight than a fuselage considered to be "thin". 
Keith

Keith's many-years-old Rabe Bearcat is proof of that!  Always a top contender in Classic and Expert PA, with many wins to its credit.

Of course, much of that has to do with the guy on the handle.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »
Heres one for the masochists .  ;D

need retracts , for the vertical C. G. , Id think . like a Widgeon , maybe .

got one on paper , 40ish size . played with a bit as theres no decent scale drgs ,
but captures the lines o.k. . ( a 12 in. prop .40 ! )

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:56 AM »
I had this wide body in the 80s. It was about 4 1/2 wide and flew great. The airplane was based on the CP-90 design by Claude Piel. It is closely related to the Emauraude and CAP 10. ST .60 for power.

My CP-90 was painted like the French Connection airplanes, got 18 points at the Nats... even had an Aresti card in the cockpit.

Met its demise to Circle Burner turbulance.  From the 45 on top of the square 8 it got hit from 2 directions and went Flat from the 45 to the ground. It felt like I was hit by a Mack Truck!
AMA 7544

Offline SteveMoon

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
    • www.ultrahobbyproducts.com
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
Tom: That's a great looking plane, any more pics?

Steve

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 04:49:21 AM »
Steve,
That is the only picture that I have found. There are probably more, but I don't know where. I still have the rough drawing (on shelf paper), templates for the foam wing, and the canopy plug. That's it.

The airplane might be worth revisiting, possibly for electric. There are only a few minor changes that I would make.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:39:57 AM by Tom Niebuhr »
AMA 7544

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
Heres one for the masochists .  ;D

got one on paper , 40ish size . played with a bit as theres no decent scale drgs ,

go for it Matt.  I suspect it could fly a lot better than most would think.

Phil c
phil Cartier

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Heres one for the masochists .  ;D

Matt,

Retracts like those are possible. Guys smarter than me have done it.  n~

I'm working on a set for a F3F-1. I put in the time eons ago and made drawings.

I'm also doing a set for a Widgeon. Same but different.

These drawings are what I did in CAD, photo of the monitor actually. I can draw them any size.

What have you got for drawings for that model?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
I had this wide body in the 80s.

Me, too.  I still have mine, and the Midwestern road food I've been eating isn't helping.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 06:26:45 PM »
Reducing drag on a stunt ship is really not a governing design parameter.  The difference between the total frontal area of two "typical" 60" wing span stunt ships, one with a fuselage diameter of say 6", the other with a fuselage cross section of say 2.5" x 6 " is something in the neighborhood of 5% or less......

Also, with carefull selection of materials, structures, internal design, and dimensions of those materials, a "fatter" fuselage can be built stronger and for no more weight than a fuselage considered to be "thin". 

Hurrah for Al Rabe and his Super Semi-Scale Stunt Ships, otherwise known as SSSSS's.

Keith
Double hurrah for what Al has done

The frontal area to me isn't as much concern as the wetted area.  Added wetted area adds drag for every square inch.  Frontal area is muted by streamlining.  I suspect the typical stunt fuselage, because of the corners and edges, has about the same drag as a much larger, more streamlined fuselage.  But the differences are relatively small compared to the lines.

Phil C
phil Cartier

Offline Jonathan Chivers

• Ensign
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2015, 08:33:23 AM »
I know I am late to this party, but here is my 2 (un-educated) cents.

Take a minute to look out side of model planes and check out the shape of modern passenger planes and super tankers. In both cases they are long with wide bodies but low drag. This is something in the ratio of length to width that impacts on the overall drag of body in motion. I suspect it is irrelevant to consider width (and there fore cross section) without considering length.

Also, with the use of CAD packages such as DevFus that can automate the removal of former material and laser cutting for complicated shapes, it is now realistic to design and make formers for wide bodied fuselages with minimal weight. And with materials such as carbon tissue and one part water based laminating resin (both from Deluxe Materials), it is possible to use 1/2" or 1.6mm balsa skin with a lamination to be both light and very strong.

Jonathan

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »
Jim,

Actually, in the WWII era if you look down on a fuselage you will find it is an NACA 00XX with the required modifications for power.  The P40 is a perfect example as is the Spitfire, P39 and many others once you know what to look for. For radials they still based it the same way and then just stuck the engine out there.

Are you referring to the shape of the fuselage when looking from the side ????
When looking from the top down or the bottom up the fuse is rarely much wider than the nacelle/engine mount.
Same goes for the geebee or or even most modern rotary aircraft. Only when they went to the supersonic aircraft did the fuselage seem to become a coke bottle to try and move the point where the pressure wave was a problem.
unless i'm missing something...maybe the drawing I am looking at are inaccurate ???
Then again maybe maybe a NACA 00xx just follows the taper or any flexible yardsticl when held in place at both ends ???

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here