News:

• March 29, 2024, 12:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wedge vs. tab for trimming wings level?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wedge vs. tab for trimming wings level?
« on: February 12, 2022, 12:30:14 PM »
I have been working to get the wings level on my S1 Ringmaster. The wing needs an outboard tip tab to lift up as the ship flys inboard wing high in level upright and low inverted. I have been trying a wedge under the outboard tip which gets it done but if the ship gets a little off wind it wants to wander loose. I have had other ships where a trim tab was needed and use to use a tab off the trailing edge. I got the idea to use the wedge from the free flight guys flying catapult glider. The wedge looks nicer since it is under the wing out of sight. I am wondering if it is causing a funny airflow around the edge that causes this looseness in less than perfect conditions? I seem to remember Paul W having an issue with a tip tab on one of his ships that he was trying to use a section of the tip as a trim tab and it caused all kinds of trim problem, he made it fixed, no up/down position and used the flap tweak and all the trim issues were gone. What do you think wedge or tab?

Best,   DennisT

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wedge vs. tab for trimming wings level?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 01:44:44 PM »
On a Ringmaster I would try and remove the reason for needing the tab/wedge.  I have used wedges on HLG and gas FF because they are more effective at higher speeds and help provide the roll under power and then the transition as the plane slows down off of power.  I like the flexible/adjustable tab on CL.  A wedge is pretty fixed.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »
Find and remove the warp causing this or you will just go nuts. LL~ H^^
Ty Marcucci

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 01:53:39 PM »
Ty’s got it.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 02:00:33 PM »
Ty beat me to it -- but I was doing this long writeup.  So:

Neither tab nor wedge.  The Ringmaster wing is held in torsion by the covering, and is very easy to unwarp.

'Coat or tissue & dope, it's easy to unwarp (or warp) the wing with heat (and moisture, if dope is involved).

First, inspect the wing for warp.  I do this by putting the spinner on my toe, and sighting down the fuselage from the back.  Line your eye up to the very back of the fuselage, and tilt the plane in pitch so that you're looking right down the airfoil at the wing roots -- i.e., you want to see an equal amount of wing above and below the trailing edge at the root.  Then, move just your eyeballs out to the wing tip -- you should see equal amount of wing above and below the trailing edge at the tips, and everywhere in between.

If you don't see that equal spacing then the wings are twisted.  If they're twisted to roll the airplane to the outside of the circle when upright -- congratulations, you've found the real problem.

The luckiest (least unlucky?) twist is even, from root to tip.  To fix that, hold the tip to straighten the wing out, plus just a little bit of "anti-warp" (how much to go past "correct" depends on the plane and the covering, so plan on trying once or twice to get it right).  Now re-shrink your covering and check for warp again.  Repeat until there's no visible warp, then go fly your new plane.

To re-shrink 'coat, just use a heat gun like you did when you shrunk it.  Hold in the anti-warp with one hand and go over the covering on one side (top or bottom) with the heat gun.  You may see diagonal ripples in the covering where you're stretching it -- that's normal, and means things are working.  Keep holding in the anti-warp, and make the covering look good.  Now check for warp again, flip the plane over, and repeat on the other side (bottom or top).  Use what you found out checking the warp to decide just how much anti-warp to hold in while you do this.

Keep in mind for this part that I'm quoting other people -- the only plane I've tried this on has way too much plasticiser in the dope and it just won't stay shrunk.  To re-shrink whatever-and-dope, you want to hit it with moist heat.  The recommendations I've gotten are to hold it over a kettle, pull towels out of a kettle of boiling water, or some other solution that involves steam.  It takes more time (the moisture needs to penetrate).  Because the heat and moisture will penetrate, you need to hold the anti-warp longer -- to the point where you may want to make a fixture, or plan on sitting and watching TV for a while while holding the wing.

While you're checking out the plane, you also want to check to see if the trailing edges are bowed -- this will show itself as a warp that gets worse toward the center of the wing then gets better at the tips.  If it's not severe, you can fix this the same way, you just have to hold in some anti-bow while heating the covering (or you want to heat the TE itself -- see the next little bit).

And, among all that, you also want to check if the horizontal stab is tilted: when you're sighting down the plane, with the elevator out of the way, tilt the plane in pitch until you can just see the wings under the stab.  You're looking to see an even spacing between the stab tips and the wing.  If you don't see this, the stab is tilted.

Fortunately, on a profile, you can fix this, too.  Balsa will take a set if you twist it and bend it, and the covering will help.  So, get out your heat gun, then twist the fuselage until it's twisted at least as far in the opposite direction as the actual twist.  Then spend a good long time getting the fuselage between the wing and the tail as hot as you can.  Then take the heat off and hold in the back-twist until it's cooled and check the warp.  If it's gotten better -- good.  If it's twisted the other way -- better.  In that case you might just let it settle out for a day to see if it doesn't end up spot on.  If it's not twisted at all, or not nearly enough, then you'll need to do surgery to the tail to level the elevator.

The first advice I got about tightening head bolts was "torque it until it breaks, then back it off half a turn".  For heating the fuselage you want it just short of messing up the covering or paint, and you want the wood under the paint to be warm.  So, be patient, be bold, keep feeling it for how warm it is, and remember that it's already twisted up, so bubbling the paint or covering isn't really going to make it worse, technically.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
Problem is I have tried to steam out the twist and got most of it but since it is not just a warp the glue is holding. I didn't build it and don't know what kind of glue the guy used. So not wanting to spend too much time on this though a simple trim tab/wedge would do.

So, which one would do the job better?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 05:49:26 PM »
I have a Jim Walker Firecat that was like that, with one trailing edge bowed down and one bowed up.  No amount of heating would make the thing straight.

I ended up cutting off the trailing edges, breaking each rib loose from the leading edge, and essentially rebuilding the wing.  It was a stupid amount of work for the plane -- but hey!  It flies now!

I'd go with a tab, and maybe more steam, or if you get mad at it, strip the covering and rebuild.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »
Folks tend to assume that superposition applies to aero stuff. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 07:40:09 PM »
Folks tend to assume that superposition applies to aero stuff.

Folks tend to assume that superposition applies to a lot more than it actually does.  It does make the math easier though.
AMA 64232

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 07:44:43 PM »
Problem is I have tried to steam out the twist and got most of it but since it is not just a warp the glue is holding. I didn't build it and don't know what kind of glue the guy used. So not wanting to spend too much time on this though a simple trim tab/wedge would do.

So, which one would do the job better?

Best,   DennisT

They are getting to be far and few in between, but see if there is a printing company near you that has any kind of large format printing press, like at least 40" wide, and ask for an old printing plate. ( The one down side of retiring is not having access to goodies like this any more!!) These are usually recycled but they may give you one if you ask nice. The aluminum that printing plates use is pretty hard. I cut them into two inch by three inch pieces. If it's going to be a temporary tab I just tape them on, but I tweak a bend on it first about half way, then tape it on. Printing plate that size is about .008" to .010" thick but doesn't bend easy, if you need to bend it more you might have to take it off and re-tape it on after bending. These usually stay where you put them and I round off the corners for safety. Flashing Material from the hardware store works OK but is softer and is easier to get. K&S has aluminum sheets in their rack at the hobby shop and they are also at some hardware stores. If I am going to make it permanent, after flying it as a taped on temporary tab, I'll cut a slice in the trailing edge of the wing to slip it into, but will cut that edge down to about 1/2" wide before gluing it in, and I don't go over board on the glue.  Clear silicone on the dge where yo slip it in will hold it but will be removable if you desire to later on.
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 08:39:38 PM »

Depends on how crooked it is. Presuming that the wing is tissue/dope, you can wrap it with a bath towel,  hold it straight, and have someone you trust pour boiling water on the towel on both sides. You will feel it let go, hold it straight for 10-15 seconds, then have the helper take the towel off and let it cool.

If the residual warp is tiny, I would probably prefer a tab over a wedge, just because it does not have a significant effect on the side-to-side drag. Or, cut out a small aileron into the trailing edge stock, and make it adjustable.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
In free flight and some CL, quick cheap, free tabs come from cut up Coke cans. How simple is that? D>K

Yup.  Some of the cheapest and handiest shim stock around, and it comes wrapped around a free drink.

I use them for all sorts of things -- recently, for some OMG last-minute scoops to keep a 'lectric motor cool.
AMA 64232

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 07:57:39 AM »
I use clear stiff plastic and attach to the trailing edge (or rudder) with double sided tape. Works a treat and hardly visible. Some wings just cant be trued, unless an enormous amount of work is done, but can fly well for most purposes with trim tabs.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 10:31:42 AM »
As Ty says the old coke can is good material for a lot of things.  My ARF Flite Streak was one we could not see any warps or measure any.  The old coke can came to the rescue. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 05:52:58 PM »
In free flight and some CL, quick cheap, free tabs come from cut up Coke cans. How simple is that? D>K

Soft drink cans are handy for a lot of things, and I have used them for quick and dirty trim tabs. My first SIG Primary Force ARF had one of those hard to cure warps, so I got a Werner's Lemon-Lime can from John Garret to make one up. I doubled up the material to get some more stiffness out of it and it road along on the airplane for a long, long time. Then one day I was flying the airplane and it came flying off. I though the tape had just came loose, but on looking at it, the metal cracked along the bend I had made in it and it finally fractured and broke off.  Soft drink can stock is pretty thin, ( about .005 to .007" depending on where you are)  and Coke at one time experimented with going even thinner, and had to put facets , or bends, in the cans  to give them some vetical strength, or you couldn't stack cases and pallets of them very high. That didn't work out and they went back to what they had. The faceted cans were absolutely useless for anything like head shims as you could not flatten them out.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2022, 05:02:24 PM »
This electric twin stunter has cowlings made from soft drink cans.  (Don't remember the brand)
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2022, 06:25:21 PM »
I decided to try the good old tap. After as couple tweaks the S1's wings level through maneuvers and feels solid on the lines. Trimming the leadout position and tip weight, very close on both.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 06:55:01 PM »
This electric twin stunter has cowlings made from soft drink cans.  (Don't remember the brand)

Floyd,

What a cute model!

Your design or plans?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »
Charles.  The twin electric stunter was an experiment.  Two motors flew fairly well, but it needed a bit more power.  I added a pusher motor, making it a tri-motor.  That flew even better.  Looking at the tri-motor, I imagined a fourth motor in the nose.  After installing a fourth, the first flight with 4 motors was short and spectacular.  First time going inverted, it went free-flight with slack lines and crashed into a million pieces!  The result is shown in www.flyinglines,org under "numerous pieces"
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here