News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:20:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VECO PAPOOSE PLANS, NOT KIT PLANS - "REAL" PLANS - CURRENT INFO  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Ed OBrien

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
VECO PAPOOSE PLANS, NOT KIT PLANS - "REAL" PLANS - CURRENT INFO
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »
Anyone have reasonably current on a set of VECO Papoose plans. Not looking for a copy of kit plans, rather a plan showing all the parts and full wing, hopefully with a top view of the fuselage. I want something that I can build on, ribs, bulkheads; not a project trying to figure what the parts NOT shown on the kit plans might look like.

Thanks,
Ed OBrien

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: VECO PAPOOSE PLANS, NOT KIT PLANS - "REAL" PLANS - CURRENT INFO
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »
Ed,
I have been looking for the real Papoose plans for over a year. The one I am looking for is the original Poy-Wog airfoil ship (this would be OTS legal). It seems no one ever built this or had the plans. If you find them please post.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 11:56:29 AM »
  Hey Ed;
     Is not the difference between a Papoose and Squaw just in flaps?  I have Joe Wagner's plan for the Squaw, and it has flaps, and I'm still looking for the Papoose, but I think I remember hearing that from Joe himself. Maybe some one else can fill in some details.
   Stay tuned for further developments,
     Dan McEntee

Edit to update; I have not found the Papoose plans as yet. I did find a Veco Kit and the assembly sheet shows flaps on that model, so scratch that. I bought a lot of plans directly from Joe Wagner in 2003 and had hims sign and date them. I might not have gotten the Papoose, but still looking. I may be thinking of the Brave and Warrior? They may be the same or similar but one has flaps and the other doesn't?? Part of the fun of the hobby, figgering stuff out!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:04:38 PM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 10:38:29 AM »
Ed,
I did a search on the Original Papoose and found that Jim Thomerson had a set of the original papoose but unfortunately he passed away several years back. I don't know is anyone got them from his estate. Does anyone know if Joe Wagner is still around? He did the redesign at VECO and maybe he has a set of the old plans.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 12:15:14 PM »
Dennis, sadly, Joe Wagner also passed away recently.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 10:21:43 PM »
If my eyes and memory serve me right the Papoose and the Squaw are two different airplanes.   I built the Squaw back in the early 60's and got one flight before pushrod soldering job failed on an attempted wing over pull out.  I have the Papoose kit on the shelf that if some local would like to replicate the kit to a plane like most are used to these days, I might be talked into letting them use it.  Back then the thought was to sell more kits if plans were not full size.   Yet the kit plans like Sterling gave a good lesson on building the design. D>K

By the way now I remember the Squaw and Brave were same design.  Brave showed movable flaps. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 07:37:24 AM »
Doc,
Yes the Papoose and Squaw are different ships. The Papoose is a bit smaller, the original like the Squaw had polliwog airfoils. when Joe Wagner joined VECO he revised all the kits to a more conventional airfoil that is easier to build and cover. Unfortunately, all those kits are not OTS legal but are classic legal.

Best,    DennisT

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »
Dennis, sadly, Joe Wagner also passed away recently.

Steve, sorry to hear that. Joe was quite a character, I was E-mail corresponding with him directly and through an E-mail styled forum back 17 years ago. It regarded small flight (half-A and A stuff). We'd E-mail our builds and flights with photos, he with the help of a friend would collate the E-mails into a monthly or bi-weekly newsletter with responses. I also enjoyed his engine articles in the magazines. He was a very humble, good natured down to earth guy but with a lot of practical knowledge and advice.

He will be missed.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
For the Papoose and Squaw since Joe redesigned the airfoils do you think they were polliwogs like the original Chief just sized for the smaller ship wing cord? Can't believe no one has these plans out there.

Best,   DennisT

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 05:28:32 PM »
Back then the thought was to sell more kits if plans were not full size.

No, actually the reason why only partial plans or less than full scale plans were with kits were to reduce kit production costs to keep competitive (i.e., sales). I don't remember which designer mentioned this to me, may have even been Joe Wagner, when he was still alive. Printing paper costs money, and a smaller sheet is cheaper to produce. Thus, information was sufficient so a modeler could still build a model successfully from what was printed.

They also did kit engineering, which may explain why sheet balsa fuselage sides may have been in several pieces, like with the Goldberg half-A Falcon R/C and some Sterlings. Larger Comet models like 32 in. span Sparky rubber powered, one spliced fuselage longerons and wing leading edges and strip stock. They made use of as much balsa as possible to reduce waste. Boxes were packed as full as possible. A smaller box meant more kits could be packed in a box reducing warehousing and freight costs.

We are spoiled by later kits, which take more volume but have proper length balsa and complete full size plans.

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 11:30:08 AM »
I JUST bought a Papoose kit..  As most people familiar with Veco kits, the plans are more of an instruction sheet rather than 'Full Scale Plans'..

I am currently dealing with some major family issues and will NOT have time to accomplish this for a while...  But I will eventually trace all the parts and publish it in PDF format...  that way we all have an accurate source to scratch build a Papoose to Veco factory standards..
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 09:21:16 AM »
There is currently a Veco Papoose kit on ebay.  Looks to be complete.  $180.00

Keith

Offline beercamel

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 11:50:18 AM »
There is currently a Veco Papoose kit on ebay.  Looks to be complete.  $180.00

Ridiculous price..  I bought mine on Ebay for 60 bucks..  a month ago...  a lot ebay model sellers think their item are worth more than gold..
ALL AIRSPEED and NO HEADING is how most people plan their lives..   PICK a HEADING!.. And you eventually get to where you want to go!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here