News:

• March 29, 2024, 03:10:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: uprite / inverted engine  (Read 4337 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
uprite / inverted engine
« on: April 25, 2015, 02:50:16 PM »

OK i have watched stunt ships go from all uprite engines to mostly Inverted engines, what is the advantage for either one, ???

i just flew an old school uprite ship built by Dave Platt,( mister Scale ) it did some of the prettiest SQr's i have done in a long time and grooved like it was on rails . why would i want to do this ship as an inverted engine ????
rad racer

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: uprite / inverted engine
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
Probably because a honkin' big cylinder head sticking out the top of the cowl is going to result in fewer appearance points.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 04:06:11 PM »

Bob,

Cylinder up or down does not affect much to how the engine runs, actually you can expect more running symmetry problems with a side-mounted engine. But differend engines behave in differend way, it's not possible to give an universal answer.
When cylinder points up there is of course cosmetic issues but you may also face problems with vertical c.g, tank position and possibly landing gear height.
For other than cosmetic reasons I have ended up with cylinder pointing 40 degrees down.

Lauri

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:29:44 PM »
Upright motor requires longer landing gear.
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 05:47:38 AM »
An invert mounted engine lends itself to a raised thrustline and that promotes slight down thrust, and it seems to clear a flooded crankcase more easily.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:56:43 AM »
OK i have watched stunt ships go from all uprite engines to mostly Inverted engines, what is the advantage for either one, ???

i just flew an old school uprite ship built by Dave Platt,( mister Scale ) it did some of the prettiest SQr's i have done in a long time and grooved like it was on rails . why would i want to do this ship as an inverted engine ????

The performance of the airplane is not particularly affected by the engine orientation, assuming it runs correctly. That particular airplane probably does good square maneuvers because it's in correct trim, not because the engine is upright.

Most are inverted for appearance, and ease of starting.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
undercarrage length is shorter general with a inverted injun .

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:03 PM »
Oh, and not to forget that landing gear must be taller when cylinder is pointing up. L

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:02 AM »
why would i want to do this ship as an inverted engine ????
Why would you use an engine upright?

Some engine look cool upright, especially those with an anodized or painted head or maybe an inline twin to show it off a bit better(?)
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:20:20 PM »

Most are inverted for appearance, and ease of starting.

Brett
[/quote]

I wish that were true.  I really hate having to turn the plane upside down (engine installed inverted) to get it to fire off.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:51 PM »
I think it's solely to get the thrust line up in the fuse, without the cylinder in the direct air stream.
Regards,
Chris.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »

I wish that were true.  I really hate having to turn the plane upside down (engine installed inverted) to get it to fire off.

I find it far easier to start them inverted than upright. Sometimes you can't with piped engines because the oil runs down the pipe back into the engine but otherwise, starting inverted is generally easier.

Brett

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 12:55:38 PM »
Inverted motor=sexy looks. Upright motor=easier on old guys knees.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
I cannot imagine an upright engine with this particular design. Wasn't even considered.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here