News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:22:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two wings, round engines, well, 1 out of 2 anyway  (Read 798 times)

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Two wings, round engines, well, 1 out of 2 anyway
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »
Since I've basically finished the small stunter project, and still not working full time, I decided to finish up some projects that have been on the "back burner" for a while.

I'd like to be building, but need to wait to have a bunch of parts laser cut. I've gotten so lazy lately, and Laser cutting is so accurate, that some of my work relies on this accuracy.

Anyway, I looked through the scribblings. Yep, I'm one of those, guys who get an idea, scribble something down so I've a record of what inspired me, and later flesh it out. When I look through all the design scribbles, usually one will reach out and grab me. I need this kind of interplay to keep up the interest to devote all the time and energy it takes to finish up a good set of plans.

So, the one that slapped me up side of the head this time, Is probably the one that is going to require my utmost attention, and innovation. The "2 Bits" bipe stunter.

My concept scribbling is posted on my web site, www.cadclassics.net.

So, here's the progress so far. Total area is about 688 sq inches, span is 51.5", average chord for each individual wing is about 7 inches. It is relatively high AR of about 7 to 1 for each individual wing, but the combined average chord is about 11 inches, which makes the total AR a bit less than 5 to 1. The area of the stab and elevator is 27% of the total wing area.

Length from the tip of the spinner, to the rear of the rudder, is 44.75 inches.

Figuring the proper CG, both fore and aft, as well as vertically, was a great exercise, and a learning opportunity. I'm using a Stalker .61RE with muffler for power, and I believe I've got the nose and tail lengths as close as I can get it.

I've been figuring, and drawing the plane so that both wings dismount easily. The stab and rudder also dismount. My goal is that the entire plane should be able to be packed into one of those Ski Board carriers that the airlines seem to like.

As the plans get closer to completion, I'll be posting an updated jpeg. There's a great series of posts on Biplane stunters about 3 pages back on this forum. Here's a link to that seriess of posts. http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=3493.0 H^^

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:25:26 PM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Two wings, round engines, well, 1 out of 2 anyway
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
A lot of the details have been worked out, so I thought It would be a good time to post a jpeg.  H^^

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »
ME LIKEY John,,
thats pretty sexy looking
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 04:48:21 PM »
Thank you Mark, I think it has a certain "look" to it.

H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here