News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two blade prop causes small hunt  (Read 1701 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Two blade prop causes small hunt
« on: October 18, 2022, 06:18:05 PM »
At the Zachary contest this weekend, I took Dracula, the older, now backup airplane. On Saturday I was using a prop that had no drive in the warm, mostly dead air filled with thermals. Doug Moon had been advocating for two blades for a while, and I had a couple with me and decided to throw one on to try it out. The difference was amazing! Almost too much drive but great feel throughout the pattern. That prop made Dracula feel almost exactly like the Ferrari plane

After working on the prop and retrimming the airplane a bit, I noticed the airplane had developed the smallest of hunts in level flight, inverted was still tracking very well. This is something Doug mentioned he could feel switching to a 2 blade as well, but he felt the hunt in inverted flight. The only question I have is why the two blade doesn’t track as well as a 3 or 4 blade prop does? It was a very slight but noticeable change I could feel in the plane
Matt Colan

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
Re: Two blade prop causes small hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 08:13:33 AM »
2 blades weigh less than 3 or 4, so less spinning mass -> smaller gyroscopic precession -> less stability (not to mention a slight aft CG shift due to lighter prop).

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »
Matt the difference between upright and inverted is some small misalignment of the levels in the flap and elevators.  If you can adjust that you can find a happy medium.  Your other difference between the props Mike covered pretty well as I would diagnose it.  When I put a four blade on an airplane I've been flying a three blade on, the airplane FLIES more nose heavy than the mere difference in prop weight would indicate.  I can only guess it's more weight added to the gyroscopic affect of the spinning prop.  When you went more tail heavy on your plane it made the hunting issue more noticeable to you.  Interestingly, when I've tried two blade props on my ships I don't get enough thrust when set at the same pitch as the three blade.  I'd have to increase the pitch quite a bit to get the same lap times.  That must be about blade area in my case.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 05:07:01 PM »
Hi Dave, I’d have to check the weight of the prop that I went from. The diameter difference was a 12.5” three blade vs 13.25” two blade. When I went to the two blade, it felt like I put a brick on the nose to get it to turn. Went to the aluminum nut over the steel and a good bit of the feel came back.

The two blade is an Eather 13.25” undercambered Phelps prop. I had to reduce the diameter a little bit at the field for the 61 to not be overloaded (only about an 1/8”) but it really worked great, some less pitch and it’ll really be sweet!! The prop I was running was the cut down Bolly 13” three blade you saw me fly it with in Tulsa. I have 4.2 written on the back of the Eather and the Bolly was supposed to be around 3.8, and it very well could have moved. The 4.2 needs to be a tenth or two lower but it was acceptable for last weekend
Matt Colan

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »
Ah the extra diameter will slow the turn rate quite a bit.  That was true when I tried my 13" 3B vs the 12.25 3B.  I'd have to adjust my handle or add some tail weight to use the 13".  Your props could change pitch over time.  I left a handful of props in the car for a few very hot days and found them all to have flattened the pitch.  I would guess having them out in the sun all day at the field would do the same.  I'm going to try to be more mindful of that going forward.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here