News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twin engine semi-scale stunt model. What's your choice??  (Read 27182 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Twin engine semi-scale stunt model. What's your choice??
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
Mark is right on here, two .25 two strokers would be plenty for 700 inches assuming the model comes out at a reasonable weight. Two .40's is going to be WAY overkill and is completely unecessary. It will mainly just force you to carry more fuel, add more weight, and add to your wing loading. y1

I am using what are generally considered "mild" .40s in the overall scheme.  I also saw Windy's B-25 with two Hi Po RoJetts That were supposedly special made .36s made from the RoJett .40.

The engine weight of the DS .40 is ridiculously light.  Will need about 1 to 1-1/2 oz. more fuel per engine.  The trade off seems the best deal to me.

At least for the Del Gatto B-25 (which is WAY smaller) I am going with two Veco .19BB not the .25LA or FPs.

I have seen the difference in going from a .40 pipe engine which flew the plane extremely well, to a .51 and then a .61.  The extra power on tap was amazing.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2012, 02:42:27 PM »
hey it aint my airplane LOL,, its your sorry butt that will get dragged around the circle

It takes more to drag Bill around than it does lightweights like us.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »
Here's another: Mitsubishi Ki-46 "Dinah"

HI Denny,

In Stunt News a few years ago, two gentlemen from Japan had twin engine semi scale planes.  A Betty and a Dinah, IIRC.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
V-tail P-39 ?  :-\

There was a V-Tail Bell P-39 or was it designated RP-63C. Photo from the Air Force Museum.

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2012, 04:29:58 PM »
Dennis & Keith

Well I'll be darn.  Never knew about this one before.  Thought I'd seen them all.  Guess not. I learned something today from you guys.  Thanks for sharing.  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
There was a V-Tail Bell P-39 or was it designated RP-63C. Photo from the Air Force Museum.

Hogwash.  Somebody wants to build a stunter like this and convince us it's scale.   It is obviously a fake, probably perpetrated by Dennis Adamisin.  The aft fuselage was a sloppy job: the color and lighting don't come close to matching.  The phony blob on the back to accommodate the elevator control horns is a dead giveaway. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »
Hogwash.  Somebody wants to build a stunter like this and convince us it's scale.   It is obviously a fake, probably perpetrated by Dennis Adamisin.  The aft fuselage was a sloppy job: the color and lighting don't come close to matching.  The phony blob on the back to accommodate the elevator control horns is a dead giveaway. 
now Howard,, play nice,, LOL
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

busted!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »
HI Denny,

In Stunt News a few years ago, two gentlemen from Japan had twin engine semi scale planes.  A Betty and a Dinah, IIRC.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

The Betty would also be a promising choice.  Some of the French light bombers are very good looking birds too.  Surpised no one has mentioned the Messerschmidt Bf-110, 210 or 410.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
The Betty would also be a promising choice.  Some of the French light bombers are very good looking birds too.  Surpised no one has mentioned the Messerschmidt Bf-110, 210 or 410.

Uh they have Dennis,, they have,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Uh they have Dennis,, they have,,

oooops!   :-[   :-[   :-[   n~   HB~>
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
dude, I am like the Me/bf  guy,, how could I miss them,, LOL,, that's ok though,, we expect that from the clan that routinely leaves off one third of the tail on an airplane,,

Muah ha ha,, S?P VD~
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »
dude, I am like the Me/bf  guy,, how could I miss them,, LOL,, that's ok though,, we expect that from the clan that routinely leaves off one third of the tail on an airplane,,

Muah ha ha,, S?P VD~

Fins are a pain in the rear   LL~   LL~   LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2012, 07:47:35 AM »
I expect I'll be drawing plans for a full fuselage F7F Tigercat.

This won't happen soon, but it will happen.

Anyone interested in a cut kit, let me know.

I mentioned the posibility of providing laser cut parts for a F7F Tigercat before.

At the moment, I'm considering 52" to 57" and .25's to .40's.

Engine choice is yours.

It's a great looking aircraft to model and I believe that "correct scale outlines" can be maintained and used in the design.

Interested?

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
Prettiest looking twin I've seen is the DeHavilland Hornet.  Al Rabe is right.  Plus it has very good scale proportions for converting to stunt without making it look cartoonish.  Now you can put in light weight electric retracts for only about 4 oz. of weight.

The high aspect ratio P-38 would look sharp too.  I've seen several done with an engine in the center pod, which should work well, and avoid the twin engine troubles.
phil Cartier

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »
I still say the F7F is a great airplane to model.

Barely has a fuselage.

I wouldn't do it on my own, I would need others interested.

two .25's

Charles
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:18 PM »
The F7F is a good looking plane too.  Having tried, it is hard to get a good balance between those two huge radials, the diehedral, and the fact that retracts would be prohibitively heavy.  No WW-II ship should be flying stunt with th e wheels down.

I did happen to overhear Windy at Brodak's one year.  Commented on what a handful his F7F could be at times.  Apparently it was not an easy plane to fly.  That is with 2 36 engines in it.  Hard to see how one could get enough power out of two 25's.
phil Cartier

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
The F7F is a good looking plane too.  Having tried, it is hard to get a good balance between those two huge radials, the diehedral, and the fact that retracts would be prohibitively heavy.  No WW-II ship should be flying stunt with th e wheels down.

I did happen to overhear Windy at Brodak's one year.  Commented on what a handful his F7F could be at times.  Apparently it was not an easy plane to fly.  That is with 2 36 engines in it.  Hard to see how one could get enough power out of two 25's.

Keep the size down and build light.

Could be a nice challange.

Charles

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2012, 12:11:47 AM »
No WW-II ship should be flying stunt with th e wheels down.

Stuka?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
I'm almost surprised no one has mentioned the P-82 Twin Mustang or is this concept only for single fuselage twin engine types? D>K

Ty,

BANG! You've done it!

The perfect Warbird twin.

There's already Mustang kits to be had and all one has to do is duplicate the fuselage parts, which BTW are already there, add the center wing, sneek in the stab/elevator and you have it!

Probably the easiest way to the twin Warbird goal.

Charles

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »

Thisisa 67 in odd one , not semi scale ; SCALE : Just a few differant scales .  :##

Gotta 78 in one near done , for two 21 /35s , or 21/46s or 21/40s or a 21/40 & 21/46 , or two OS 35 'S ' es .
Then Ive gotta decide If I paint it , Blue, Black, Red , Green , silver , pale green , or , um . . .  n~ ;D

D>K H^^

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:41:07 PM by Matt Spencer »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:49 PM »
This suckers probably the most logical , bar the Me 110 .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/paul1/GlosterPeregrineF937.jpg

http://warbirdsforum.com/showthread.php?t=445

http://www.theaviationindex.com/aircraft-types/gloster-f937

The Gloster F - 9 / 37 Reaper  , olde Chape .  All straight lines , etc , and so on , Yes , ' we've ' got pictures of the perigrine engined one .
The fins look notoriously like the notorious early Halifax ones though , undersize and overcentre overbalace jamming there .
Almostas badasa Barracudda .

Though theres allways this , for someone that prefers something a bit more challengeing .  LL~

TECNICALLY , " its quite straightforward " .  ;D

Or , maybe This .

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
Stuka?
Stuka would be fine.  The Zero predecessor had fixed gear and was only slightly inferior to the Zero.

Who but Bob Hoover did aerobatics in a P-51 with the gear down.  Even Tony LeVier, who demonstrated the P-38 to the troops, didn't do gear down stuff, just single engine aerobatics.
phil Cartier

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2012, 12:57:38 PM »
I think the P-61-E & RF-61C/F-15A variants with the two place bubble kinda like the B-47 would be awesome. Mucho wing area and a lot less fuselage side area. This version kinda turned an un-gainly looking airplane into a beauty in my opinion.
I think it could make a good stunter for E-power. Anyone else think so ?  :)
AMA 33676

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
2004 WC at Muncie: Berringer Caudron.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
2004 WC at Muncie: Berringer Caudron.

I have quite a bit of video footage of this Caudron. The two Saito 40A's are something else. The plane has a groove that has to be seen to be believed.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bart Klapinski

• Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:13 PM »

While at the NATS I flew Windy's B-25 a couple times. There was no input feeling at the handle so it took a bit of getting used to. It is a very good flying model and I was able to complete a couple very good vertical square eights. I'm sure Windy almost passed out.

Tempest

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
This is the P-61 variant I spoke of in the earlier post. Check it out. !!  :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/F15a.jpg.. 
AMA 33676

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
That is the original twin tailed, twin engined F-15.  About 25 years ahead of the McDonnell version

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
Certainly is.  What do You think about the attributes for a  C/L stunt version ?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-61_aka_F-15A_bw.jpg

AMA 33676

Offline Chuck_Smith

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
Some nights I lay awake running numbers for a twin fan A10 stunt ship in my head. Electric power makes it more and more viable every day.
AMA 76478

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
I "think" I mentioned this before, (there have been over 80 replies) but from a strictly "Nostalgic" viewpoint I would pick either Paul Del Gatto's B-25 or Jack Sheeks F5F-1.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »
Certainly is.  What do You think about the attributes for a  C/L stunt version ?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P-61_aka_F-15A_bw.jpg

Dan, if you can get a look at a 3-view of the F-15A, study the 'plan' (top) view a bit. The proportions and areas look about as good for CL as many Grumman aircraft were.

The recon F-15A also does not have that ugly cluster of warts and bulges above the wing - instead, it has a very neat, sleek, lo-o-ong one piece canopy. The P-61 (and F-15A) don't require exaggerated mods to the side view, what there is of it.

And, yeah, it would look much better with the wheels tucked away, but...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
The name slips my mind (what mind you say?) but the plane that nearly killed Howard Hughs was simply beautiful.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
The name slips my mind (what mind you say?) but the plane that nearly killed Howard Hughs was simply beautiful.

Some nice pictures of Steve Moon's nice Hughes XF-11 at

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=25457.msg247475#msg247475

The XF-11 is a great looking airplane but is difficult to do for semiscale stunt with its high aspect ratio wing.  Steve did a nice job with his.  He even made this a good looking profile which is not easy to do.

Keith
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:33:20 PM by Trostle »

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2013, 07:39:57 AM »
I watched Winfred go through the "teething" process with his twins....I believe that the best flying one was his first....the B-25.
The A/B 26 was his second....and I thought that it didn't fly as well....met its demise when he hit a bird....he repaired it, but the repair later failed resulting in a complete loss.
The Tiger Cat was brilliant...but did not perform as well as the B-25.....I wonder if the large vertical stabilizers didn't result in way too much side area, causing yaw? The twin platform might have accentuated the issue?

All three were essentially the same plan form...

I know that the Moonies have plans for a smalle B-25 based on Phil Cartier's "Gotcha" wing....

The B-25 and Tiger Cat are hanging on display in Windy's attic, along with the remaining semi-scale efforts (Spitfires) and one of Al Rabe's Mustangs....

Offline Dennis Saydak

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »
This one flys great.

Just when you think you're getting ahead in the rat race.....you find the rats just get faster! MAAC 13120L

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34:38 AM »
Lou

I'm with ya !  :)
AMA 33676

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »
If your thinking about an F-81, how about twinning one of Al Rabe's Mustangs?  Proven platform X2!  Oh yeah baby! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »
If your thinking about an F-81, how about twinning one of Al Rabe's Mustangs?  Proven platform X2!  Oh yeah baby! H^^

GREAT IDEA!!!  All of those fuselages will be super GREAT.  Show how to do it, Please.

Keith

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »

He probably meant F-82.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
Yup, I meant F-82....sorry about the confusion.  But really....if you shrunk Al's P-51 about 15%, it would make an interesting F-82 with a couple of .35's.  Would have to do a few cosmetic changes and redo the landing gear, but hey, the cool factor would certainly outweigh that! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2013, 04:22:57 PM »
If your going to lug around a whole nother fuselage, you may need a nother wing to carry the extra weight !  :##
AMA 33676

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
You mean an F-82 bi-plane!?  Oh heck ya! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2013, 07:15:44 PM »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
Nice one Matt!

MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
I'd still fo with Al Rabe and vote for the DeHavilland Hornet.  It looks like an aerobatic airplane.  The Tigercat looks good, but those huge radials overpower the rest of the plane.  Plus the Hornet could have a fairly simple retract installation and doesn't have the complications of twin booms.

The ME-410 is pretty too.  Doesn't have all the bulges and bumps the Germans tended to use.  The wing is a bit small though.
phil Cartier

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
probably mentioned already, but the DeHaviland Mossy is about as pretty as you can get for a twin. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 06:22:40 PM »
Did Someone mention De H. Hornet .  ;D

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=301755&mesg_id=301755&listing_type=search
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=103&topic_id=302673&mesg_id=302673&listing_type=search
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zee links for zee more pictures / deteails .

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:13 PM »
It takes more to drag Bill around than it does lightweights like us.

What ya sayin' there, Howard??  LL~ LL~ LL~

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here