News:

• March 28, 2024, 06:50:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trip strips nearly cause crash  (Read 2476 times)

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Trip strips nearly cause crash
« on: December 02, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
I have a 6 year old Staris that I fly during the wintertime down here in Texas rather than my good NATS plane. I took the plane out a week ago for the first time in a year and saw it needed some trim. Every year when I go back to this airplane, I’ve learned some form of trimming and the airplane needs some work. If anything it’s a good mental exercise. This year I learned some stuff I wanted to apply to the old airplane, trip strips being one of them. On my NATS plane, the strips improved tracking and lock of the airplane. It also gave more feedback in the handle and felt like I needed a little tail weight. With all this knowledge gained  from this year, I thought for sure I can get a somewhat mediocre airplane by my standards into a more enjoyable airplane.

I found a parking lot about 5 minutes from the house, took the plane and stooge out today and started flying and doing some trimming. Temperature was around 80, and winds were calm, with occasional bumps coming from the surrounding trees and buildings. I added some tip weight, and the trip strips to the wing and the leading edge of the stab. The next flight was a near complete disaster!!!

I pulled up for the wingover and it wouldn’t turn. I thought I missed the wind. Inverted turn was okay from what i remember. The corner back to level flight resulted in almost no turn, the airplane simply refused to turn. I recovered at about 4”. I went to the inside loops and the result was a VIOLENT stall on the bottom of the loop. It buffeted heavily, dropped the outboard wing, yawed to the right and had another 6” recovery. I flew the flight out level except for a few climbs and dives. All resulted in the climb being a yaw to the right, outboard wing drag and losing momentum. Same went for the turn to level. Engine quit, I removed the tip weight and tried again. Same result! I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and feeling. Next flight I removed the trip strips and the airplane went back to normal. The final flight of the day I added some tip weight back and it was too much for its current state of trim. I didn’t have time to further mess with the trim of the airplane as I had to get back home.

So the biggest question I have is a simple one. Why on earth did the airplane do this? I’ve never felt or seen anything like it before. I took a picture of the arrangement I had on the airplane and will post it. Unfortunately it will be sideways because I’m posting from my phone.

The strips were mostly eyeballed at the field. Their placement was located 3.5” aft of the leading edge on a 13.25” root cord. At the tip they were placed at 2 3/8” on a 10” tip cord
Matt Colan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Trip strips nearly cause crash
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 04:32:43 PM »
So, the point of a turbulator* is to cause a little bit of turbulence that hugs the wing surface, which then prevents getting a big wodge of turbulence that separates from the wing and causes an outright stall.  This is as opposed to the stall strips that you sometimes see right at the leading edge of a wing at the wing root, which are intentionally designed to cause a Real Live Stall during high angle of attack maneuvers, but predictably and close to the center of gravity of the plane to avoid lots of roll moment and thus embarrassing things like the plane doing a tip stall half a wingspan above the ground.

I suspect that they're just having too great an effect, more like a stall strip instead of a turbulator.  That's causing the big stall that they're supposed to be preventing.  Either you just shouldn't use them on that plane at all, or you should use more and smaller ones** -- or if those are the only ones you have, line them up more with the airstream instead of angling them so severely.

If I had the courage I'd either just use the bottoms without the vanes, or align the vanes with the direction of flight.  Then I'd set the bottoms of my maneuvers about 15' off the ground, clench my buttocks, and try, try again.  Assuming I still had a plane at the end of that, I'd try them a bit forward of where you have them, to see if that makes things better (or bad enough that I had an opportunity to build a nice new plane!)

It could just be that your particular plane won't benefit from them.

* I could maybe bring myself to call them "trip strips" if they were continuous across the wing -- dunno why that name is setting me off.

** Those do look pretty big -- are they, or is it just the angle of the picture?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 04:49:17 PM »
** Those do look pretty big -- are they, or is it just the angle of the picture?
Tim, I think you are confusing the Vortex Generators with the ugly black strip of hemming cloth. LL~

Ken 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 04:51:52 PM »
Ken is right, the vortex generators have been on the airplane since it was new. The electric tape behind it was the new addition that made for an interesting day
Matt Colan

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 06:36:42 PM »
On Free Flight planes the turbulators aren't randomly placed. If they are in the wrong place it can be detrimental to the flight.
i would add that if you put them on the wing and stab you don't actually know which ones caused a problem.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 07:10:13 PM »
My guess is that the tape is lifting somewhere.  Did you remove wax from the wing before you put the tape on. If there's just one layer of tape, .006" or so thick,  it shouldn't do much at 24-26% chord.  I thought I saw some degradation--nothing awful-- when I put the trip strip behind the VGs, but I can't find mention of it in my log. 

Your trip strips are ugly. Gimme your postal address.

The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 07:56:15 PM »
Very interesting result. Take them off of the stab for sure if your control is becoming ineffective . The likely effect is that the boundary layer is being tripped in the wrong way and is causing complete separation rather than a transition to a turbulent boundary layer. The strip is probably at the exact wrong place. In the right place, tripping the boundary layer in to turbulent flow can cause the layer to be thicker at the TE and is why this kind of thing is good on a stab in that it puts some dead band in to the response of the elevator. If that works for you it is a good thing. I personally don't find it preferable and at times notice the lack of response to be concerning.

On FF models turbulators are effective at very low Reynold numbers like 50,000 where laminar separation can cause very high drag. At the 500,000 Reynolds numbers it may or may not be beneficial to the model, more than likely not. For the trip strip to work correctly it has to be placed forward enough such that it is in the laminar flow region before the natural turbulent transition in order to provoke, trip, that's where the name comes from, the transition to turbulent while the boundary layer still has enough energy to remain attached. By doing this, the laminar separation is short circuited and the airfoil continues on it's happy way. I've had them both work well and not at all. For best results they're usually up in the 3-5% and aft of the transition point they don't do much. I've done models with a trip string out 10% in front of the wing which actually works very well for a glider.

I notice that wing has a combination of devices, trip strips and VGs which are basically doing two different actions which can likely lead to the problem. The trip strips induce a turbulent transition while the VG creates a vortex to pump energy in to the boundary layer. I don't know if I have ever seen any test data with this combination before.  It could be that the trip strip is causing the BL to transition at exactly the wrong place and the pumping from the VGs is causing the reverse effect because the vortex isn't fully developed in that zone and is actually provoking separation. I don't know. That's speculative on my part.

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 08:04:31 PM »
My guess is that the tape is lifting somewhere.  Did you remove wax from the wing before you put the tape on. If there's just one layer of tape, .006" or so thick,  it shouldn't do much at 24-26% chord.  I thought I saw some degradation--nothing awful-- when I put the trip strip behind the VGs, but I can't find mention of it in my log. 

Your trip strips are ugly. Gimme your postal address.

LL~ LL~ LL~ Those are my “cut them with pinking sheers at the field, slap them on and see what happens” version. My NATS plane has .007” packing tape on at 25% cord and you can hardly see it

Sending you an email!
Matt Colan

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »
Very interesting result. Take them off of the stab for sure if your control is becoming ineffective . The likely effect is that the boundary layer is being tripped in the wrong way and is causing complete separation rather than a transition to a turbulent boundary layer. The strip is probably at the exact wrong place. In the right place, tripping the boundary layer in to turbulent flow can cause the layer to be thicker at the TE and is why this kind of thing is good on a stab in that it puts some dead band in to the response of the elevator. If that works for you it is a good thing. I personally don't find it preferable and at times notice the lack of response to be concerning.

On FF models turbulators are effective at very low Reynold numbers like 50,000 where laminar separation can cause very high drag. At the 500,000 Reynolds numbers it may or may not be beneficial to the model, more than likely not. For the trip strip to work correctly it has to be placed forward enough such that it is in the laminar flow region before the natural turbulent transition in order to provoke, trip, that's where the name comes from, the transition to turbulent while the boundary layer still has enough energy to remain attached. By doing this, the laminar separation is short circuited and the airfoil continues on it's happy way. I've had them both work well and not at all. For best results they're usually up in the 3-5% and aft of the transition point they don't do much. I've done models with a trip string out 10% in front of the wing which actually works very well for a glider.

I notice that wing has a combination of devices, trip strips and VGs which are basically doing two different actions which can likely lead to the problem. The trip strips induce a turbulent transition while the VG creates a vortex to pump energy in to the boundary layer. I don't know if I have ever seen any test data with this combination before.  It could be that the trip strip is causing the BL to transition at exactly the wrong place and the pumping from the VGs is causing the reverse effect because the vortex isn't fully developed in that zone and is actually provoking separation. I don't know. That's speculative on my part.

Interesting thought. It’s possible. I’m open to ideas on the cause as I’m at a complete loss. I only removed the wing strips and it returned to normal. The ones on the stab I can’t tell a bit of difference in how the plane flies.

As far as your thoughts on the VG’s and trip strips placed together, I saw Dave Fitzgerald have his VG’s placed on top of his trip strips. Naturally I had to ask and he said there was a benefit to having both of them. And naturally I had to try them on my NATS plane. Dave was correct, there was a distinct benefit having them installed on top of the trip tape. Since installing them, I’ve been able to fly the plane a tenth slower with ease (5.5) and no issues. Here’s a pic of them
Matt Colan

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 02:15:24 AM »
Interesting thought. It’s possible. I’m open to ideas on the cause as I’m at a complete loss. I only removed the wing strips and it returned to normal. The ones on the stab I can’t tell a bit of difference in how the plane flies.

As far as your thoughts on the VG’s and trip strips placed together, I saw Dave Fitzgerald have his VG’s placed on top of his trip strips. Naturally I had to ask and he said there was a benefit to having both of them. And naturally I had to try them on my NATS plane. Dave was correct, there was a distinct benefit having them installed on top of the trip tape. Since installing them, I’ve been able to fly the plane a tenth slower with ease (5.5) and no issues. Here’s a pic of them

Here are the things I know about trip strip turbulators. In general they haven't much impact on thin low chambered airfoils, (Michael Selig's test show some) and often but not necessarily improve the duration of gliders using highly chambered airfoils with them. Duration is the bottom of the power required to fly bucket so any benefit to drag reduction is measurable with a stopwatch. The thick symmetrical sections would fit in the high curvature and I would anticipate some benefit empirically, maybe. In order for the strip to have an impact they must be of the right thickness, on model gliders I normal use monofilament because it is easy to change thickness but thick tape works too. Making them thicker can and generally does make improvements, to a point. They have a sweet spot and further aft they are placed of that the less likely they will have an impact, my previous explanation. If they are behind the laminar to turbulent transition or laminar separation point they won't do much of anything except maybe trigger the stall separation (above speculation).  Trip strips don't increase the Cl max and generally reduce Cl max, they mainly reduce the drag of laminar separation which generally is a very low Reynolds number phenomenon <300,000, a small chord of 9 inches or less at 50 mph.

I used 0.060" and 0.090" string trimmer line on my 4/4  Laser aft of the max chamber to see if they would improve aileron effectiveness, they didn't. Someplace I have video of them installed in flight with tufts. Basically the boundary layer was already turbulent by that point.

Your experience with the stall characteristics being sudden and violent is consistent with a separation trigger. Usually, or I should say desirably, a stall progresses from the TE forward in a more or less steady progression with AOA. This causes a smooth bend in the Cl curve. When the stall begins at the leading edge from turbulence, the separation is rapid and causes the discontinuity in the Cl curve. This type of stall creates the perfect driving conditions for the "snap roll ona string", visualize Jeff Dunam's Jose saying it.  With such a discontinuity of the stall curve one wing can easily loose 40% of it's lift in just 1 degree of AOA difference which can be created with a little bit of yaw especially with a swept wing or one having a bit of dihedral.

That one airplane does and other doesn't probably lies within the airfoil, thickness and location of the trip strip. The evidence is that one strip is thicker, photo comparison and is triggering separation on the other airfoil, test result. A minor difference in LE radius can also make a significant difference in behavior. This means, even though your airplane could be the same design with the same basic airfoil it is still different. The Learjet model 60 is so susceptible to this that there is an Airworthiness Directive which requires a Learjet test pilot to test fly any LJ60 that has had LE work performed during field maintenance before release to service.   

Here's a question regarding the observation of flight quality. The statement that the airplane can be flown slower through the flight with trip strips and VGs is kind of open ended. In what maneuver(s) does that come from? I find that I can fly my airplane much slower than I do by three or four tenths primarily because of line tension.

I think the bottom line to this is take them off and leave them off. At least on this one airplane.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 07:27:37 AM »
Here's a question regarding the observation of flight quality. The statement that the airplane can be flown slower through the flight with trip strips and VGs is kind of open ended. In what maneuver(s) does that come from? I find that I can fly my airplane much slower than I do by three or four tenths primarily because of line tension.

I think the bottom line to this is take them off and leave them off. At least on this one airplane.

At the NATS, I was having problems with the hourglass, specifically the second corner. I worked with Dave Fitzgerald, Brett, Paul and Howard. It was a simple fix, keep adding tip weight until I didn’t have issues. I did have to pitch the prop up some to keep the speed up because it is a bit heavy at 70oz. I never got super comfortable with the hourglass by top 20 day and all the wind.

Since the NATS, I worked on the airplane on trying to improve the overhead tension, all the while continuing to fly around 5.4-5.5. The VG installation provided some of that improvement. I could fly at 5.5 and not worry much about overhead tension anymore. I continued to work on it, and ended up adding a 2 square inch area tab to the outboard flap and that provided a dramatic increase in overhead tension. The airplane was the best plane I had ever had at the NATS, now it’s way, way better!!
Matt Colan

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 08:36:37 AM »
At the NATS, I was having problems with the hourglass, specifically the second corner. I worked with Dave Fitzgerald, Brett, Paul and Howard. It was a simple fix, keep adding tip weight until I didn’t have issues. I did have to pitch the prop up some to keep the speed up because it is a bit heavy at 70oz. I never got super comfortable with the hourglass by top 20 day and all the wind.

Since the NATS, I worked on the airplane on trying to improve the overhead tension, all the while continuing to fly around 5.4-5.5. The VG installation provided some of that improvement. I could fly at 5.5 and not worry much about overhead tension anymore. I continued to work on it, and ended up adding a 2 square inch area tab to the outboard flap and that provided a dramatic increase in overhead tension. The airplane was the best plane I had ever had at the NATS, now it’s way, way better!!

Okay that clarifies things quite well. In this case the VGs are within the realm or closely in realm of helping. It would be good to have a look at my AOA video and any of the other videos. The device on the wing tip was originally conceived as a reference device for doing things like evaluating the trim of the airplane and how much I suck at getting my angles set. The device is a box with two 60 degree supports. On squares the vertical posts should line up and the triangles and hourglass the 60's should line up. Look at pictures of 4/4 aerobatic airplanes and you'll see those funny looking triangular things on the wing tip, they are a reference sighting device.

Any hinging shows up as motion of the wing tip and therefore motion of me within the frame. My first "selfie" video you can see this fairly clearly as the wing tip exposing more view of me and less. To me, I thought I had the roll induced hinging fixed, I definitely was in the cross over zone weight wise. After seeing this, and knowing if I took weight out or added weight it would go backwards. I then calculated the area difference between inboard and out board and added a tab to equalize the flap areas to the outboard wing. All of the subsequent videos and I think the ones posted on SH are in the later configuration. I now have about thirty videos of the tufted wing in various configurations and wind conditions. Unfortunately I am a crappy note taker, I just learn lessons and move on.

My jury on VGs remains in deliberation. Certainly in aggressive maneuvering they will come in to play but I have to get very aggressive to get my airplane to go there, much more than required to fly the sequence. This can be a wing loading thing. A heavier airplane is going to approach the stall AOA much more frequently than a light one will and consequently will show more benefit of the addition of VGs. The only real thing I noticed moving to them was actually a reduction on line tension which I contribute to a likely asymmetric installation of the VGs. Most likely being that the inboard VGs are set ever so slightly different than the outboard ones. I'll remove them at some point in back to back flights to get a gooder B-A test than the A-B test. The initial test was a couple days between and perception is tough with such a long delay. Otherwise, I truly didn't get much perceived benefit on my airplane.
Life is good AMA 1488

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 09:24:30 AM »
I installed VG’s on my SV-11 after the 2017 NATS. The improvements were subtle but they were there. That plane is few ounces lighter at 66 ounces and a different wing. That plane locked better after hard corners with the VG’s installed. My Dracula airplane came after and it is super light at 57 ounces (59 with the 75) and I never installed them.

The SV wing I could stall before the addition of VG’s at that weight if I pushed it really hard. The extended geo-bolt wing I have been using now I have never stalled at 70oz, and especially not at 59. Just some tension problems trying to fly at slow speeds in a very demanding maneuver
Matt Colan

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2021, 10:07:12 AM »
I have an overweight model that I have not flown very much at our 6,000+ foot altitude.  It mushes/stalls badly in the corners.  At the recommendation of a member from the West Coast Cabal, I placed the zig-zag trip strips cut from electrician tape place at 15% of the chord.  The mush/stall went away.  Moved the strips to 10%, got even smoother turns and some semblance of a sharp turn with no mush.

I am certainly no expert on these things with very limited experience using them, but I would suggest moving your strips forward, away from the high point of your airfoil.

Keith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2021, 10:58:24 AM »
would suggest moving your strips forward, away from the high point of your airfoil.

Keith
I would like to second that.  I have never used them on a PA but I have extensive FF and Soaring experience with them.  We use mostly thread soaked in dope but they were never located that far back.  The last A-2 I built had three rows 1/4" apart starting 3/4" from the LE.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
I have an overweight model that I have not flown very much at our 6,000+ foot altitude.  It mushes/stalls badly in the corners.  At the recommendation of a member from the West Coast Cabal, I placed the zig-zag trip strips cut from electrician tape place at 15% of the chord.  The mush/stall went away.  Moved the strips to 10%, got even smoother turns and some semblance of a sharp turn with no mush.

I am certainly no expert on these things with very limited experience using them, but I would suggest moving your strips forward, away from the high point of your airfoil.

Keith

That's consistent with what I know as well as wind tunnel testing done by Michael Selig. At higher altitudes the Reynolds number is lower resulting in a higher likelihood of seeing laminar separation occurring. Your test result shows you're seeing that laminar separation. The most reliable position for turbulators is in the first few percent of the airfoil, around 5%. The impact of being too far forward is a slight increase in drag due to the greater turbulent / laminar boundary layer ratio. In CLPA that part doesn't matter much as it is measurably small. BTW the zig zag doesn't seem to have much performance advantage over a plain strip. What the test and empirical data shows is much stronger correlation to thickness and location than the other parameters, width and shape. About right on a 5 inch chord A2 airplane is around 0.010" and likely more like 0.015" on the larger CLPA airplane. As little as 0.002" can make an impact as well so the plastic films used for covering can be a trip.
Life is good AMA 1488

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 03:02:30 PM »
In an email exchange with Dave Fitzgerald, he also suggested that the tape was lifting in maneuvers but sticking in level flight and on the ground. I’m going to try again next time there’s a nice day and move them forward to see if it can be replicated or if it was just a piece of stunt voodoo
Matt Colan

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 03:12:19 PM »
From my limited experience with trip strips I gained very little benefit but I can see they could be trouble if placed too far back.  Howard’s VGs I found pretty effective on heavier airplanes when placed at 10% behind the leading edge as Frank Williams suggested to me.  Not much noticed further back or on lighter airplanes.  I do have trip strips just aft the leading edge of the stab on several airplanes to get turbulence started consistently on those surfaces.  I think that helps tracking at least.

Dave

Matt if you are willing to try it again (with caution)  move your zig zags forward to around 10% and see what happens.  Mine I cut from aluminum foil duct tape, cut both sides and 3/16" to 1/4" wide.  This tape is thinner that what you used by about half and stays down pretty well.  When you want them off douse them with rubbing alcohol to soften the gum and peal them up.  Being thinner the effect will be more subtle I'd think and shouldn't cause panic...the VGs are doing something different but not sure they are very effective where you have them.  When you dump those flaps the transition rolls well forward as the AoA increases.  I might guess as you have it configured, the transition rolled right across your strips and did something weird.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 06:07:38 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »
The zizzag strip is to trip the boundary layer from laminar to turbulent.  With an ic plane it happens early, the trip, and pretty much on its own.  With the zigzag tape, where you have it, its causing an already turbulent bl to completely separate.  Move the zz strips up to about 10-15 % of chord.  Tape at about 0,012 inch thick,

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »
zizzag

You gotta excuse Frank's spelling.  Could be the influence of fellow Houstonians ZZ Top.

Here's where natural transition happens on an Impact MAC airfoil without an engine shaking it.  I figure from this that strips at 25% chord or so would affect round maneuvers, and 15% or so would affect everything.  I've been putting them in different places. Now I have them at about 20% chord.  They look cool. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2021, 03:51:54 PM »
The zizzag strip is to trip the boundary layer from laminar to turbulent.  With an ic plane it happens early, the trip, and pretty much on its own.  With the zigzag tape, where you have it, its causing an already turbulent bl to completely separate.  Move the zz strips up to about 10-15 % of chord.  Tape at about 0,012 inch thick,

I have to agree here. But I would go further. The strip should be place 5% and doesn't need to be zig zag. Simply tripping the boundary layer before it transitions is sufficient. The experimental test results comparing the zig zags and simple wire or tape don't extract a clear benefit which put them in the category of if you like them then they are good. In a run I did for a 20% NACA airfoil with flaps the laminar to turbulent transition occurs at 6.7% at a high Cl consistent with what would be required for a sharp corner.  That's via a model and not test so the transition may be in a different location.

I think I have a good idea of the mechanism happening here but that begats another question which is why doesn't this happen more often? Seems like it should. The only thing I come up with is that in this event the trip tape is thicker as was able to actually get far enough up that it did cause separation. By calculation the boundary layer in the region should be about 0.006" which means a piece of tape less than 0.006" isn't going to do much.
Life is good AMA 1488

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here